1974 Mini Marcos - tidying up

Started by MPlayle, May 25, 2019, 02:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Starting a new thread under the "Maintenance" category for some of the little things the Mini Marcos needs.

I've started a list of things to address on it:
- locking door handles
- possibly change the seats
- fix/replace the headliner - sagging in places and ragged edges at window/door openings
- replace the rubber floor mat with proper fitting carpet
- fix/replace trim panels to fit better
- replace vintage 4-point racing seatbelts with standard ones (done)
- fix issue with headlight high-beams not working (done)
- replace RHD column switch set with LHD set (parts ordered)
- upgrade taillight bulbs to brighter LEDs
- add third "high mount" brake light
- add manual reverse light
- verify accuracy (or inaccuracy) of speedometer (possibly change to electronic)
- adjust idle up slightly (new process for me as this is my first Mini with dual carbs)

As Noted in the list, I have already done the headlight fix (and passed the state inspection) and changed out the seatbelts.

I also ordered a set of new column switches for LHD cars so I can avoid hitting the wipers when I want to signal a turn.

MiniDave

Aren't those column switches a pain? I changed them over on Buzz too....the only issue with swapping them is you're using your shifting hand to operate the signals too....but I prefer them the "correct" way for us.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

The car is LHD and right now the turn signal switch is on the right (same hand as for shifting) and the wipers on the left.  The set I've ordered are opposite - turn signal on the left, wipers on the right.

Getting the new switches has a second purpose as well - hopefully more reliable connections.

MiniDave

Oh, for some reason I thought it was right drive....why the heck would it have right drive switches I wonder?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Switches come from the "donor" car when building one of these.  That was probably the case back when this one was first built - donor may have been a RHD Mini.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Started some of the tidying today.  I started with replacing the side mirrors.  I took off the small bullet mirrors that are about 3-5/8" diameter and put on some rectangular ones that about double the viewing area.

MPlayle

Next up was swapping out the steering column switches from the original RHD set to a new LHD set.  There were two reasons for the swap: a) the connections in the switches were being a bit unreliable, and b) putting the turn signal lever on the left for a LHD car so I would quit triggering the wipers instead of signalling a turn.

BruceK

Michael, you mentioned you are looking for a center mount brake light.   

I highly recommend getting one from this guy.  He offers the top quality Hella brand, so German engineering.  You may have seen the 3rd brake light I got from him on my Mini. I've had people mention that the noticed how bright it is.  The ones he sell are made in New Zealand and also meet all Australian Design Rules criteria, so it's not just Chinese junk.   

The website is a little strange and the guy is a little idiosyncratic, but he's an engineer so I guess that goes with the territory.   Apparently he is highly regarded with the Porsche crowd. 

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

I'm into the next couple of tidying projects on this car already as well.

1) The seats are some older Cobra classic bucket styled seats and both have seen better days.  The support straps for the seat bottoms have aged and broken.  New seats in a standard classic bucket style have been ordered and are due to arrive Monday (June 10th).

2) As seen in the pictures of the changing out the steering column switches, there is no carpeting on the main floors.  There was some thick, flat, smooth rubber mat laying in a single sheet across the front floors and another across the rear floors.  I am measuring and making templates for putting more proper carpet in place.  It has to be done in more pieces due to the cross framing on the floor for the custom roll-cage that is in the car.

3) I am also working on a fix to an "engineering design flaw" in the structure of the roll-cage.  The cage has anchors into the subframes.  The rear does not appear to have issues, but the front had a design flaw that caused an interference with the steering.  The lower bar of the anchor braces on each side was far enough out that on hard turns the inside edge of the tires would rub on the brace.  After consulting a couple of specialty shops and getting some nebulous responses, I decided to remove just the offending bar on each side and patch the holes through the wheel wells.

The following pictures are in order showing the problem and the progress on removing the bar on one side.  I have the bars removed on both sides and am beginning the process of patching the holes.

MPlayle

Some more progress today.

I did fiberglass patching of the holes in the wheel wells today.  I'm happy with how it turned out.  (First two pictures.)  Tomorrow, I will top-coat with a flexible sealer to finish the patches off on both sides.

I also refined several of my templates for carpet sections and made other various measurements for making more templates.  I even installed a few small sections of carpeting.  (Next three pictures.)

The new seats and locking door handles also arrived today.  Pictures of those later as they get installed.

MPlayle

The rest of the main carpet is now in.  I replaced the door handles with locking ones and have begun recovering the door cards.

I have also been planning, measuring, re-measuring, re-planning, and re-measuring how to approach covering the interior body sides and headliner.  I think I finally have down how I'm going to do the sides and back area.

jedduh01

MPlayle

Some more progress:

The main carpet for the rear cargo area is redone in the grey.

Started the vinyl on the interior sides.  It will wrap to the top of the door and side window where it will meet the headliner.

One door card finished and reinstalled.

MPlayle

A bit more progress to report:

Trimmed out the inside of the rear hatch cover.

Completed the other door card.

Installed the right rear main covering (grey vinyl).

Installed the recovered right rear side panel.

Covered most of the right rear shock tower with carpet.  I have to make a template for the top piece.  I am going to make a stiff backing for it and velcro it down as it needs to be removable for accessing the hole for reaching the top shock nuts.

MiniDave

Coming along nicely, what are you doing for the headliner?

There's a red Mini Marcos here at EMW, I'll get you a pic, but they knew about your car!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I'm going to use a charcoal grey felt for the headliner.  It is very close to the same color as the carpet.

My car made the intro page for the Marcos Club website as the June "Car of the Month".

There is also apparently a small pocket of Mini Marcos cars in the general Portland area and mine was know as a part of that group.

MiniDave

Right, they knew who had owned it - not that I remember the name.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The previous owner's name is David Munsey.

If you have a chance, let the folks with the red Marcos know about this thread.

MPlayle

The weekend was spent at my nephew's wedding.  As a result, there was a gap in progress, but I did get a few more hours yesterday and today on it.

I started the left rear side covering and did a "skirt" piece for the very rear of the cargo hatch area.  I also did the carpeting over the left rear wheel arch & shock tower cover.

Willie_B

Coming along nicely. That color really makes the interior much brighter. Looks great.

drmini

The red one at the Mini Meet is owned by Mike (Crazy Mike) Kimball and Amanda Silverstein in Sacramento.

MiniDave

Is that the hood prop clipped in the back? Or to hold the deck lid up?

It has got to be hot out there, working in that garage - even with the fan blowing!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The wooden rod is the rear hatch prop. 

There is a metal bonnet prop that attaches in similar clips along the right door sill.  The bonnet prop has been constructed to attach to the dzus fasteners that normally hold the bonnet closed.  It is sitting on a shelf at the moment because of all the getting in/out and sitting across the door sill involved in doing the interior - I did not want it in the way. 

There is also a wooden dowel under the rear deck for holding that up for access to the spare and tools.

It does get hot working in the garage.  I do about 3 hours work before having to quit and go inside the apartment to cool off.  Thus the slow progress.  (Being more of a "night owl" person does not help either as I always seem to get a late start.)

MPlayle

The latest progress:
- I installed some heal pads onto the front carpet sections below the pedals and matching position on the passenger side.
- I finished up the grey vinyl and black side panel for the left side.

Now I get to move on to doing the headliner.  I have some medium (charcoal) grey felt I am going to glue in place for the headliner.  I did some measuring to better size the starting piece.  I will cut down what I have to the initial size and begin fitting over the weekend.

After the headliner will be installing the new seats, re installing the rear quarter-light windows, and reinstalling the rear hatch cover.

Then I will consider what to do about the inaccurate speedometer.  It reads about 20% low across the whole range: 30mph indicated is 36mph by GPS, 50mph indicated is 60mph by GPS.  I am considering going with a matched set of the new smiths electronic speedometer and tachometer.