73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

On my Moke, there were also springs at the handle end for retaining tension on the adjuster nuts.

Of note: the Moke used twin cables all the way to the handle.  The replacement rear subframe came with the later Saloon style which is a 'Y' cable with the single line to the handle.  The single line secures and adjusts at the handle differently and I do not recallif it has a spring at the handle end.

MiniDave

This car has twin cables to the handle, any chance you have a pic of how it all looked together?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I believe mine had the twin springs at the handle.  I'll dig through pics on computer when I get home.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

I have twin cables too but not at the shop to take pics and I can't remember off the top of my head about springs.

Willie_B

Only one body gasket on the top/inside under the metal plate.

Found a good pic online.

MiniDave

Perfect, that's exactly how I remembered it too....thanks WillieB!

I swear this one had a plate on the bottom as well as the one on top - 4 plates total, but they were so covered with muck I might just have been pulling off undercoating in that shape.....oh and the hole or dimple faces forward, right?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

That picture is how my Moke is/was.

My Moke had 2 plates per cable (4 total) - one on top and one on bottom.  The dimples faced opposite to form a guide tube - top: dimple opened forward,  bottom: dimple opened backward.

MiniDave

Right, but only one gasket, and that on top?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

As much gunk as my moke had on disassembly, I could not tell about the gasket.

When I re-assembled, I think I left out the gasket(s).

MiniDave

think I'll go with WillieB's idea, just the one gasket on top - two plates....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Anyone who's ever changed a master cylinder - brake or clutch - will appreciate the tool I just bought to put the clevis pin in!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That must be the racing version of the tool - drilled and lightened for speed!!  ;D

You'll have to let us know how helpful it is.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I will, as I'll be using it soon.....

If you look at this pic from Minispares, it looks like the plate and gasket go on the underside of the car, not the top. I know this car had a plate on top and one on the bottom as I found all 4 of them, but the gaskets were toast and I threw them away - tho I have new ones.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So, the back end is pretty much sewn up, I still have to install the battery hold down but I made a new cable for the negative side. The emergency cables are in and adjusted, Don is coming over tomorrow to install the fairlead plates and gaskets as I cannot crawl under the car at this point due to my back.

Once that's done I could even put the boot lid back on but I think I'll wait on that....

Got a better pic of the fuel pump installation.

Last thing to do is hook up the main brake pipe to the brake pressure regulator.

Oh and give the bottom of the boot floor another coat of paint, Dan brushed some on before we put the subframe back in at the reunion but it will need another coat. 

Oh, just remembered, I need to put the vent hoses on the fuel tanks - see? lots of little time consuming jobs!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

After I got the hand brake cables installed I realized that they would rub on the brake lines, so I had to take the brake lines loose and reposition them, no issue since there's no brake fluid in them yet. Now they're good. I also got the tank vent lines installed. I can't find my battery hold down bracket - I'm sure it's here somewhere - so till then I think that's the last thing in the back, time to head around to the front and repair all the wiring for the head lights, side markers and turn signals. That's going to be a bit of a challenge - the headlight buckets are covered in some kind of undercoating that it seems I can only scrape off, none of the solvents I have seem to touch it. Then I have to sort out what goes where and figure out how to both tie it in to the existing harness and find a way to sheath it since it's in the engine compartment. I bought some new headlight buckets from Vicky Brits, but wouldn't you know it - Innocenti buckets are made differently and the Lucas buckets won't fit, so I'll have to clean and repaint these.

The interior will be in Tues afternoon, so I'll run the components and the front seats up to the interior shop so he can get them installed, with any luck he'll be done by Friday but there's no rush now. I can do the backs as its simply stretched over the foam....I'm pretty sure I can handle that, if no he's only 6 blocks away.

I still haven't heard from the crank guy, I had hoped that since the crank had already been there 2 weeks when my parts came in that I was further up the que, but I think they took me to the back of the line again!

I was planning to drop the front subframe again when I install the engine, but now I'm thinking I may just go in from the top so I can save some work. There are advantages to doing it both ways so I may change my mind once the engine is built and ready to go back in....we'll see

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Don't forget we have a genuine innocenti battery box cover that goes back there too  77.gif

MiniDave

Yep, it should go over the top easily....I found one at Vicky Brits that should work fine. I have to take the headlight buckets I bought back anyway.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I also may have found some headlight buckets at VB that will work, turns out they're for very early Sprites - 3 adjusters instead of two.

Just in case I went ahead and cleaned up the originals, they were coated heavily in some kind of thick undercoat that I could not begin to scrape off, so I got out my trusty heat gun and blasting that at the inside while I scraped the outside did the trick!

I have some new headlight harnesses that I can modify to work with the bulbs in the car, the wire colors wont be right but I'll tape or sheath over them anyway so it won't matter as long as they work properly.

Here's a before/after pic of the H/L buckets, these are still pretty rusty in places but I think if I have to I can get them cleaned up and serviceable.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Slowly getting the wiring sorted out, doesn't seem like it would be that hard, but.......

Found another interesting bodge - they tapped into one of the headlight wires to get the power source for the driving lights (we removed them, they were crap and the installation was even worse!) and it looks like they just used hot glue rather than solder to tie them together!

I've peeled back enough wire that I think I'm thru all the bodges now.

I was able to get new headlight buckets from Vickie Brits, along with new gaskets and all new hardware, screws, adjusters and such. The headlight wiring harnesses I got were for British cars, so I had to modify them by removing the bulb holder and changing the wire ends for the park bulb. Then I had to shorten one considerably, the other one I should be able to leave the length intact. I'll be tying it all together with regular Lucas bullet ends and receptacles.

I made new harnesses for the repeaters on the wings and sheathed them in the correct tubing, once done it should all look pretty much factory original and new......and more importantly it should all work!

The last thing I need to do is make a harness for the turn signal/park lights that ties together with the repeaters, then I can go ahead and rivet the headlight buckets in and hook everything up. Then head over to the left side and do the same. Once that's all done all I have to do is re-sheath and tape the harness back up and put it back under the tabs. Once that's done I'll move back to the interior and start wiring the column back up, install the signal switch and then see if it all works.

More as it happens.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got the left side installed and wired up. Now I need to do the same on the right, then tie them together in the middle and its done....

The Innocenti interior came in today but the upholstery shop is closed for the holiday so I'll take it all up tomorrow.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Willie_B

A sweet 74 Inno just showed up of Facebook, Classic Mini Parts Trader USA.

MiniDave

Very pretty, I like the blue and those wheels.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Front  wiring is all done, lights are installed and working - next I'll finish putting the dash and steering column together and get it all wired up too. I found a grey wire in the harness that wasn't accounted for, according to the wiring diagram it's supposed to be for the reverse lights but I put power to it and no joy there. I'll try and trace it back into the dash and see what it's attached to. I found another grey wire under the dash that was unaccounted for too, I wonder if they're associated?

That's the hardest part of this, when the wiring doesn't match the schematic so you have to go on an archaeological dig!

In the meantime the seats are at the upholsters and he got me some under carpet padding, so once I'm done with the dash, steering column and pedals I can go ahead and lay that in. I can also install the new door panels. I'm undecided on the pockets - Dan's paintwork on them matched well but I'm not anxious to drill holes in our new door panels to screw them on.

Lastly, the cranky guy will be done sometime Monday or Tuesday so I can get back to work on the engine. He musta had 300 crankshafts in there in various states of grinding!  I commented on how busy he was but he said he loves his job - and I think he meant it!

In the meantime I have a few honey-do's I have to get done somehow before I leave for Aspen. We listed our south property and I need to spruce it up a bit by clearing some brush and trees. To do that I need to get my ZTR and Tractor out of winter storage and running again - all by next weekend. My brother and a few friends are coming out to help with the cleanup this coming weekend and I need to be ready for them.

Our Audi is at a shop - I had the headliner removed so we could find and fix some water leaks, the parts are coming in on Monday from Audi, then once it's fixed it goes back to the headliner guy to have it reinstalled.

Then there's the Blue Mini and the Green Mini. The blue one needs a brake fluid and coolant flush, the green just needs a good check over before I tow it to Aspen.

Let's see, anything else? Oh yeah, I need to swap out the window A/C on the top floor study, and oh by the way I'm going in for minor back surgery on Tuesday!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

You'll need to use the old door cards as the template to drill into the new cards and door pockets.