73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

While Dan's finishing up the fuel tanks and some other bits and bobs, I drove the 2 hour round trip up to the crank shaft guy again, to find out if our stroked crank was any good - which it is - and to find out if he was going to have to grind the mains and rods - which he's not. I also had weighed out the rods and the heaviest to the lightest was only 6 grams. These rods are also considerably lighter than the other ones I was going to use - 680 vs 740 - so we've added some more lightness to the rotating mass.

I also ordered the new primary gear, main and rod bearings and a few other bits - to the tune of yet another $300!

Oh well, in for a penny as they say......many, many, many, many pennies in this case, and more than a few pounds too!

Newton Commercial confirmed that the interior bits are still another 4 weeks away, so there's no way this car is going to Snowmass this summer, so I'll need to do a bit of spiffing up on the Racing Green one before I hit the road west towards the end of June.

This is the sign on the front desk of the cranky shop....

Once the gear comes in I'll take all the rotating bits back up there to be rebalanced to this crankshaft, it shouldn't take much as everything but the clutch and flywheel were on there to start with.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

You'd think with those kind of wait times that the machining business is ripe for another place of business.  They are so hard to find, even in major metropolitan areas.  Guessing the skills and equipment are a dying breed.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

MiniDave

Yeah, there used to be 4 or 5 shops here in town, now there's just the one.....

The equipment is very expensive, and it takes some training to operate it correctly, and it's really expensive if someone screws it up.

Tanks look SO much better....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Loosely into place.  Much better than before.

gr8kornholio

That left side tank is huge!  Is that factory?  Looks like a spare wouldn't fit.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Yes, that's the factory 9 gallon (7.5 Imperial) tank, it wouldn't have been used with the right side tank, so we know it's an add on. 14 gallon total capacity! I could drive from here in KC to the western edge of Kansas on one tanks full.

The spare tire fits up under it, but a 6" wide 13 won't go! Only 10's, maybe a stock 12...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Ok, I see the indentation for the spare, that shiny black makes it hard to see.  Um, with the HOT motor you're building for this you think it'd still get that mileage?  71.gif  I never tracked mine on my 1380.

MiniDave

No idea, but on light cruise it should do OK. Dan's engine will do 30 mpg, except he can't keep his right foot out of it!  :-)

That and the tall gears will help too, but then we're not really building it for gas mileage - if I have a long ways to go I'll tow it - the tow car gets around 25-27 while pulling it.....

Dan, you have some of that red paint left for touch ups?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's a pretty cool build when you figure it's a luxury interior with extended range tanks, plus the very hot motor.  Best of all worlds. Will be comfortable to drive and haul butt. 

Yeah some leftover paint.

Filters oiled with K&N oil.  Before and after.

Jimini II

Coming along nice guys someone is going to get a really nice Inno at the end of this build, that is if you sell it of course.

Is that the correct way for the carb to carb adjustment linkages to be installed? All the UK ones are installed with both the nuts facing up.
Just my ocd kicking in LOL.

MiniDave

Who knows? That's the way they came apart, but I haven't had it back in the car yet to see how it should sit. What part looks wrong to you so I know what to look at when I get it back?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

On the linkages the bolt and nut combos that clamp things down should have the nuts up.  I noticed it when I first got the carbs but forgot till Jimini pointed it out.  If you have to make adjustments you want the nuts facing up.

Jimini II

The two linkages (rods) that connect the carbs together have the adjusters on each end.
The nuts should all be facing upwards so you can adjust each end with ease and not burn your hands on the exhaust.
It will work the way you have it as you only really need to be able to loosen one end to get everything adjusted but to be correct they should both be facing up.
Well at least that is the way the UK cars were fitted.

MiniDave

Got it, that's an easy enough fix, just take it out and turn it over.....or maybe even easier, just take the bolts out and turn them over? or does the linkage have a way to hold the heads of the bolts, so they have to go in only one way? I'll have to look at them when they come back......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

We can look when I bring it up next week.  It's a simple fix, especially off the car.

MiniDave

I'm making up a list of things to make sure you bring with you.....I'll email it to you

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I believe you can just turn the bolts over no need to remove a carb.

MiniDave

While waiting for MiniSpares to get off their collective asses and send me my parts, I put a straight edge on the block and sure enough I could see light under the edge at the junctions between the cylinders, so I ran the block back to the machine shop to have them surface the deck, it won't take much, just a couple thou but that will give us the straight flat surface we need to hold the gasket. The head was already surfaced at the cylinder head shop.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniGene

Looks great!  At first glance I thought you had installed those "white/clear" boy racer tail lights!  Good catch folding the mirrors in so the wind blast doesn't push them backwards.  I probably would have never thought of that.

This has been a fun build to follow. 

MiniDave

Sure looks "redder" in the daylight than the shop lights....looks fantastic!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Working on the back end, got all the wiring to the lights sorted, the taillights installed and the right side tank in, along with the Monza fuel cap. Doesn't sound like much but there are a hundred little jobs leading up to this point, painting the tank retaining strips, new gaskets under the hinges, sorting the wires and so on. I still need to install the fuel cross pipe and hoses. I couldn't find another 2" 5/16 -24 bolt for the retainer strap so I made one out of a piece of all thread.

Tomorrow I'll get the left tank installed and trimmed out, the sending unit installed, the fuel pump installed and wired up and the  em. brake cables installed. Once the back is buttoned up I'll move up to the front and start working on the front wiring harness and lights while I'm waiting for the engine parts to come back from the crank shop.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Both tanks in now, both Monza caps installed, cross pipe in...all I need to do now is install, wire and plumb the fuel pump....but first I want to bench run it and make sure it will pump fuel. While I'm down there I'll install the emergency brake cables, rear brake line and red + cable to the battery.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

More news.....None of the fuel pumps I have work, it looks like the one that was in the Innocenti was one of the newer electronic pumps, no points I can replace so it's dead. I have a larger spare off my E-Type but it's dead too. Should have checked it earlier I guess.

So, now I have a new pump on the way. I can get one from Victoria British but theirs is really expensive now - which is curious as I've bought them before and did not remember them being nearly this high.

In the meantime I'll finish up the emergency cables - does anyone know if there is a fairlead gasket on both the top and bottom of the body where the cables pass thru? Also, I have a couple of springs that look like they go on the cables at the handle end? I know about the ones at the brake backing plate end, but were there some at the front too? Anyone have a pic?

Lastly, a little bit of good news - the interior has shipped from Newton Commercial today!  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad