998 with an HIF44 carb

Started by knowell, August 26, 2019, 02:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowell

Purchased my Mini a couple months ago and identified my carb to be an HIF44. I have a standard non modified 998.

From my research this carb seems to be oversided and better suited with with an HIF38

I plan to install a stage one kit from minispares and hoping this will compensate and balance out the oversized carb. Would like some input if anyone has this setup?

How bad is an HIF44 on a standard 998?

Willie_B

The engine that is going in the moke I am building is a 60 over 998, 10.5/1, fully balanced, large valve head. I am still going to use a HIF38. The smaller size will keep the flow speed higher in the lower revs and help with torque. It is a street motor so I want bottom end. The HIF44 would be ok there but flow more at higher revs like a race motor.

MiniDave

What he says /\

You want a smaller carb on the smaller displacement motor, it can't draw enough volume of air to utilize the larger one.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

knowell

I guess it would probably be best to sell off the hif44 and get a 38. Curious If anyone else has this setup and can chime in the results. I have notice quite a bit of lag/less torque and less than normal top speeds that I've read most get. Granted I have not checked the timing or valves

94touring

Hif38 and don't forget a stub stack for maximum velocity efficiency.

https://www.med-engineering.co.uk/med-stub-stacks

MiniDave

The easy way to tell a 38 from a 44 is the throat size, 38 is 1 1/2", 44 is 1 3/4", so make sure of what you have first.

Unless you can trade it for what you need for your engine, I would keep the 44 and use it on a 1275 at a later date. The stub stack does help the performance as Dan says and make sure you have a good flowing air cleaner too...K&N is the best according to the "wizard".   77.gif

Having the correct needle and spring setup is also important, ask Dan how many combinations he's gone thru getting his engine set up just right.

The carb is always the last thing you do, make sure timing and valve adjustments are correct, and that the advance in the dizzy is working too.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

knowell

Thanks for all the input.

I'll order a stub stack along with the stage 1 kit and see how it performs. Will definitely be checking my timing and valves prior to installing my stage 1 and re-tune.

as far the needles im ordering AAA and AAU and see which performs best.

94touring

If you go all out like I did with the tuning, install a wideband and then you'll know exactly what you have going on.