Fuel Level Sending Unit: Resistance?

Started by Rosebud, February 28, 2019, 10:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosebud

Does anyone here have a good understanding of fuel level sending units? My sending unit, along with my Smiths gauge has always read backwards. When the tank is full, the gauge reads E. When the tank's empty, the gauge reads F. It's not a big deal, I tell people it's a British thing. E stands for "Entirely full," F is for "Fuel needed." I thought perhaps it was simply a polarity issue. After reversing the positive (+) and negative (-) leads, I realized it was a bit more complicated. I now understand sending units use to resistance to send their signal to the gauge.

I was fine with the backward reading gauge, but lately the gauge has become wonky and unreliable. So, I'm going to replace the sending unit and might as well get one that reads correctly. The problem is I don't know whether I need one that uses high resistance to signal a full tank, or low resistance to indicate full. Is there anyone here that would know?

To complicate matters, I have a fuel cell with a neoprene bladder that requires a sending unit with an enclosed float (see pic). I'm sure that will limit my choices. But, let's start with the resistance issue first. Thanks!
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

MiniDave

As the float raises, the resistance lowers. Proof of this, if you ground the wire at the float (no resistance) the gauge reads full- or should.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

It depends a bit on the fuel gauge as well.  Very early gauges required high resistance for full and low resistance for empty.  Those were not used for very long before being changed to the more common method Dave described - low resistance for full and high resistance for empty.  The typical Mini gauge seems to want about 90 ohms for full and 270 ohms for empty. 

Rosebud

My Smiths gauge is about 8 years old, so I'm guessing it's not one of the early units. So, low resistance for empty, high resistance for full. Got it! Thanks guys!
Rosebud

MPlayle

Caution!  Just saying "low resistance for full and high resistance for empty" does not mean you will get it right or even close.  There are several different ranges that meet that definition.  Pick the wrong one and your fuel gauge will be very inaccurate.  You need to find the nearest match to the 90-270 range.

MiniDave

Yeah, well I've found the Mini fuel gauges are only accurate in two places - empty and full!   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Picking the right range sender is more about getting those two ends reasonably accurate.

Rosebud

Quote from: MPlayle on March 01, 2019, 10:20:01 AM
Caution!  Just saying "low resistance for full and high resistance for empty" does not mean you will get it right or even close.  There are several different ranges that meet that definition.  Pick the wrong one and your fuel gauge will be very inaccurate.  You need to find the nearest match to the 90-270 range.

Thanks MPlayle. I'll be shopping for a sending unit in the 90-270 range. Will advise.
Rosebud