73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Must have had some Australian guy working at the factory putting in his little touch.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

More parts.....I've been waiting for the valves to come from MiniSpares - I thought I would have them Monday, but here we are Thursday - they're supposed to be here today but nothing yet.

I also finalized the Newton Commercial order for the new seat covers, they took the original order no problem, but they wanted me to pay for the shipping separately. They claimed they sent me a link to pay it but I never got it, so I sent them an email, they said send my CC info in an email, I said no so then they finally managed to send a link to the balance, I paid it today so now they should be one the way too. It was expensive shipping - £270. That took two weeks too!

Lastly, my Garmin that I use for a speedo in my Green Mini died, (it was 5 or 6 years old) so I tried to order a new one from Amazon. My account had not been used for over two years (because I couldn't get it to open)  so I called customer service. The reason I could not use it even tho I had the sign on and password was that they wanted to send me an email to verify it was really me - perfectly fine idea except......since I had opened the account I had changed email addresses and the one set up with the account did not exist anymore - so they could not verify and I couldn't get into the account to change the email address. Round and round we went. Finally in frustration I opened a new account and ordered the Garmin......but now I have no access to my previous order history. PITA.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea I went through the same thing with Newton.  Luckily my link worked, of course there was little communication from them on my order.  After a couple of weeks I emailed and asked the status and one of the things was being made and as soon as it was done it would all ship.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Parts from England made it about noon Friday, so I ran them downtown to the Cylinder head guy, he said it would be done "sometime next week". Since I was out and about I drove further north to drop by the crankshaft guy. They had not touched it yet, but promised me it would be done "sometime next week" too.

The crankshaft place had a sign at the desk claiming that wait time for engine work was as much as 10-12 weeks out! So if I do get I next week it will have only been three weeks! I guess I should feel lucky......

While not as bad as last week my back is still hurting, but I got tired of sitting on the couch and there's nothing on TV so I went down to the shop and cleaned a few bits in the solvent tank and swapped the shaft and rocker arms for the new forged ones we got.

A couple of things to note, even the *new improved* rocker arm shafts are not expensive and the wear patterns on our old one show why you always change it.

Also in the second pic you can see the wear patterns on the tips of the old rockers - note that they're offset. They are supposed to be that way, the idea is that they hit the end of the valve stem just slightly off center, which causes the valve to rotate a tiny bit each time it opens and closes, this is to make sure you get even wear and heat/cooling on the valves.

In the last pic with the new rockers you can see that a couple of them are offset just a bit, that's because the stands are not placed exactly central to the valves - I won't know for sure which one will end up where till I get the head back and set the rocker assembly on the head. It's fairly simple to slide them off and on again but a bit fiddly. Another thing you have to watch for is that the push rods don't hit the sides of the holes they go thru, this might require yet another rejigging of the rockers on the shaft.

Once the crankshaft gets back from the shop I'll install it and one rod/piston with no rings, then I can dial in the cam without the drag of all 4 pistons/rings. To get all of the measurements set up correctly I'll have the crank in and out a couple of times.
It takes a while to build one of these correctly, but the finished product is worth the extra time to get maximum performance, economy and life out of the engine.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

One other small project I whipped up this afternoon.....

To set the timing on these early cars there's a small window on the bellhousing that you look thru to see the timing marks, back in the days of the 850 it was easy to see in there, but on later cars, especially those with a brake servo mounted over the bell housing, about the only way you can see the marks is with a mirror....it's dicey at best.

So, I made a small bracket, and once I have the crank in place and I've used a dial indicator to find TDC, I'll make a corresponding mark on the front pulley ( this pulley is from another - later - engine) to match the pointer. Then I'll have TDC, and with my fancy schmancy timing light I can easily set it to whatever I need just by using the TDC pointer and the adjustable scale knob on the timing light.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on April 18, 2019, 08:45:03 AM
Weird thing is, the rears also have the two small holes drilled in the gutter!  8.gif

My 70's New Zealand Mini just had holes with no cut outs, two at the rear on each side and one on the front on each side.

Willie_B

One on MM for sale page today. Missing some of the Inno bits that you guys are making sure to include.

https://www.minimania.com/cars4Sale/15300/1973_Morris_Mini_Innocenti_Sedan

MiniDave

I've seen that one for sale for quite a while now, wonder why it hasn't sold? Seems like a really nice build to me......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Cylinder head came back, looks nice.....I taped it off and gave it the first coat of POR 15. Once the crank comes back "sometime this week" then I can start building the engine.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

amanley

Can I say, I'm really looking forward to seeing this thing come together! Good job guys.
1978 BL mini 1000
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW
2013 MINI Countryman All4

MiniDave

Cylinder head going together......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I have had an acquaintance ask about checking the VIN of an Inno Mini.

I know the VIN on an Inno is stamped/tagged differently than regular Minis with a prefix stamped directly into body metal somewhere - usually a prefix is something like B38/??

Can Dan post a picture of the location(s) of the stamped prefix and any tag(s) from this Inno as a reference point I can pass along?

Thanks.

MiniDave

Nope, we believe this is a reshell....so there is no vin stamped in the body that we've been able to find.

However, it should be stamped on the inside of the right fender in fairly large letters/numbers.

We did find a matching vin (to our title) on our window glass tho...

But that's only on these later models, I'm not sure about the earlier cars.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Mk1/2 started with B39/1
Mk3 B39/2
Export 1300 B39/7

94touring

Will mount doors tomorrow, color sand and buff.

94touring

Doors still fit and match  4.gif

MiniDave

Excellent!  Now I need to put it back together.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Looking good, love that boot lid indentation.  Dave do you have space to put it back together.

MiniDave

Well, I'll have to move a few things around, but the good part is I have more and more room as I put stuff back together. Right now the lift is serving as a table for storage and a workbench for the motor. Once that's back together I'll clear off the lift as the engine will go back into the test stand till it's ready to go into the car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

94touring

New mirrors on.  Look pretty nice too! 

Vikram

Looks really good! Where does one find VIN on the glass?

MiniDave

Right front lower corner of the windshield on this car.....DGM37060 model number, not vin, sorry.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That symbol of a heart shape with a "S" in it means British Standards so that is piece of UK glass, not an Italian one. Likely got changed out during the car's time in England.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

On innos the dgm number followed the vin.  For example b39/7 54000 dgm12345