General question - antenna on front wing?

Started by thebluepotato, January 31, 2019, 07:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebluepotato

Anyone recall what year did the antenna on the front wing start to show up in production for general UK based minis?  Not sure if that is a Canadian or other country accessory since I have also seen classic minis with antennas on the roof.  This is what I am speaking to:

MiniDave

Weren't they all dealer installed? I didn't think the Mini ever came with a factory radio.

My 1980 Clubman Estate had the roof mounted antenna.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Certain "special edition" Minis got factory radios.  I think the first was the 25th Anniversary special.  Most with factory radios had the fender antenna and only certain editions got the roof antenna.

My first experience with seeing the roof antenna was on an Inno 1300 Export I was trying to buy.  It had an optional factory/dealer radio that mounted in a small overhead console above the inside rear view mirror.

MiniDave

This '73 Innocenti 1300 Export has a left front fender (wing) mounted power antenna, and it was clearly done when the car was exported to England...as the radio is mounted on the left, where the steering column will go again.

Have you asked this question on the English Mini Forum? I'll bet someone there will know....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

thebluepotato

Thanks gents...was just curious as I didnt know if it was factory installed option or not. 77.gif

joakwin

my 84 mayfair had it on the left wing, I still have the factory radio box that mounted the radio to under the left side of the dash but it didn't have the factory radio when I got the car
1st thing i did was remove the antenna and shave that hold in the wing

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell