73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

It's really encouraging that it was this rust free (and no, I don't mean they just didn't charge for it!) it should turn out nicely when it's all done!

I made a wrench this am to adjust the hi-los. It didn't need to be particularly strong, I'll just use it to hold the adjuster while I tighten down the lock nut with the "real" wrench. I had some 2" X 1/4" flat, so I just laid it out for the best fit and cut it out with my angle grinder, then a little finish work on the edges and voila!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: gr8kornholio on March 18, 2019, 10:34:38 AM
It's got some rare body filler disease!  Lol.  That's pretty good shape for sitting so long in midwest climate.

Filler primer! Only 3 spots with a minor glaze of filler where I plugged holes.  Really is a nice shell. 

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on March 18, 2019, 11:04:21 AM
It's really encouraging that it was this rust free (and no, I don't mean they just didn't charge for it!) it should turn out nicely when it's all done!

I made a wrench this am to adjust the hi-los. It didn't need to be particularly strong, I'll just use it to hold the adjuster while I tighten down the lock nut with the "real" wrench. I had some 2" X 1/4" flat, so I just laid it out for the best fit and cut it out with my angle grinder, then a little finish work or the wedges and voila!

Result!!!

(To quote Edd China)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on March 18, 2019, 11:04:21 AM

I made a wrench this am to adjust the hi-los. It didn't need to be particularly strong, I'll just use it to hold the adjuster while I tighten down the lock nut with the "real" wrench. I had some 2" X 1/4" flat, so I just laid it out for the best fit and cut it out with my angle grinder, then a little finish work on the edges and voila!

Great idea, looks like it should work a treat.

94touring

Clear picture in about an hour...

94touring

We matched to the back of the boot lid, which was darker since it hadn't faded.  I'll make quick work of buffing it slicker than it already is.

BruceK

Wow.   You are really moving along fast.

At this pace it'll be ready for test drives at the picnic!   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Well, HIS end may be.....I've got a motor and transmission to do, a crap ton of wiring to fix, then assemble the whole thing!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on March 18, 2019, 07:44:53 PM
Wow.   You are really moving along fast.

At this pace it'll be ready for test drives at the picnic!   ;D

Everyone gets to assist in subframe attachment and watch me knock out glass installation.

BruceK

Ahh.  Now it all comes to light. The true purpose of the picnic.  We will all be assembly elves indebted to the beer-rations.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

3 days and 12 workers should be enough to get me caught up on my backlog  :D

94touring

If Dave thought it was shiny before...

Also side by side with faded red.

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

I forgot to bring them, but I have new gaskets for the hinges on the boot lid. I also ordered a new seal for the boot lid handle. Do we need new plastic sockets for the pins on the emblems?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I have some gaskets here too. Bring those down and we'll swap.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

94touring

Ok last pic.  Finished buffing, not that you can tell much from the photo.

MiniDave

IT'S. A. LIVE!

Good oil pressure, nothing's leaking, and it sounds very good....no smoking, knocking or other nasty noises either. I haven't run this carb on anything before so it may not have the right needle for this engine. I also haven't set the timing, that's why it tries to run on on shutdown.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

dimini

Looking like the Inno is going to be back on the streets pretty soon. Not that I'm suggesting one should toss extra time and $ into this project, but an Old English White top would look great w/the current interior colors. 77.gif

94touring

I'm not opposed. There are a few tiny chips that would go away in the process.

MiniDave

I'll leave that up to you, I'm OK with it either way......the more "yellowy" OEW would go better with the tan interior I guess.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The whole vid, including the no muffler parts! Be sure to turn the sound up, and enjoy the groovy tunes too!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Science.  A little electrolysis rust removal to clean out these doors without tearing up the metal. Once it's done it's magic, I'll flush with a phosphoric solution and reseal from the inside.  These doors are in fantastic shape but have begun to show signs of rust.  This will ensure they don't begin to rot.  :(

Vikram

Sounds pretty sweet!
I think this should be listed with no muffler!  77.gif