Author Topic: Questions and advice about adjustable front and rear suspension  (Read 162 times)

Offline bikewiz

So after much deliberation and because I have the front of my car apart, I'm thinking of replacing the front lower arms and tie bars with adjustable ones.
Figuring I'm spending some $$ on the front I should do the rear too in an effort to improve the handling and minimize rear tire wear.

I've somewhat settled on Mini Spares lower arms with spherical joints (part #C-AJJ3360A) and adjustable tie bars (part#21A1092) based mostly on reading about them on the forums and the price compared to the similar KAD set up.

The rear brackets appear to be all over the place in regards to price and recommendations. The brackets from KAD look like most everything they do, highly recommended, nicely made, well finished, and expensive ($138 + shipping) The Mini Spares (MS73EVO @ $50 or so + shipping) and the Mini Sport (MSLMS0510 @ $55 or so + shipping) both appear OK but have mixed reviews in regards to set-up and retaining their settings, I think Dan modified his to keep the setting?

So everyone on the 'net has an opinion or has real experience, what's the consensus? I have an alignment/tire shop that will set the car up (the car just fits on their alignment table) but time is money in their book so me taking the stock fixed brackets and modifying them isn't really an option. I'm leaning toward the KAD brackets and would pull the trigger except for the price.

Offline 94touring

Re: Questions and advice about adjustable front and rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:32:52 AM »
I drilled my rear out and bolted it solid where I wanted it.  They get the job done but I'm sure others are better.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:09:51 PM »
I like the MiniSport rear camber adjusters, I think they are the easiest to set up and I've only  had one issue with them moving on me - and that was when I went to tighten the retaining nut, the serrated washer would cause the setting to walk. So, remove serrated washer - replace with hardened flat washer - end of problems.

I also prefer the MiniSport lower arms with bushings, I find rod ends wear and get noisy. They are super easy to set up and well made. I've had them on several cars.

https://usa.minisport.com/spdsp431a-heavy-duty-adjustable-mini-bottom-suspension-arms.html
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline gr8kornholio

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
I'll have a set of the minispare evo available, as soon as I take them off and replace them with the minisport ones.  The sport just seem way simpler in design and for adjustment.  No tiny little nuts and bolts in the way or hard to reach places. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Offline Rosebud

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
I wrote a piece not long ago about my experence with adjustable rear radius arm brackets:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/poser-motorsports/adjustable-rear-radius-arm-brackets/2463419833730678/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:56:07 PM by Rosebud »
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports