'66 / '67 Resurrection

Started by bokbfok, May 31, 2019, 08:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Glad to see you back to work!

A008's are a great tire for a Mini, you will like them!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

Love the JPS style Valve cover! Growing up in Belgium in the 70's, everything cool was John Player Special black and gold! Awesome!!! And a black mini, my favorite!
1990 Rover Mini black

bokbfok

Tore down the front drive axle and suspension components yesterday and will tackle the rear today. I am making a list of thing to order. If anyone in the Tucson, AZ area needs anything from minispares and want to split some shipping cost, let me know. Will order later tonight.
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

bokbfok

Working on the rear hubs today. Noticed it still has ball bearings in. All the components on this car look new, but old if that makes any sense. Almost like it was newly restored 20 years ago and then just left in a field? I know the previous owner died in late 2000's and his daughter just left the car sitting.

So to the question, replace the new looking balls with rollers?
Cheers!
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

LarryLebel

Wait until the ball bearings wear out.

MiniDave

I agree with Larry, just repack them, new seals and they'll be good to go for years.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bokbfok

Thanks! I was totally going to do that, till the drivers side rear inner race decided to seize on the axle. So will be replacing them all.

Another question, what are the thoughts on HILO's?
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

94touring

Hi los are the only way to go in my opinion. 

bokbfok

My gut told me as much, but for someone who has always been on the side lines and never even driven in a Mini  :-[, I figured I would ask the experts!
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

94touring

For one it makes reassembling new suspension so much easier, and secondly with new or old cones allows you to get the ride height perfect.  Rather than rolling around extra high on new cones or bottoming out when they start to sag.

tmsmini

I second the hilos and also adding all the adjustable suspension bits. These cars were not consistent when they were new and at 50+ years they are even more out of square.

MiniDave

I agree, I like the lower control arms sold by Mini Sport best, they're very robust and very easy to set.

Front tie bars....  https://usa.minisport.com/c-8g4249-mini-sport-adjustable-front-suspension-tie-rod-pair.html

Lower control arms.... https://usa.minisport.com/spdsp431a-heavy-duty-adjustable-mini-bottom-suspension-arms.html

I also really like their Smooth A Ride rubber cones, they truly do make the ride a lot better without compromising the handling. If you haven't bought cones yet, consider these....it comes with the hi lo kit and shocks. https://usa.minisport.com/mslms0400-moulton-smootha-ride-kit-by-mini-sport.html

On the rear bearings.....a lot of people swear that you can only use Timken bearings - but I've found the std bearings sold by MiniSpares (and probably the same at Sport) are absolutely fine - I have more than 10K miles on a set in my Racing Green Mini right now with no issues. The thing you have to do is adjust them properly. Many people swear the only correct way to adjust them is to tighten the nut to 60ft lbs, that may have been right on the original ball bearings, but to do these new tapered bearings you do them like any other car..... snug up till they drag, back off till it spins freely and snug up just enough to remove all play, then put the cotter key in.

You'll need two sets of these....  https://usa.minisport.com/ghk1548-mini-rear-wheel-bearing-kit.html

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bokbfok

You guys are great!  4.gif

I just about bought all the bits needed.
Minidave: Thanks for the links and info on bearing adjustment! I got all those is some variety, with the exception of the lower arms. I will add it to my next order, which might be in a while! I do wish shipping was not so much! Damn Amazon prime! Any how, I will keep you posted as the bits come in and make it onto the car!
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

gr8kornholio

Yea, second on the bearing info, cause I'm sure my rear ones are just snugged down to the torque specs in the book.  Will redo with this method and use it one the fronts as well... or is that different?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

The fronts need 125? feet pounds of the torque.  If you don't torque them down like a mother they get loose.  Rears don't need to be wrenched down.  On my rear disc conversion it gives no torque value but says tighten till snug and things spin freely. 

MiniDave

Fronts are 165lb, latest cars were just shy of 200!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah I knew it was a shit ton.  Before buying my 300ft lb wrench I'd jump on a breaker bar to tighten.

MiniDave

I just use my impact wrench, tightens them up nicely, and takes them off with no effort or fuss!    77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

tmsmini

If you get the smootharide kit, just remember you need the special knuckles for future replacement:
https://usa.minisport.com/mslms0502-mini-sport-adjusta-ride-knuckle-joint.html

I am not sure what year the adjustaride "hilos" are on our one car, but they use standard knuckles.

MiniDave

That's why I suggested the kit, it comes with the knuckles, hi los and everything you need including shocks tuned for the kit.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bokbfok

Finally got all the parts in, going to start assembly this weekend. One Q, why not swap the left rear axle stub to a RHD thread?
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

BruceK

Quote from: bokbfok on October 24, 2019, 08:50:50 AM
One Q, why not swap the left rear axle stub to a RHD thread?

Tradition!!   ;D

And I guess a secondary reason might have something to do with an engineer long ago seeing a potential problem in some circumstances of it loosening itself. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

bokbfok

1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

bokbfok

This weekend I got the rear assembled, and started with the front. Got the new cone in on the passenger side and tried getting the hi-lows in. No luck. Guess I need the compressor? The old cones where so compressed that the trumpets just fell out and the cone came out no problem.

1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2