Clearance of Ebay radiators

Started by ckwilliams, June 02, 2019, 02:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckwilliams

Good day, although this is my first post, I've been scouring this forum and have found the information on here to be a life saver. It has certainly helped me on how to manage issues on my Mini (and there are apparently a bunch). I've got a 1991 1275 JDM with a HIF44 carb and A/C.

The cooling system was unable to even keep up with spring weather here in Las Vegas, so I'm in the process of updating it. I picked up a 50mm aluminum radiator to replace the stock one. It looks like it is mounting too high to avoid contacting the bonnet. I haven't reattached the bonnet to test yet because of the other work being done in the engine compartment. Does my install look typical for the other similar radiators that other members have installed? Do you think addition grinding or cutting of the quarter panel will be needed to help with clearance?

Sorry for the attachments. I haven't figured out how to insert the images yet.

Thanks for your help!

MPlayle

Dan and Dave may chime in later, but that looks normal to me for those radiators.

ckwilliams

Excellent, I hope that trend in opinions continues!!! ;D

Thanks!!

MiniDave

Several of us have used these radiators with great success - I made a small notch in the fender right where that corner is touching to give it clearance. It gets plenty HOT here in Kansas too, although I'm sure not as warm as you guys in Vegas or Phoenix where my son lives..... but it absolutely cured my hot running issues.  77.gif

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ckwilliams

Thanks!! It has to be better than the old, original radiator. I've also swapped out the belts, upper and lower radiator hoses, and water pump so the system should be running better than new.

I should be fitting the bonnet in a few days. Keep your fingers crossed.

MiniDave

Be sure to get the fan on the right direction, one side is marked "engine"

They say it makes a difference in the efficiency - I never saw any but it sure made the fan louder when I turned it around the correct way - BTW, it's supposed to blow out the fender, not into the engine compartment.

I don't know how much experience you have with Minis so if you know this stuff already just ignore me   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ckwilliams

Thanks. Yep, I made doubly sure to install in the right direction. I don't want to pull everything out again. As small as the work space is in the engine compartment, I'm beginning to think that it might be easier to work on some parts of the engine by dropping it and the front subframe from the car. Definitely not ready to try that project yet though. ;D

94touring

Yes often times those radiators rub the inner wing on the corner of the radiator.  You can hammer it in a bit or cut a notch.  A piece of rubber to prevent metal on metal is an option too.

ckwilliams

Thanks! Are there typically any issues with the bonnet coming in contact with the top of that corner? I've lowered the radiator as far as I can with the upper hose position.

94touring

Jimini II

I had the same problem with a customer supplied alloy super wide radiator that he had owned too long to send back and did not want to "modify" his freshly painted fender drip rail.
I was able to loose the fan spacers and space the bottom bracket closer to the engine and i remade the top bracket with the two holes radiator mounting holes closer also to give me the clearance i needed.