73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Dave gets to sell his green mini and make out like a king if we keep it.  Not sure if I'd get rid of a project shell like the 67s or just add to the collection.  Add to the collection is my guess.  As it sits right now I barely drive the toy cars anymore.  Rx7 goes out once every couple months and the blue mini has only been seeing the 5 mile stretch of curvey roads behind the shop...which I've been destroying with the race tires let me tell you!  Joint custody on the inno would probably mean I drive it a few times a year, which is fine by me!

velopackrat

Willie_B

The pedal box for a sedan may be the same for either side. I know that moke ones differ for each side.

MiniDave

Won't know till I take it apart, and that will be a while yet.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

It appears our pedal box is a LHD, that's why there's such a weird gap to between the brake and accelerator pedals......so that's good news. Dan sourced us a LHD accelerator so we're good to go, might need a different cable tho. I'll have to check that out after I get everything mounted back in the car, so much further down the road.

Today I had a small victory, one of the 8 bolts that hold the outer trailing arm brackets to the rear subframe broke off. I dug all the grease and muck out from around it, but there was nothing left to grab with the vice grips, so I drilled it out, thinking I could get the torch to it then use an easy out once the rust's grip was broken. However, that just didn't work, then I noticed there was a small bit sticking out of the inside of the captive nut, so I got some sharp nosed vide grips on it and it moved! I could only turn it a tiny bit at a time, but patience won out and I managed to thread it thru the back side of the nut. I ran a tap thru the captive nut and the threads look and feel fine. I'll use all new bolts of course, and I always pack them with grease so they will always come back out, even years from now. Once I get all the grease and muck off the rear subby it's ready to go to the master blaster coater.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning up and separating parts out to get either just blasted or blasted and coated.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's in need of blasting back there alright!

Willie_B

MiniDave

Yes!

One of many small successes....they all add up tho.

Now I'm in for the drudge part, scraping all the muck off and cleaning everything to get ready to start rebuilding.

I have caliper rebuild kits coming, all the suspension bits and bushings and so on, all those parts need to be cleaned up and painted and so on.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've been slowly piecing together little bits and bobs.  Our rear badge is missing the 1300 portion.  A few weeks ago had found one online but they wanted something like $125 for the thing.  Not worth it.  Oh and inno pedal rubber has typically been $100.  Yeah $100.  Anyhow found the rear badge and pedal rubber for a fraction of $225. Still pricey but in the justifiable range to make the car complete.  I may win a bid on a hellebore steering wheel which is what the car should have.  It's knicked and aged a bit, but the price is right and it can be refurbished or at least spruced up well enough.  The other hellebore wheels have been in the $400 range.

velopackrat

Extracting what was left of that bolt had to have made you feel a bit smug.  That was a victory, plain and simple.

Personally I choose to forget all the times I've failed on those types of surgery.  But check out one of my little victories.  How to extract sheared off engine i.d. plate rivets?  Drill a teeny hole in the sheared rivet, tap teeny weenie threads in said rivet, screw in a teeny screw and then pry out what's left with a teeny crescent wrench as a lever.

But back to you two guys.  Who's Ed and who's Mike on your two-up Wheeler Dealer team?

MiniDave

I think we're both Edd - split in two! I do the spannerin, and Dan makes em look pretty! We've both successfully sold cars in the past, but I choose not to be the "Mike"   ;D

BTW, I'm very impressed with your rivet removal - I just broke off drill bits when I tried to drill them out.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I haven't seen the show to know who's who!

MiniDave

Oh, you need to watch...it's a fun show. There are two iterations, one with Edd and one with Edd's replacement Ant.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Getting ready to restore these old Spax shocks.....the adjusters turn freely and definitely change the stiffness, all the way from soft as stock to OMG that's stiff!

I sent a note off to Spax requesting new rubbers and stickers - I don't have a very high hope that they'll reply or supply them, but nothing ventured.......

I did find some Rusty O'Leum paint that matches pretty well.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Whew......parts came in!

DHL delivered a day late, but they made it at last, however, as the young man was carrying one of the boxes up the drive a few parts came bouncing out. He retrieved them and said he'd make sure none fell out in the truck. I asked him to wait while I inventoried everything but he said he couldn't and if anything was wrong just to make a complaint. One part out of all that went missing, one of the radius arm repair kits!

Bruce, your parts and Dan's will go out parcel post Friday morning......and god help me, the line may be epic!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I was the ebay victor on the elusive hellebore 1300 export wheel. The last minute there were 12 bids in rapid succession.  I won.  Comes with the hub too which we may or may not need.

gr8kornholio

Dave, the rear arm repair kit?  The one that has to be reamed in?  If so I have a couple extra if you need one sooner rather than later.

Nice score Dan.  Always loved those last seconds on eBay.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Actually, I found it this morning, wedged inside an exhaust pipe!

However, I am missing a set of ball joints, but I won't need them for a while so no biggy, and they're less than $10 the set. I've already had a call from DHL and I think they're either going t get them for me or refund the money. I won't talk to them again till Friday tho.

Thanks for the offer, If I need anything I'll let you know!  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I have ball joint sets galore too if you need me to send some up.

MiniDave

Throw a set in with the other stuff JIC, if I don't use them I'll give them back.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Someone did us no favors with the rear subframe....it's thickly coated with some yellow waxy stuff that is really stuck on, the only way I can get it off is to set the subframe in the sun and let it warm up then use a sharp scraper - and even then it's hard to get off! I think the same stuff is on the rear control arms too.

I have to get it clean before I can send it to the powdercoaters - this stuff will not come off with a sand blaster - it will just bounce off. My pressure washer wouldn't touch it either, although I think if I had hot water and/or steam it would take it off. I also tried solvent from my parts washer tank.....made no impact on it at all.

I've got about 4 hours of scraping in so far, probably another 4 to go. I wonder at what point it makes more sense to just get a new one?

To make working space in the shop, I had to move a lot of parts out into a small shed in the back yard, the boot lid, bonnet, grill, seat, new tires and a few other things are stored out there for now till I need them later.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Sounds like years of accumulated waxoil on the subframe.

BruceK

Dave, don't you have a place nearby where you can have the subframe dipped?  You did that before, right?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

Most powder coat places have a strip tank as well almost hard to be in that business and not have one unless they only powder coat sand blastable stuff?
Also, the blast equipment they have may take that stuff off anyway I get what you're saying about sand bouncing off but in my experience stuff my blast cabinet won't touch they just laugh at and say no problem.
(edit) Propane torch or weed burner? if you keep going at it yourself.