Shopping for a new air compressor

Started by MiniDave, February 20, 2019, 09:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

My old compressor is pretty tired,, I've had it for about 30 years and rebuilt it once already so I'm thinking it's time to not only get a new one but maybe to upgrade too.

To that end I'm looking at a 60 gal upright, running on 240 volts. This will present some additional challenges as I'll have to install a sub panel to power it as my current panel is already oversubscribed. Even tho the panel is only a 100 amp, that's actually enough as it's extremely unlikely to ever be using close to the full capacity at one time - the biggest power users @ 240V are the shop A/C at 20 amps, the whole house A/C at 30 and the oven also at 20, if I add the air compressor at 15, that totals 85amps , still some room at the top. And the chance that all of those would be running at the same time is remote if at all.

That's the theory I'm operating on at least. The alternative is to put in a 200 amp service, which would run quite a bit as not only would I need to change the entire panel and all of the breakers, but code changes since my house was built would require a new service head on the house, new meter box and a service disconnect. I figure at least $3K to do it all by an electrician. I can do most if not all of it but.....permits, inspections etc might require I hire an electrician anyway for it to pass.

So, just perusing Google I find prices all over the map, even from the name brands. surprisingly Harbor Freight is not the cheapest game in town, I found compressors at Lowes, Home Depot and Northern tool for less. The amount of air delivered at the standard rating of 90 psi is the main difference, they're all two cylinder compressors at this size.

So, how to decide which one to get? Price, air delivery and noise are all considerations, but there is no way to compare them exactly - can't walk into a store and ask them to plug one in exactly.

Anyone have experience with a 60 gal vertical compressor? One they could recommend?

Edit: My neighbor said his service upgrade cost $1400, including new panel, breakers, some new outlets in the house, new service head etc....much less than I thought it would be.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I like my Curtis compressor.  I'd look into ingersol rand too.

MiniDave

Those are basically industrial brands, although Ingersol does make home shop level stuff too.

One interesting note - I've never been a fan of oiless compressors, in my experience they don't last and they're really loud, but things have changed it seems. They now make them that are rated at less than 70db, most oil type (which were always much quieter than oil less) are rated at around 83-84db......that is a big difference!

The best buy I've found so far is at Home Depot - they Offer a Husky brand for $500 that has really good specs, even when compared to compressors for twice the price. I may go see if they have one in the store I can look at.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

You may find some comparisons or reviews on YouTube.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Good point, I'll do some snooping around. I'm not ready to pull the trigger, I have to do a major clean up, pitch out and reorganization of the basement first.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Yes, it will..... and probably last forever.....but I don't think I need that much air. The $500 one from Home Depot is 11 cfm vs that one's 14.7, but the IR is 3 times the cost and draws 29 amps vs 14. It also weighs 435lbs vs 200, how do I get it home, and wrestle it down the basement stairs? All factors I have to consider....

I'm still intrigued by the oil less ones - in the past I wouldn't have owned one of those on a bet - in fact I did, and it failed the first day I ran it so I took it back and bought the Campbell Hausfeld I have had now for 30 years or more. But now it's 30 years later and technology has really improved, and it will provide 10 cfm with only 70 db and it runs on 120V. I already have a circuit that will carry it right where I plan to put it. Makes me go hmmmmm.....

Of course it's only a 28 gallon tank instead of 60....

Edit: my neighbor found the invoice for his electrical work, it was $2500 not $1400, just as I suspected it would run. But, adding the larger panel would let me run a powder coat oven and a sand/bead blast tank too.

I think the real answer is to build a shop annex on the back of my garage and just do it all at once....and spend some real money!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Already sent this to Dave, but for those curious on compressors now, this is one I like for home use.  My current compressor was an industrial 4 phase 10hp giant 120 gallon Curtis, de-sized to single phase and a 7.5hp motor.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/fs-curtis-cts-5hp-60g-single-stage-air-compressor-p/FCT05C30V6X-A2X1XX.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6p_L_O_K4AIVGFYNCh0hxAlUEAQYAiABEgJJtPD_BwE

MiniDave

That is a good one but I think it's way more than I'll even need or use.....I don't run air sanders or grinders for hours on end, and a small blast cabinet doesn't use that much air either.

As for the powder coating oven idea, while great, I don't think she who must be obeyed would appreciate the smell of melting plastic wafting thru the house from the basement!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Son and I used IR 60 gal IR 3 HP 135 psi single stage for over ten years, Worked well for us. My guess your limiter would be sand blasting capability. We didn't do sand blsting so don't have an idea of capability. I recall replacing a valve that went bad but that was the only problem I've had.
My guess that if you do a lot of sand blasting an intercooler would be a good idea.

BruceK

[quote author=MiniDave link=topic=1919.msg34524#msg34524 date=1550689670
As for the powder coating oven idea, while great, I don't think she who must be obeyed would appreciate the smell of melting plastic wafting thru the house from the basement!   ;D
[/quote]

If only Glade would make a line of fragrance powder coating material.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on February 20, 2019, 09:38:28 AM
My old compressor is pretty tired,, I've had it for about 30 years and rebuilt it once already so I'm thinking it's time to not only get a new one but maybe to upgrade too.

To that end I'm looking at a 60 gal upright, running on 240 volts. This will present some additional challenges as I'll have to install a sub panel to power it as my current panel is already oversubscribed. Even tho the panel is only a 100 amp, that's actually enough as it's extremely unlikely to ever be using close to the full capacity at one time - the biggest power users @ 240V are the shop A/C at 20 amps, the whole house A/C at 30 and the oven also at 20, if I add the air compressor at 15, that totals 85amps , still some room at the top. And the chance that all of those would be running at the same time is remote if at all.

That's the theory I'm operating on at least. The alternative is to put in a 200 amp service, which would run quite a bit as not only would I need to change the entire panel and all of the breakers, but code changes since my house was built would require a new service head on the house, new meter box and a service disconnect. I figure at least $3K to do it all by an electrician. I can do most if not all of it but.....permits, inspections etc might require I hire an electrician anyway for it to pass.

So, just perusing Google I find prices all over the map, even from the name brands. surprisingly Harbor Freight is not the cheapest game in town, I found compressors at Lowes, Home Depot and Northern tool for less. The amount of air delivered at the standard rating of 90 psi is the main difference, they're all two cylinder compressors at this size.

So, how to decide which one to get? Price, air delivery and noise are all considerations, but there is no way to compare them exactly - can't walk into a store and ask them to plug one in exactly.

Anyone have experience with a 60 gal vertical compressor? One they could recommend?

Edit: My neighbor said his service upgrade cost $1400, including new panel, breakers, some new outlets in the house, new service head etc....much less than I thought it would be.

I have an oil less 30 gallon 6hp compressor that i use a 60 gallon back up tank when i run air tools that suck a lot of air.
The oil less has always been noisy and is getting louder along with taking longer to get to pressure so i will probably replace it with a two cylinder oiled compressor.
It works fine for what i need and i find i use it less with all the lithium powered tools available but it is still nice to have available.

MiniDave

Yeah, the more I research it the less likely I think it will be that I'll get an oil less compressor.

Had an electrician come by and discuss whether I could run the new compressor off the existing panel. The bottom line is yes, and there are two ways to go. Replace a couple of single pole breakers with doubles, to make room for the additional 220V breaker for the compressor, or replace the main panel with one that carries more breakers.

While my current panel dates from the 60's breakers are still available for it, but I'm thinking it might be time to go to a newer panel. We'll see......

Edit: Breakers are in fact available, but they've gone to Cooper S MkI price levels! As in $66 each......and I need three. For less than that I can buy a new panel with space for 60 circuits and include not only all the (modern) breakers but also the main, and all the stuff I need to wire up the new compressor. Guess which way I'm leaning? It's more work as I have to have the electric company come over and disconnect me, then unwire the old panel, install and wire in the new one, then have the power company reconnect me once I get it all done. But then I'll have a modern panel with enough circuits that I can even add a few more if needed.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That will be nice having new modern breakers and extras available if needed.

MiniDave

Well, I was glad to get the opinion of a licensed electrician about the capacity of my existing service, so I don't have to spend $3K to upgrade it to 200 amp like my neighbor. I looked into doing that a long time ago and I think I remember that if you do you get a break on your kwh rate. Have to look into that again just for fun, it won't make enough difference to warrant the upgrade on it's own tho.

They're really pushing solar in my area too......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

These are very quite they have a 60 gallon one as well for less money. But this would give a home shop all the air you could use even for a blast cabinet and the 80 gallon is quieter as it runs slower rpm but two more cylinders. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Campbell-Hausfeld-80-Gallon-Electric-Vertical-Air-Compressor/3055641

The huskeys from home depot work fine but are very loud.

94touring

That is the nice thing about 2 cylinders.  Mine has 3 and barely chugs along.

MiniDave

Yes, but it's 2 1/2 times as much money, and draws way more amperage to run. It weighs more than twice as much, but only runs to 140psi vs 155 and it's rated at 86 db vs 83 for the one I chose. I don't need this much compressor, I'm not running a professional shop.

The problem is you guys are thinking industrial, I'm talking home shop. The one I have now has done fine, and it's a 20 gallon, 1.8 hp little thing.....I did plenty of grinding, sandblasting, impact wrenching etc and chances are I could do with another of the same thing - the only thing wrong with the one I have is that it's 30 years old and has been USED, a lot!

so I'm upgrading, but I don't think I need to go full on industrial, rather I'm thinking half pregnant. Enough to do more than I do now, but not so much as a body shop or professional shop would do.

and I'm talking a little bench top blast cabinet, not one that I can blast fenders in!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

For what you're doing that husky is just fine.  I think for myself personally just based on my experience and shop requirements  using a 60 gallon single piston CH compressor for years at the old shop, I'd spring for the bigger pumps.  Solely cause I hated how noisy it was running non stop keeping up with what I was doing.   If you had plans to blast a lot, or with big nozzles, which sounds like you don't, there's something to be said for a pump that fills the tank quickly and shuts off for a bit before kicking back on.  Why he never put that noisy bastard outside his shop I'll never know lol.

MiniDave

This is a twin, not a single, just FYI.....my old one is a single but with a small tank it only takes a minute or two to fill it again.

I've got to reorganize the basement before I buy anything, need to create a space for it - that will probably take a month!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

At home I have a 60 gallon 2 cylinder 5 horse power unit and it keeps up great with anything I want to do even runs one of those pressure pot blasters from HF with a little recovery time now and then its a sanborn older version of this the noise is not bad. https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/air-compressors/sanborn-reg-belt-drive-60-gallon-stationary-electric-vertical-air-compressor/mela3706056/p-1444439609007.htm
I'm sure it's similar to the kobalt you are looking at maybe you could find someone that has that kobalt and listen to it in my experience DB level "supposed to be the same as mine" isn't everything some sounds just carry worse and are harsher to listen to. Kobalt may have changed the pumps or rpm but the fairly new ones I have heard are unbearable for a home shop any shop really, just drive you right outta the place with the racket they make. Not at all saying its a bad compressor just might be harsh to listen to.

EDIT, it is the huskys I have head that are loud not the kobalt sorry.

MiniDave

This is the one I'm looking at, I'm sure the Kobalt is very similar....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936

The Kobalt by comparison.....
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-60-Gallon-Electric-Vertical-Air-Compressor/1000542193

The Kobalt runs to 175 psi vs 155 for the Husky, but it's rated at 87 db vs 83 for the Husky.
the Husky draws a little less amperage, 15 vs 16.7

The Husky does 11.5 cfm @90 psi, the Kobalt does 11

The Husky has a 2 year warranty, the Kobalt is 3

Husky weighs 205lbs, Kobalt 255lbs

Not a whole lot of difference between them

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 23, 2019, 08:33:41 AM

Not a whole lot of difference between them

Which color goes better with your décor?

;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Well, one is $10 cheaper than the other, so......probably black. Although I am partial to blue as you know.....  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

All this talk got me going to get a new compressor. Just got this from Lowes. The lift made unloading easier. Have to transport upright so as not to get the oil in the wrong places.