Author Topic: These didn't last long.  (Read 343 times)

Offline bikewiz

These didn't last long.
« on: February 19, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
5 years give or take. Need to do the CV boots too.

Offline BruceK

Re: These didn't last long.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »
Some off-brand?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline bikewiz

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 04:50:45 PM »
Don't know what brand, came new in a box with the car 5 years ago, they actually look like OE. I ordered the Minispares replacement. The CV boots are from MS right side is split, 5 yrs 10k or so.

Offline thebluepotato

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 08:22:08 AM »
Don't know what brand, came new in a box with the car 5 years ago, they actually look like OE. I ordered the Minispares replacement. The CV boots are from MS right side is split, 5 yrs 10k or so.
The rubber from our major mini suppliers is absolute CRAP....I have a contact in Cypruss that has Old/New rubber I can source...and for these you have pictured above, I am trying to find similar boots to say a Nissan or something that WorldPac may carry.  Just need to stay away from this cheap rubber for the major vendors.

Offline SoCalMiniFan

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 11:59:11 PM »
I was just under my car and my steering rack boots are both done, they split at the first rib.  I put the new steering rack w/include boots on in 2015 so a whopping 4.5/5 yrs.  All my knuckle joint boots are trashed too.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 12:02:57 AM »
I don't think it's actually rubber, I think it's some kind of cheap Chinisium plastic  crap......it seems the genuine ones are NLA.

That's a good idea to look and see if a modern Japanese one will work, chances are those will last much longer.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:08:08 AM by MiniDave »
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline jeff10049

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
some shock absorber/steering stabilizer boots can be cut down to work for the rack most parts stores will have a couple of options on the shelf to look at the last ones I used for a friends mini ended up being urethane they ought to last forever the only thing that sucked is they were blue its not a stock car so we got over it.
 I also cut down some modern cv boots for my car I don't recall what they were from we just went through boxes at the parts store. It seems like someone over on MM had come up with a cv boot from an ATV that was a good fit.

I need to go through all the old boxes/recipes from the mini and try to locate part numbers and post here I think we have a thread for parts/interchange numbers.