Grille buttons

Started by ADRay, April 11, 2019, 08:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

I'm sure most of you have seen these before. I picked these up from Mini Sport for around $10. Before that, the grille was held on by 2 screws, a zip tie and a prayer. Install was easy, and they are not only functional, but look pretty sharp too.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

I have them on my car too, and while it sure makes it easy to take the grill out and replace it, you have to be careful you don't crush those slats by overtightening, or lose one of the nuts by undertightening. I've done both.... ::)  :(
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

yes, I have been checking them after drives, still tight. I also positioned the posts to go through the vertical steel braces of the grille, so there is a little bit of reinforcement for the aluminum slats. My grille is already a little wavy in some sections too.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Jimini II

After buying a few sets of grille buttons for several Minis i now use riv nuts with stainless phillips head screws in between the slats so there is no pressure on the slats and you can't see them once installed.

jeff10049

Quote from: ADRay on April 12, 2019, 04:34:10 AM
yes, I have been checking them after drives, still tight. I also positioned the posts to go through the vertical steel braces of the grille, so there is a little bit of reinforcement for the aluminum slats. My grille is already a little wavy in some sections too.

My grille is also wavy.

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

thebluepotato

I love mine....and in fact, I lost one last year and didnt realize that you can buy these individually from MiniSpares, sport, etc.  Saves me a TON of time when working on the front.