1974 Mini Marcos - tidying up

Started by MPlayle, May 25, 2019, 02:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I got out to the garage and did the alignment today.

I measured the existing settings prior to making any changes.  This is what a local service shop left it at from the second try at an alignment on a Hunter machine.

Left        Right
Caster         +7.25*     +9.5*    (degrees)
Camber       -0.75*      -2.0*     (degrees)
Toe (in/out)   0.0"       1-1/8" toe-in (inches)

I used a string "box" to get some "center line" references for each side, my bubble style caster/camber gauge, some home-made slide plates (two vinyl tiles, smooth sides together with grease between them) and a set of 24" toe plates.  I was able to get the desired settings Dave recommends: +3.0* caster, -0.5* camber (both sides) and 1/8" total toe-out.

I will take it out on the highway tomorrow to see how it feels. 

MiniDave

It should be immensely better, and easier to steer! That much caster is nuts!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

They had something registered wrong on their machine as I recall it was trying to tell them to shorten the control rods to go to a smaller angle.  When I read up on alignments, that was the wrong direction to be going.  Following the instructions for my bubble gauge, lengthening the control rod would push the wheel back and make a smaller caster angle.

The lesson I learned is their "techs" may be good at following the directions of the machine, but they do not know the geometry and function of the settings.  If the machine is not registering correctly, they still blindly follow its directions even though backwards.  They do not know the geometry and so cannot tell when the machine is not operating correctly.

MiniDave

I ran into this a lot when I taught steering and suspension at college, my solution was always to tell the kid to pull the car off the rack and roll it back on and start over. Sometimes the machines lose their way too - and you have to reset it to get it accurate.

A tool is only as good as the guy using it......

Waiting to hear how it drives now....... 77.gif

Oh, and yes, you lengthen those rods to reduce the caster angle.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Had the Mini Marcos out for a "test drive".  It handles much better - more stable in curves at speed on the highway.  It is still a light handling little car, but no longer feels like it is suddenly trying to plunge into hard turn halfway through a bend in the highway.

I'm gradually getting confidence in it for general running around.  Now if only the 95*+ temperatures would finally break.

gr8kornholio

You guys not getting any of this cold front coming in overnight?  Tomorrow high is 60 and think Sat. low is 40's
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

We're supposed to get some of the front tomorrow (Friday) morning.  Good for a couple days cool down into the 70's daytime and upper 50's overnight.  Back into the upper 80's to mid 90's by Monday/Tuesday.

MPlayle

54 years since the Mini Marcos "debuted" at the 24hrs of LeMans

http://maximummini.blogspot.com/2020/06/today-54-years-ago-mini-marcos-at-le.html

Mine is still for sale.

MPlayle

Some recent videos of the Mini Marcos.

Cold start:

Walk around:

Short drive:

Medium drive:

Willie_B

All the videos look good. Every time I see it I think how much fun it would be to drive.

BruceK

Michael, I like what you shot, but the video quality seems low.  Did you upload them in a low quality format?  Is the original video higher resolution (sharper images and better colors saturation?)

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just think a top presentation will help bring top dollar.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

You need to put some tape over the mic too, the wind noise ruins the sound on the video......or if you can get a remote mic to work on this camera and can put a wind sock over it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The driving and walk around videos were recorded in 1080p at 60fps.  The cold start was at 1080p and 30fps.  The cold start and walk around videos were uploaded as the original MP4 format.  The drive videos were edited using QuickTime on my Mac to clip them out from a single 20 minute drive video and so uploaded in the QuickTime 'mov' format.

I did have the windows open for air circulation since they were taken on a morning that already had temps well over 90* by noon (some of the recent 100*+ days).  There is less air noise than many of the comparable drive videos on BaT.

The camera is supposed to support an external microphone, but did not come with one and I do not have any form of one to try.

MiniDave

Then just put a piece of duct tape over the mic opening, it will cut down the wind noise considerably.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad