73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on April 03, 2019, 08:03:03 AM
  We won't need 1.5 rockers, but ditched the stock sintered rockers that spec at 1.21 and went with forged S which are a true 1.3, and would have been period correct. 

You used to be able to buy offset bushings for the forged rockers that will bump them up to 1:15
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

This is why when doing an overhaul you always remove the oil pressure galley plugs.....this is the oil pressure relief plunger - it's scarred so badly it looks like they ran metal scrap thru it. The rearmost cam bearing was trashed too, along with the cam and lifters. The plunger was stuck in the hole, but a 1/2" coarse tap just fits it perfectly - I only had to thread it in a turn or two and the plug began to move and I was able to get it out.

So I'll pull the galley plugs and clean it all out, I already have new cam bearings and a new oil pump is on the way along with the new cam and lifters. I also have a new plunger and spring for it. Haven't decided whether to thread the holes with a pipe tap and use grub screws to seal them off or just tap in a new set of galley plugs the way they are now.

There is so much more to rebuilding an engine properly than just putting new bearings and gaskets in it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Dave, was that the POR 15 Engine Enamel that you used?  I'm not sure if I want my engine that glossy.  The POR I have is more satin, but not sure if it'll handle engine temps.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Yes, engine enamel - I like the shiny!   ;D

But it does tone down a bit once it cures out.

Besides, most of it is hidden under all the other stuff attached to the engine.

If you're using chassis black, it tends to chalk up I'm told. It doesn't affect the protection, just the looks.

Wonder if they sell it in pints as well as quarts - a little goes a long way with this stuff. I wish I would have had an airbrush....even tho it lays out perfectly smooth, I think it would have been easier to paint as compared to a brush.

Next up I need to clean the block thoroughly, all the nooks and crannies, all the oil passages etc, then it will be ready to build. You can't just clean them with solvent, you also need to clean them with degreaser, soap and lots of water, then you have to immediately dry it and coat the machined surfaces with something so they don't flash rust. It's a lot of work, but the results are worth it - if you don't your engine rebuild will only last about 10K, then you get to do it all again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

They sell it in pints. I'm sure you can spray it, but you'd need a petty big tip. 

gr8kornholio

Since the block came back painted, what if anything did you do to the block before painting with POR?  I'm sure mine will need a good cleaning.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

All that's required is a good cleaning to make sure it's grease free.

MiniDave

Yeah, that stuff really bonds with the metal.....the few places where I got a drip I had to use a razor blade to scrape it off - it was on there good!

The shop that honed the cylinders cleaned it in their hot tank after they did the machine work, then I cleaned it in my solvent tank, then spritzed it down with 409 and water, then I wiped it down with lacquer thinner. Probably overkill.....

Took the crank, rods, pistons, flywheel and clutch assembly et all up to the crank guy to be balanced. Funny, every shop I take stuff to says the same thing......2 weeks!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The new camshaft that arrived yesterday came with the springs recommended to be used with it, so I took them down to the cylinder head guy hoping that they didn't already have it back together.....HA!

They did have it disassembled and cleaned (don't know why they felt the need to hot tank it, I had cleaned it thoroughly before I took it down there) and he said later today they would check it for cracks and tomorrow give me a list of the parts they needed - valves and seals  - or whether they could use the valves in the head now. I don't know if the ones they sell at Vicky Brits will be the larger 35mm intakes or smaller ones commonly used on a Sprite, need to find out or else there will be a further delay while I order them from Spares.

Anyway, he said they might be done with it in another 2 weeks to a month!

Yikes! Gonna make it tight for getting it back together, run in and ready for Aspen/Snowmass. I might be taking the green Mini after all.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

just a thought based on the 2 weeks to a month statement i would have a back up cylinder head to use for Snowmass.

94touring

I do have a stock 940 head on the shelf.

MiniDave

I do too, just in case.....but there is a lot more to do than just the head. Worst case I'll take my green 89 Mini.

They called just after I got home to say I needed all the valves, guides and seals. I had to order valves and a timing chain from Spares, it had 35.7mm intakes and 31mm exhaust, those are bigger than anything Vicky Brits had.

I think all my recent calls and visits may have pushed them a little, Ima keep it up! I already took the guides and seals down to them, but I let them know I wouldn't have the valves till probably Monday.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Wheel caps are in, hoping they fit without any fuss.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Ok minimal fuss.  The tabs on these caps didn't work with the wheels.  So I broke them off and turned down the caps till they fit.  Much improvement over the old hand painted ones.

Jimini II

Nice. Those little things and attention to detail make all the difference in the finished product.

94touring

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on April 17, 2019, 10:33:34 AM
You even know the number!

850 is an easynumber to remember for Mini enthusiast!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

94touring

A view showing the beige interior against the roof.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Nice work looks a lot better with that more subdued white.
Looking at the gutter in that picture it seems like the Inno's did the larger drain cut outs a lot earlier than the UK models.

MiniDave

Weird thing is, the rears also have the two small holes drilled in the gutter!  8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad