Windscreen installation

Started by tsumini, May 11, 2019, 09:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

need opinions.
Windscreen instrall Planning. Getting a little gun shy, everything i touch lately has a problem it seems so was wondering is $125 each for winscreen install reasonable?
Talking with a auto glass installer with experience. Front is new and rear is original dated 1959 so don't want it broke. I supply all the parts.

94touring

Probably fair.  It only takes me 20 minutes give or take to do each, but I've done them countless times.

tsumini

Maybe i can get my son to help me do the front nad see how it goes. Do you use any special tools like the videos?

94touring

Filet tool, the heavy duty one and some form of lube.  Need a flat head to work the glass into the rubber.  There's some tricks to it but if you take your time it's doable.

MPlayle

Some years ago when replacing the seals for the rear windows on a Mini Estate, I used a pair of plastic bicycle "tire spoons" to manipulate the seal while putting the glass in.  I had read using the plastic ones would have less chance of chipping the glass or tearing the new seal.

Jimini II

Quote from: tsumini on May 11, 2019, 09:41:48 AM
need opinions.
Windscreen install Planning. Getting a little gun shy, everything i touch lately has a problem it seems so was wondering is $125 each for windscreen install reasonable?
Talking with a auto glass installer with experience. Front is new and rear is original dated 1959 so don't want it broke. I supply all the parts.

No i think $125 each is high.

The Mini windshield is installed differently to most as you install the seal on the car and fit the windshield into the seal.
I have used the plastic levers from Harbor Freight which work well with plenty of lube just take your time.
To install the filler strip go to a body shop supplier and as stated get the good one the pro's use.
Don't break your smaller rear glass they are not cheap or plentiful.

drmini

All good advice.  Make sure and have a helper.  Work a little on one side then work a little on the other.  Keep doing this until it drops down into the rubber at the top.  Not as bad a job as you think it is.  Yes, $125 per is way too high IMHO.

94touring

Fwiw I charge 50 each but I know a mini owner in OKC was quoted 125-150ish and I told him to make the drive to me.  Take your time, work each end like drmini suggest, and put some towels down on your windscreen panel so if/when the glass slips out on initial rubber insert it doesn't ding your panel.

94touring

When I did Stans windows at Dave's it was middle of winter and freezing ass cold.  Brought my propane heater to warm the garage and soaked the rubber in hot water.  Knocked out the headliner at the same time.  Did it all easily for half the price a shop would have charged him plus didn't require trailering it around town to have shops do each.

MiniDave

When Deighton replaced both his Safelite charged him $150 ea, FWIW, but they did a great job.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

drmini

Where are you located? Perhaps there's another Mini owner nearby that could help.  If you're somewhere between TN and my next road trip I'd stop by and help you.

tsumini

Drmini thanks for the offer. I live close to Tyler TX but am on my way to Colorado until late July so it'will have to wait. Right now I'm incline to have it done since it's fairly reasonable.

jeff10049

I did mine it was easy the lock strip tool is worth it. I consider it mandatory especially if you are using a chrome lock strip. Some say they work the strip in without the tool I never had any luck myself.
  I have always used dish soap lubing the rubber it works fine sprayway brand glass cleaner works well when installing the lock strip as a lubricant.

I just wanted to have it done but all the glass guys kept flaking out on me and another company refused to do old cars. The last one I called won't install customer supplied/old glass. In the end, I'm glad I did it myself it's a good skill to learn.

Jeff

tsumini

Yeah the shop I've talked with still haven't assured me they could do it so we'll see.

tsumini

So I decided to give it a try with front one knowing it would be a fiasco learning. And so it was. Had a hell of a time getting the windsctreen into the channels. Seemed to be touchy and would pop out different places. The locking channel seemed odd. Mine locking strip tool is due tommorrow so it looked like I jus had to get the strip started and it would lock in the windscreen. My wife was helping me keep it in place. I decided to wait thil the tool arrived tommorrow and fiddled around getting it in place. Then it just kinda popped out all over and before i knew it its was completely undone. Didnt fall or break so that was good.
I started to put the gasket back on and noticed the the two grooves were different sizes; one noticably wider than the other. With my luck running true to form, sh*t I had it on backwards. So i cleaned it all up and put it on right. It allready looks better but didn't have time to put in the windscreen. Now that I've had practice I think I can do it. Try again tommorrow.
This is much worse than getting the fan on backward.
1st pic gasket on wrong way i was thinking the windscreen was too small.
2 pic gasket on correctly

94touring

Now you know why I said protect the scuttle!  The hard part is getting it started to where it doesn't pop out, it's all downhill from there.

tsumini

Yeah found out getting it started is the hard part. With the gasket in right it looks easier.
Never saw or read a warning about installing gasket wrong.. Shoulda been obvious but ...

tsumini

...and Bob's your uncle.
Finally got windscreen installed. After puttin in gasket correctly it went about like posters said. had some trouble getting the top corners in but eventually secured them. Found out after seating that the bottom center of windscreen was not seated in its groove (lip of seal turned under)a nd was rocking in and out at the corners. Locking strip wasn't too difficult neede a couple of restarts to get used to using the tool. Hopefully the rear will go in faster since I'm "experienced".
Thasnks to a tip on this forum Cost was decent. $ 105 for screen $35 for oversize fee and $19 for shipping for total of $159. Moss motors.

Anyway the headliner is due back tommmorrow. Took it to an expert(I think) she showed me how to tighten up the fabric with a curved needle and stetching. Staples as noted in the Newton instructions just dont do it. $150 for both parts. 
Now to continue putting in the interior, carpet etc. Not taking it to Colorado the summer so not much will be done til I get back. Sold the cabin so need to clean it up. Then coming back here in July since I'll be homeless there.

94touring

The rear is actually easier, and now you have experience!

tsumini

So after two days I look nat the lockstrip and he chrome is stained at each end of the splice. I used simple greem soapy water but wondering if there was some separation at the chrome interface. Anybody seen this before. Thinking that I'll have to replace and carefully trim both ends to avoid separation.
???

MiniDave

I've seen Simple Green do all sorts of nasty stuff to chrome and aluminum, I would never use it. If you need something to use as lube, I'd use a capful of Dawn or the like mixed in water.

I think you'll have to redo that trim.....

Dan uses WD40 as lube I think......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

tsumini

Yeah afraid of that. Oh well $10 for a new one isn't gonna break me.
Odd, I talked with a welder and he swore by simple green. Best cleaner for heli arc welding per him.
Thanks

MiniDave

Yes on steel, not aluminum or chrome....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

I use wd40 as a lube when installing new glass and seals
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell