Help with roof sill.

Started by SoCalMiniFan, May 07, 2019, 09:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalMiniFan

Sadly my Mini hasn't had an indoor spot since I got her so she's been parked in a spot in my yard, breaking ground on the Mini Mansion (garage) July 1st.  I keep her covered to help with sun damage but I've got rust forming around the roof line and the stuff between the roof and body is chunking out.

My #1 priority right now is to remove the rust, clean up the rest of the roof, prime, and rattle can with matching purple paint for the time being. I have a few questions though. 

First what is the stuff between the sill and the body?  I've attached a picture where it's chunking off.  I'm assuming it's a seam sealer of sorts.  I can reseal it before painting but I want to make sure I use the right stuff.

Second, I'm not going for professional or really any thing amazing but I realize I need to address the rust now before is a bigger issue. I'm pretty good with prepping and painting metal but  tips, tricks, or advice is much appreciated.

"If it's not fun, why do it?"

jeff10049

It is seam sealer some choose to leave it out. If you put it back epoxy prime first and use a two component seam sealer like this. https://www.semproducts.com/product/dual-mixtm-seam-sealer/sealer#product-related

A spot blaster can be really handy for cleaning up rust in small areas like seams.
https://www.tptools.com/Speed-Blaster-and-Hot-Spot-Spot-Blaster-Kit,7206.html

MiniDave

I think a wire brush on an angle grinder works well at getting down into the seam for the bulk of it. I'm a bit worried about the corner there.....those can be tough to make out of flat sheet, with their compound curves.

While Jeff's way is the right way long term, if it's a temp fix I'd just brush some Rust Oleum down in there after you have it all cleaned out, enough that it flows down in the crack and fills it nicely.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I remove factory gutter seam sealer because it cracks and chunks up.  A pick and wire wheels gets it all out.  Ideally you sealer primer the bare metal in the gutter before paint.

SoCalMiniFan

Thanks guys.  I've done my fair share of paint/rust removal and know my way around with an angle grinder, wire wheel so I'll give it a solid go and see how it turns out. 

I'll post some pictures when I'm finished. 
"If it's not fun, why do it?"