73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstudep

Don't overdue it if your not up to it. I can help get things around or do it all while you boss me around (supervise) if need be. Or if all else fails I can always come grab the motor another day.

Speaking of which is there a general time frame for Friday? I can be there whenever since I am off work now until after the Thanksgiving holidays. I suppose I will also need to know where I am going so if you want to shoot me a PM here or something that would work.

94touring

Was going to send you an email, but I'm planning to be there no later than 11am.  I want to get back to Tulsa at a reasonable time.

cstudep

Sounds good, thanks Dan! I figured you were probably going to shoot me an email but since Dave brought it up here I figured I might as well ask. All I need is a more precise location so if one of you can shoot me an email with an address that would be great. I know he lives in Overland Park, but that's still a lot of neighborhoods to drive through looking for old mini's about.

I've driven around down there quite a lot as there is a computer parts store down that way and have not managed to see one yet.  ;D

MiniDave

Red letter day! It's alive!!!!!!   ;D

Of course it's run in the engine stand in the past, but this is the first time I started it in the car. It was a bit of a challenge, the fuel was old so I pumped it out and put fresh gas in it. Then I hooked the fuel pump up wrong and it didn't pump (imagine that!) Once I got that sorted I decided to clean out the float bowls rather than start on that old gas.

Once that was done it just didn't want to start. After scratching my head a while I realized someone had reversed the #1 and #3 plug leads??? Once THAT was sorted....well, this is the result.

I still have some issues to sort, the throttle linkage sticks like crazy, don't know what's up with that, but man does this thing rev! This is the first time I've run it with the twin HS4's so I wasn't sure just how well it would run but it feels like it's gonna be a beast!

Still have a mountain of things to finish on it but at least now it runs at last!

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Sounds like it idles nice and smooth. Now I am going to have to read through the rest of the this thread to see what all you did to it. Somehow I think this is one I have missed reading through.

BruceK

That started right up!  "On the button" as the Brits like saying.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on November 19, 2020, 05:02:30 PM
Sounds like it idles nice and smooth. Now I am going to have to read through the rest of the this thread to see what all you did to it. Somehow I think this is one I have missed reading through.

You can buy this one tomorrow too! 

cstudep

Lol, yeah I know if only I had the money.

MiniDave

Today was a fun day!

Dan and I actually got to drive the Innocenti - and boy howdy does it run! Film at 11!  62.gif

Dan came up to deliver the 67 S to cstudep, which went off without a hitch, they just rolled it off one trailer and onto the other.  77.gif

He also delivered a couple of engines for me, which were not fun to get off the trailer, but we managed.

Then he loaded the Inno onto his trailer to take it back to his shop where he will do some engine tuning and fettling with the ride height and alignment.

For now a couple of pics of all the action, then later today I'll have a short clip of me coming around the block and onto the trailer.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Sounds good and drives smooth too. That clutch is a bit abrupt is all.

94touring

It's like brother and sister in here.

cstudep

Boy does it sound good, and looks good too!

It was a pleasure to finally be able to meet you both, did you find the bonnet to the 67 on the way home? Got everything unloaded without incident here and it looks like you did the same, glad to see it.

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on November 20, 2020, 05:08:31 PM
Boy does it sound good, and looks good too!

It was a pleasure to finally be able to meet you both, did you find the bonnet to the 67 on the way home? Got everything unloaded without incident here and it looks like you did the same, glad to see it.

Funny you ask because I saw where it was launched and sparks flying early this morning when it was dark.  I was doing about 75mph at the time.  I spotted it crushed to smithereens in the ditch on the way back.

cstudep

Nice LOL, I have always wondered about some of the things I see on the side of the road and how they manage to get there, I am sure some of the stories are entertaining.

94touring

Gave it an alignment yesterday and took Jen for a quick ride today when we did her front brakes.  I have a feeling it's probably staying here for awhile, she was rather fond of the car.  I have a 02 sensor ordered to do the actual tuning but it sure does feel good as is. 

MiniDave

I'm planning to tow the Inno back to my shop next week and finish up all the odds and ends, plus change out the rotors - I cleaned and blasted them but Dan says they're noisy and pull so we'll put new ones on.

I also have to finish the dash electrical....I have a whole new wiring harness in there so I only need to make sure everything is working correctly before I push the dash back into place.

Lastly, Dan found us a stock Hellbore steering wheel and hub but it didn't fit correctly, so I need to sort that and make a horn contact that will work with it.

Lots of little fiddly stuff to do, plus I'd like to get some miles on it. Dan says it runs great, so I'm eager to get behind the wheel and see how it goes.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The inno has been hanging out at my shop for awhile till Dave has a moment to free up his plate so we can finish off a few electrical gremlins. Unfortunately I had a jack stand mishap and set the one A panel on a stand unknowingly and bent the panel to hell.  I've been too busy to fix it but today was the day.  At the same time I reshot the windscreen panel where some body filler had stretched over wiper holes I had welded closed.  The stretching leaves visible lines at certain angles and light which has been driving me crazy.  Came out really well.  Dave will grab it next month and drop his car off for a few repairs.

Jimini II

Looks great, good match on the paint.

94touring

Thanks.  That was just the same paint leftover from the original paint job I gave it. 

MiniDave

Back home - well my home anyway!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Ahhh.... Italian uniqueness!  4.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

Is this the final stage to wrap it up to put it on the market? Where are you going to list it? BAT if they will have you.

MiniDave

Yes, it may wind up going in a private sale tho - we've had some nibbles.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad