73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I think I came up with a way to make it all work.....this is just the rough version, I'll clean it all up and give it a coat of paint before the final, plus I'll drill another mounting hole for the bracket into the subframe. I looked at mounting them in the wheel well and that was my next choice.

I also carved a small radius on the inner edge to clear the brake line that runs along the edge of the subframe.

I also reset the location of the oil cooler and put the fittings on top again.

Still need to make another bracket for the one end of the oil cooler, as the ones I made before quite won't work.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I made a bracket for my air horns to hang the compressor under the starter using the lower bolt.

MiniDave

I thought about mounting them low like that but we have a sump guard going on so I needed to make sure they would clear that.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Couldn't they have been mounted on the servo bracket as it looked like there was enough room there or did you mount them where you did to reach the wiring without having to extend it?

MiniDave

Wiring would have to be extended, and there's the large fresh air ventilation scoop right under the servo......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on September 20, 2019, 05:45:17 PM
Wiring would have to be extended, and there's the large fresh air ventilation scoop right under the servo......

I've got similar to your horns on my Mini and I actually mounted one of them in the mouth of the "ventilation scoop" right behind the grille. The other sits right next to it.   Both hang down from the top of the bonnet scuttle piece. It doesn't seem to affect airflow to the interior of the car.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Interesting!

Mine has a screen built into the mouth....

The horns are mounted and wired, and a pic of the fresh air scoop....

Once the fittings get here next Tues I can finish up the oil cooler and that will just about wrap up the engine compartment, then I need to finish the dash install so I can put the carbs back on.

Then I'll weld the o2 sensor bung in the collector pipe and install the exhaust. After that it's bleed the brakes and clutch and then see what happens when I turn the key.......after that button up the interior and put some miles on it.

Oh, the front holes to the subframe aren't lining up so I'm going to loosen the subframe all around and see if I can shift it around and get them to match up - there were bolts in there before!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Changing the oil filter looks like it's going to be a challenge.

94touring

If the oil filter is a bugger to change with the horns there, are they able to be moved to above the starter under the slam panel? 

MiniDave

No, the fresh air horn resides there. They might fit there if they were the flat, original type but these are shaped differently, with the bell mouth. I don't they'll interfere with changing the oil filter.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on September 20, 2019, 05:45:17 PM

Figured there was a reason.

Also seen them mounted behind a front number plate.

MiniDave

I've been working ahead on the Inno, I finished the oil cooler installation now that the last fitting came in today. I used the push on hose and fittings as Jeff 10049 suggested, the push on hoses are slick as if you screw up the measurement and make it too short or too long, you're only out about a couple of bucks worth of hose, not an entire $35-40 crimped line.

I also welded in the o2 sensor bung in the collector pipe too.....

And I bought some new stainless wiper blades and arms...... I bought the park right style cause that's what my LHD Mini has, but I saw on the Inno that just sold on BaT that those park left. Turns out they can go either way. So I may be using these on the Green car and buying another set for the Inno - once I get it powered up and see where they actually DO park.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

A few more things accomplished on the Innocenti....

After I got the bung welded into the collector I decided to install it and the rest of the exhaust. Apparently they sent a center pipe for a wagon or Pup as it was a bit too long, but a few minutes with a saw shortened it up and it all fit together.

I also cut the new hoses for the vacuum pipe to the brake servo, but found I don't have the right size clamps so I'll have to get them on the way.

I also fixed the windshield washer pump, it was all gummed up and all it needed was a good cleaning. I still have to take the frame somewhere and bead blast it and give it a coat of paint. Then I'll have to figure out how to mount it.

Lastly I fit the heater hoses, but I'm going to see if I can find some pipe and make a connector pipe that will run across the top of the intake manifold rather than running the big ol heater hose all the way across.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Just noticed how mangled that fuel line looks, glad I bought a roll of fuel line, guess I'll be replacing it after all.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Good news, turns out the fuel line is not mangled, there was just some cobwebs wrapped around it and the camera made it look damaged.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Engine compartment almost done and boy is it getting crowded in there.....see for yourself! Carbs still need to go in there too

Now you can see why the horns wouldn't go on the right side of the engine compartment.....

I think I figured out where and how to mount the windshield washer bottle, I'll have to build a bracket first.

Speaking of building a good bracket - the Project Binky boys lost power for a day - they were supposed to have the new episode out Fri night for the Patreon, but now it will be Sat might, sunday for the hoi polio....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

94touring

My job yesteday was doing some car history research to get our title updated to make sure everything reflects perfectly what the car actually is.  I had printed out a slew of information including the UK registration to hand over to the tag agency.  They submitted everything to the research department and will pull up the v5c and other customs and import documents.  They did verify the car was imported to the US in 2006.  We also know it was exported from Italy to the UK in 1980.

Jimini II

After 26 years in the UK i am surprised the body was as nice as it was before you painted it, i am guessing it was not on the road much especially in the wet Winter months.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave link=topic=1833.msg37568#msg37568

Speaking of building a good bracket - the Project Binky boys lost power for a day - they were supposed to have the new episode out Fri night for the Patreon, but now it will be Sat might, sunday for the hoi polio....

I just watched it this afternoon.   This will be a shock: it involves making brackets    ;D.

Actually there are some brackets but there's lots of other stuff too including wiring and a custom filter!   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Quote from: Jimini II on September 28, 2019, 03:26:06 PM
After 26 years in the UK i am surprised the body was as nice as it was before you painted it, i am guessing it was not on the road much especially in the wet Winter months.

Somebody loved it very much.

MiniDave

Finally got the dash wired up.....so I powered up the car to see what worked and what didn't........too much to hope for that everything would just work I guess.     50.gif

Ignition and starter work, lights all work correctly so that's good. Horns blow. Ammeter is wired backwards - I had a 50/50 chance on that one...... ;D

However the heater blower doesn't, wiper motor doesn't, windshield washer motor doesn't even tho I tested it on the bench and it worked fine there, even pumped water. Rear defroster doesn't work either.

I'll do some testing after dinner toninght.   8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Tag agency has officially deemed us a 1973 Leyland Innocenti Mini.

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Yay! One more hurdle jumped on the road to bringing this car back!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad