Master cylinder bean can fluid level

Started by jeff10049, September 22, 2019, 12:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Lost brakes in the 60 mini the pedal went low turning into a parking lot so was cautious on the way home got worse with each stop last stop was hand brake.

Problem was very simple fluid level. Apparently the bean can style masters need to be full not 3/4" down but full mine was maybe 3/4" down and that was all it took to get air in the system.

I am assuming this is normal? It would explain why I have seen cap extensions on the bean cans on other cars.

I have a cut open bean can somewhere I don't recall the holes being that high up but maybe in a braking turn, it could expose a port.

Anyway, fluid top-up and bleeding and the brakes are great again.

94touring

Anything less than 3/4 and I top mine off. 

jedduh01

Good to know .. I keep mine about 1/4 below the TOP opening = not just the threaded part.   I feel like thats high enough / has worked for me, keeps tooooo much from splashing out. making a mess.

MiniDave

Why would it splash out? Oh wait, I get it, just below the cap.....

BTW, are you going to CMU 60 in Wytheville?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

CMU Bound =YES SIR!   We can all compare the splashes of brakefluid!

My Pickup is already in Wytheville, awaiting our arrival.

My 63 ill drive up ( i need a family car there) as my wife and 2 children will join us all for Saturday.

My Moke is TBD... not enough drivers! 

MiniDave

What about Cole? Ben? Haven't heard from him in a while
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

I would think a 1/4" is ok just add it as it gets lower mine was making a mess thats why I let it get to where it was. I have silicone fluid so at least it won't eat the paint.

Like I mentioned earlier I have seen these on a number of cars so I must not be the only one that had an issue.
  http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/BHA4661.aspx

I don't care for the look so I'll just stay on top of it.

tsumini

Yeah I filkled mine to the rim and it puked out of cap vent. Second time I didn't fill it full.