Clutch issues

Started by Mudhen, March 25, 2019, 04:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Throwing the white flag...frickin' clutch issues on my '65.  21.gif

A few years ago I got sick of always having troubles with it [the clutch] and went through all the pins, etc.  They were a MESS.  But after cleaning/replacing everything all was finally well.  And then last summer it started shifting a little harder than normal.  Then it would take multiple pumps of the pedal so I could shift...and then it wouldn't shift.  So down she went.

Assuming hydraulics but not sure master or slave I just figured I'd do both (even though the master was still purty from being replaced maybe 5k miles ago).  So today I replaced them.  Still not working!  I can see the arm moving nicely now but still can't shift.

Maybe more bleeding?  It must be hydraulics, right?  The way it was behaving last year???  I just put a new disc in it when I had the engine out...in 1989... 

Thanks guys.

jedduh01

Sounds Hydrolic.,...   Make sure it is bled well.

Next move to the clutch arm = Check the Free play...  you want some Free-play in the arm motion and the bearing action..  but not alot.  Pull the arm manually out towards the fender .  if there is alot of 'loose movement' there is too much freeplay and the hydrolic motion does not push enough to disengage the clutch... Adjust the small 1/4 nut out a few  flats to take away some freeplay.
  There is a technical spec. but its Minimal...

next.. check into the ARM BALL on the end of the lever arm. =  they can wear a flat spot also the the CLutch Plunger can wear too  If very worn they will require more 'movement' to actuate..

Since your clevis's are good and Hydrolics are good.. those should be the next investigation places.

drmini

Replace the flexible hose from the hard line to the Slave Cylinder.

Mudhen

Thanks guys.

I'd messed with the settings last year after attempts to bleed it didn't solve the problem.  Put them back yesterday.  And I'd replaced the hose with a stainless one a few years ago.

But problem solved (I hope).  The instructions on setting the throwout stop say to tighten it one extra flat, which I did.  By backing it out a couple from there (so essentially one since it was one flat tighter per the spec) it's working.

I guess the question now is why...maybe just making up for some wear in the disc?  And I do worry a little about how far out the slave cylinder pushrod is moving...

Jimini II

Don't worry the slave cylinder has a circlip inside it it won't overthrow itself.
Also make sure the 2 big nuts on the plunger are adjusted and not hitting the cover before you have full travel.

MiniDave

Glad you got it going again!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

This made it worth it!

Sitting there watching him completely struggle to shift it highlighted all the little tricks I've learned to use over the years.  Double clutching, always going to second before going into first...and probably just being firm and direct.  He was super nervous, but gotta do it sometime!

Rosebud

Quote from: jedduh01 on March 25, 2019, 06:08:34 PM
...check into the ARM BALL on the end of the lever arm. =  they can wear a flat spot also the the CLutch Plunger can wear too  If very worn they will require more 'movement' to actuate.

Sounds like you got it sorted. Excellent! Still, don't underestimate the issues a worn lever arm ball can cause. https://www.facebook.com/notes/poser-motorsports/tiny-crack-big-problem/1915581398514527/
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

MiniDave

You only need to actually move the release bearing about 1/8" to release the clutch, when the clutch arm, ball, or even the pivot pins wear, they introduce play - add up enough play and there goes your 1/8" of movement.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: Rosebud on May 29, 2019, 08:44:30 PM
Quote from: jedduh01 on March 25, 2019, 06:08:34 PM
...check into the ARM BALL on the end of the lever arm. =  they can wear a flat spot also the the CLutch Plunger can wear too  If very worn they will require more 'movement' to actuate.

Sounds like you got it sorted. Excellent! Still, don't underestimate the issues a worn lever arm ball can cause. https://www.facebook.com/notes/poser-motorsports/tiny-crack-big-problem/1915581398514527/

It does not take much especially if it is made from Chinesium steel.
I know of a Mini owner that got tired of replacing his with new Chinese ones and ended up welding his original one and re profiling it and afaik it is working fine.

Mudhen

I heard the Chinese ones were really expensive but don't know why.

:D

MiniDave

That was my biggest gripe on buying Chinese parts, the inconsistency of the metal work.

I unknowingly bought a few Chinesium bearings for my manufacturing plant, some lasted weeks, some lasted months. I replaced them all for good measure, since I knew I would eventually any way. But this was a decade ago, I would have thought they were better by now.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

Quote from: Mudhen on March 26, 2019, 10:17:50 AM
This made it worth it!

Sitting there watching him completely struggle to shift it highlighted all the little tricks I've learned to use over the years.  Double clutching, always going to second before going into first...and probably just being firm and direct.  He was super nervous, but gotta do it sometime!

watch out, he might snatch that from you 😬
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Mudhen

Quote from: ADRay on May 30, 2019, 01:51:20 PM
Quote from: Mudhen on March 26, 2019, 10:17:50 AM
This made it worth it!

watch out, he might snatch that from you 😬

I keep mulling over selling it...pisses him off to no end!   ;D

MiniDave

I had an early Cooper S, and for years my then very young son was convinced it was his car as soon as he got old enough. I had to sell it when he was 12 and I don't think he's forgiven me yet - and he's 50 now!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

Quote from: MiniDave on May 31, 2019, 06:06:51 AM
I had an early Cooper S, and for years my then very young son was convinced it was his car as soon as he got old enough. I had to sell it when he was 12 and I don't think he's forgiven me yet - and he's 50 now!

:D

I'd be in the same boat I'm afraid.  ;D