1 Room available at Westin Snowmass at group rate

Started by Whee, June 18, 2019, 06:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whee

1 Westin Snowmass hotel room available at the Block rate of $129 a night (+taxes and fees). Monday 6/24 through Friday 6/29. Contact me if you want it and I'll give you the details to transfer to your name/credit card. First come first Served.

MiniDave

So, how many cars are you expecting, how many classics and how many new MINIs?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Looks like you guys are going to get nailed with rain Sat, but by Sunday it will be clearing up and the weather looks brilliant for the rest of the week!

We'll be driving thru the remains of what you had about half way across Kansas, but the rest of our trip will be clear.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I'll be at my sister's place just 10 min or so up the road from your compound, if there's anything you forgot that we can pick up and bring from your house for you.

If you don't have my number I can text it to you.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

If I didn't already have my racing green on the tow bar I would have been happy to pull it up there.....sorry. We should have plenty of tools with us unless something dramatic happens.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Y'all have fun and post as many pics and vids as you can. Safe travels.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

We'll see you later today (we hope), we're in Denver this morning, leaving for the meetup spot in about an hour.

All the way out we had trouble with Don's car running hot, at the second gas stop we found out the radiator was nearly empty, filled it up and it ran cool again, but within a hundred miles it was low and running hot again, so every 100 miles we had to stop and refill it.

Once we got to my brother and sister's place we put it in the garage and checked it over carefully. We found no leaks, internal or external.....plugs were all the same and normal looking, no milkshake on the dipstick, no leaks anywhere.....so we decided it might be the radiator cap not holding pressure....we swapped the one off my green car this am and as the meetup spot is about 50 miles away we'll see if that's it. If not, we'll stop every 75 miles or so and refill it till we get to Snowmass, then decide what to do next.

See you on the mountain!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Check hose clamps and anything clamping down fluid related under pressure.  Sometimes the leaks don't show till it's under max pressure.   

MiniDave

We arrived late yesterday afternoon,  but not without some "drama", this time it was on me.

As we approached the Eisenhower tunnel there were signs telling us there was a 30-45 min delay at the tunnel, so we peeled off and drove over Loveland Pass instead. Traffic wasn't bad and we saw another Mini just up the road from us. We had just crested the top of the pass when the green Mini gave a hard jump to one side, I didn't see anything wrong but we pulled over just a 100 feet or so down the road - the other Mini had stopped there. We chatted for a bit, the they pointed out I had a flat on the left front. No worries, I have a spare. Don got out the tools, I got out the jack and tire and we swapped it out - when I picked up the flat tire I could feel something inside it. We drove on down the pass and found a tire shop in Silverthorne - he popped the tire off the rim and just shook his head, saying he wasn't going to be able to fix this one. I looked at it and there was a neat hole right in the center of the tread, about 1/2" in diameter! Then he showed me what was in it - half of a set of long nose pliers!

I asked him to patch it anyway and that I would use it as a spare, which he did. $30 later we were on the road again, but a few miles down the road Don called me on the walkie talkie and said he smelled electrical burning in his car, we took the exit and tried to find what was wrong. The car didn't tow well with the spare, so we decided to put the original tire back on. We never found anything wrong with his car other than having to add water every 100 miles, so we pressed on and the electrical smell had pretty much stopped.

We drove the last 150 miles to the hotel and when we went to disconnect the green Mini from my Clubby, I found out what he was smelling - I had left the handbrake on (slightly) and he smelled my brakes cooking! They must have worn thru as much as they were going to as the smell had stopped. Later that night I borrowed a wrench and pulled the rear wheels and readjusted the shoes, each side took about 5 flats! But, the good news was the brake pedal came back up and after driving it around the hotel they felt OK.

Today was the big car show and I'll post pics and vids of that next. We also took a 5pm run to the top of Independence Pass and the car ran better than I expected!

Russ Foust is here with the new and improved Slggr Mini, the Acura V-6 engine is now turbocharged and making between 350 and 380 HP at the wheels - it's stupid fast. Gildred Racing is also here with one of their Super Coopers, also with a V-6 Acura motor in the back and also making about 350hp! I'll put up more info on both tomorrow.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad