73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on December 05, 2018, 01:17:24 PM
I was waiting for the degreaser to burst open!

Yeah, not much chance of that...there was a white locking ring to hold the cap on, then you have to pull the cap up and the spout, then when you take the cap off there's a seal under it!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The sending unit came back today and WOW! it looks brand new - the guy really did a great job - charged $200 too, but as we could not find a single one and the Smith's senders don't work with the Inno's Jaeger gauges we really had no choice.

Before and after...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I got all the suspension bits cleaned up and ready to go to the master blasters.....the radius arms were interesting, there was a metal grease tube in one and a plastic one in the other. Both arms were absolutely stuffed full of grease, it took for freakin ever to get it all dug out. Between all the muck on the outside and the full tubes inside, someone was pretty involved in greasing the rear bearings...even so the pins did have some wear on them and they will be replaced.

I have a lot to do tomorrow before we leave on Friday, including the trip up to the coaters....I hope they have some of my stuff ready to come back but it will sit for a while no matter what.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Shiny parts!

I probably have everything I need to build the front subframe back, but it will have to wait till I come home in a couple of weeks.

The rear parts went up today and I think they'll be done the day I get back, so unless I find something else I should be good to go to start putting some stuff back for a change. Still need a few bits to finish up Clancy's Moke rear subframe, but those will be done when I get back also.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Hey... somebody snuck a lug wrench in there....
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Isn't that neat? It was clipped in the boot...it was all rusty but cleaned up nicely.  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Knockoff impossible to find original door pockets arrived from some ignoramus in Italy.  Took forever to get them, cost too much, and they aren't even beige as advertised.  I can paint them but it's frustrating to me.

94touring

Here's the innocenti oil cooler and stamping that makes it original.

MiniDave

Cool, just needs  bit of cleanup....

We def need those backing plates for the rear brakes. One is badly corroded.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Pair of altissimos, battery cover, and grill arrived.  All in very mint shape too!

MiniDave

Cool....progress.

I'll be back by Wed and get going on it again. All the parts should be done at the coater's too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniGene

When you guys list this on BAT (that's the plan, right?) are you going to ensure you show or express all of the effort you went through to make this thing so original?  I sure hope so.

94touring

MiniDave

I have no idea how much they allow you to post about your repairs, or how much it makes sense to write before people's eyes glaze over, but some good photos will go a long way to telling the story.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 14, 2018, 12:45:50 PM
I have no idea how much they allow you to post about your repairs, or how much it makes sense to write before people's eyes glaze over, but some good photos will go a long way to telling the story.

I don't think there is any limit on photos - I've seen some auctions with literally 250+ photos. 

A representative of BaT writes the description at the top of the auction posting of the vehicle being sold.  Sure that is based upon details from the Seller, but it is still BaT who is writing the vehicle description and that has to fit a certain BaT formula regarding content and length of information.   

However, the Seller can of course post as many comments on the auction as they want.  So that provides essentially an unlimited space to explain all the information and nuances that the Seller wants to detail.    Clueless and disinterested Sellers don't take advantage of that, but savvy Sellers use that opportunity to really help sell the vehicle, along with being responsive to comments and questions.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Driving videos are helpful too, if done right. I like to see the drive-by as well as the inside view.

No problems with being an involved seller...... 77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Probably ought to plan to get that box of parts headed here in the near future.....I'll need those backing plates - they need to go to the coater's....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Back at it, ordered more parts too......and picked up the last bits from the powdercoater's.

Before I can get back to work I need to clean and re-organize the shop again, I left it in a bit of a mess right before I headed off to Oregon

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

More cleanup work, before you can put anything together, it all has to be cleaned, painted or coated and cleaned again.

All the little bits came in from MinisSpares so I should have everything to start putting stuff back together. In the meantime I've been finishing up with Clancy's rear subframe so he can take it home with him, that way I'll have room to put the Inno one together and hang it in the car. That will make space so I can build Clancy's front subframe and suspension, then I can do the Inno's.

Still lots of clean up and so on to do - I need to rebuild the front calipers - I have the kits - but first I need to take them apart, sandblast, clean and repaint them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I like the silver instead of the usual black. I will at the point of paint for the same parts soon for the moke and will need to decide what color now.

MiniDave

I thought the silver would look better behind the Cromodoras, since we don't have Minifins. I really like the slick, shiny finish on the Moke components done by the powdercoater......but Dan decided on satin black for the suspension parts. Probably a good choice going for originality. I gave the silver parts a good coat of etch primer before I painted them with the stainless steel topcoat. We haven't decided what to paint the calipers yet, they should be a very light silver gold, but I don't know where I would get that.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Tonight it was the brake calipers turn.....I split them and there was still clear fluid in them BUT, the pistons were stuck tight. I was looking online for that special set of piston removal pliers when I had a brainstorm - my neighbor up the street is a plumber - so I called to see if he had an internal pipe tool big enough and he did. It only took a few min to get all 4 of them broke loose, then with air power they all eventually popped out. I was surprised to see they were all clean, no rust or pitting in them at all, but boy howdy were they stuck tight!

So I'll get the caliper halves blasted and painted, then after they cure for a couple of days I'll reassemble them - I already have my tube of Dunlop red grease and I have new seal kits and those impossible to find intermediate seals that go between the caliper halves.

In the past, when I couldn't get a piston out I've resorted to fitting a plug with a zerk fitting and using a grease gun to force them out -doesn't damage the piston but leaves a big mess to clean up! Glad I didn't have to go there with these.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I used high pressure air and blew the 66 caliper pistons out like a shot gun blast!

MiniDave

These didn't budge when I did that, but once they were broke loose they slowly moved under air pressure, I use a C-clamp so they can't shoot out and kill someone or put a dent in the car!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

velopackrat

Dave,

What diameter are those pistons?  I've looked at stainless replacement pistons and read 1.75" but mine are a hair under 2" in diameter.

Thanks,
Chris