Local Craigslist Cosmic Wheels - good deal?

Started by ADRay, June 14, 2019, 05:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

You cam always offer less, but after all these DO come with bad tires too!  ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Figure 20$ per wheel to have the OLD tires de mounted. (ok mabye $10 per) but thats after finding a shop that will do it.... time and effort to get that done.

Then add:
$300$ for a new set of rubber.  + 60-80$ to mount and balance those.

it all adds up. 50$ per seems better.

MiniDave

Probably spend $50 each refurbishing them too...
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

They are 13's so will they fit a mini???   If they are 6" then that is about the going rate.

MPlayle

Blowing up the pictures from the craigslist ad, the tires are 145SR10's.  That and the statement that they came off a Mini would indicate they will fit back on a Mini, just the listed 13" size is wrong.

As Brad (Willie_B) says, that seems to be the going rate for those particular Cosmic wheels.

BruceK

I think it is a bad deal.

Here's why:  Twenty years ago I had a set of old Cosmics (10 inch) and when I was having tires mounted, one wheel simple broke on the tire mounting machine as it was being held down - the alloy metal had crystalized and was supper brittle.  There was no indication it was a bad wheel - looked perfectly normal.  Obviously I was very glad the wheel broke on the machine rather than my car, and I threw all 4 wheels in the trash.  Personally, I would not trust the integrity of any old alloy wheel - it could be 50 years old - or older. 

There have been a lot of advancements in metallurgy and safety testing in the many decades since the Cosmic was introduced.  Why even mess with the unknown when you can have brand new Cosmic wheels for a lot less than the Craigslist price?

BRAND NEW Cosmic wheels are not very expensive at all.   They are £63 with VAT, so figure £52 without VAT.  That is just $66 per wheel, or $264 for a set of 4 wheels plus shipping.     I would bet that shipping for 4 wheels would be under $80 to the USA.

http://www.johnbrownwheels.com/products/jbw-60-x-10-cosmic.html

Edit:  JBW also sells wheel/tire packages where they mount new tires on your new wheels.  I bought them that way for my Mini several years ago.  Digging deeper, you can get the 10X6 Cosmic mounted/balanced with brand new Yokohama A008 tires for £107 each with VAT, so £88 with no VAT.  That converts to $113 per tire/wheel combo.  That's $452 for a set of 4 brand new wheels with tires, plus shipping!

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

I just sold 4 or 5 sets of older 10 inch alloy wheels i was saving but as they make copies now of most of the popular ones i decided to let them go.
Most of the wheels i sold it cost more to ship them than i actually got for the wheels but on the plus side i have a lot more space now.

ADRay

thanks everyone... good point about the possibility of the alloy being aged to the point of failure.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998