Towing with a BMW Mini

Started by Whee, June 09, 2019, 12:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whee

I know folks do it all the time in the UK, but I don't see it often here. @ BruceK , didn't you flat tow a classic with your new Mini once? Can you tell me about it?

Considering whether my GP2 would tow a light trailer & my Moke....

MiniDave

I flat tow my classic with my 2009 Clubman all the time, but not on a trailer. Mine's been to Tennessee, Texas and all over behind my Clubby.... and I'll tow it to Colorado in 2 weeks.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Hi.  Yes I have towed my Classic Mini extensively with my 2002 MINI R53.  I probably have 6000 miles towing it that way under my belt, the longest being out to MiniMeet West in San Diego from Dallas in 2016 and back again. No issues with the power, handling, or braking.  The MINI easily handles the task.   Of course I drive very conservatively with gentle inputs to steering and braking - just like any sensible person does when towing.  Easy to cruise at 70-75 mph.   Back in the 1990s I had a Mitsubishi Colt Turbo with less than 125 hp and I flat towed other Minis I owned back then with no problems, so it doesn't take a lot of power to pull a Mini.

I believe the BMW MINI is rated to tow up to 2000 pounds in Europe, but in litigation-happy America BMW shies away that recommendation. 

The first picture shows my towbar (Dan has modified it since then on the Mini end of things)  and the second photo is way out somewhere in West Texas where Dave and I stopped for lunch  on the way back from the MiniMeet. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad