73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

That's right, I remember seeing the twin exhaust on your Moke now.....

I think we've decided on a Maniflow twin box with twin center pipes, still kicking it around
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Twin centre pipes look great! Going to do that on mine eventually.

MiniDave

And it's out! Bulkhead looks great too.........tomorrow I'll get the engine mounted in my engine stand and see if I can make it run...might not be able to as it has a bad starter.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

drmini

I have redrawn the Innocenti wiring diagram in full colour with English names, etc.  I did this several years back when I was rewiring the 1300 Export for a customer's car.  I would be happy to send you a copy.  I have it in AutoCAD, but can have it converted to some other format if you can't open AutoCAD dwg files.  Email me with your request along with the preferred format.  FWIW, I also have several UK Mini wiring diagrams in colour as well.  Cheers, Hugh

drmini

Now that the engine bay is empty, did you find the VIN stamped into the RH inner wing?  Just curious if it matched the number on the incorrect plate and the window etchings.

94touring

Negative on the wing. But the Parnell book shows the German built having the plate on the carpet under the pax seat.  It also shows one on the slam panel in one photo.  Hugh I think it's a new shell considering 1 paint job, no metal work, virtually no rust anywhere, and the fact it's a 73 with single bolt subframe, wing washer bracket, and outter bonnet hinges.  What do you think?

MiniDave

Got some more errands done on the Inno this AM, my lock and key guy actually had a blank for the ignition key, so he's going to cut new keys for us by the codes rather than copy them. I was amazed he had a key blank for the ignition as it's an Arman key, one I'd never heard of but is used on Fiats and Citroens.

DrMini kindly sent me his redone wiring diagram so I went to Kinkos and had it enlarged to 11X17 so my poor tired eyes could read it - they also laminated it for me!

Today I'll get the engine wrassled out of the subframe and into the engine stand......it's a rainy gloomy day with snow forecast for later in the week, perfect weather for working in the shop!

I have a substantial order in the cart at MiniSpares, just waiting for me to push the go button but I'm going to give it a few more days in case I think of other things we need, I know I'll be finding other things I forgot 5 min after I push the button.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

drmini

Glad you were able to copy the wiring diagram.  11 x 17 seems small to me given the amount of lines and information on the drawing.  Just out of curiousity, what did it cost to do the laminated 11 x 17?  Were the colours good/readable?  I unfortunately, the White wires probably print in black same as the Black ones, but have a W all over them.  On the UK wiring diagrams I think I used a dotted line to indicate White, but even that is hard to read as White.

MiniDave

Yes, some of the white wires are hard to see and they are dotted, but with all the "W's" on the lines it's no problem. They sure did use a completely different scheme than the English cars did!

$6.50 to print and laminate inc tax

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Dual Dellorto carbs on the one I have.

MiniDave

Can you buy rebuild kits for those?

Were those factory or aftermarket?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

No idea on either question. That was on it when I got it.

MiniDave

Engine is out of the subframe and mounted in the engine stand, tomorrow I'll start trying to see if it will run....I'm betting it will! Hardy Spicer joints are a PITA......

Added a bunch of suspension parts, bushings and such to the ever growing parts list.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on November 05, 2018, 04:25:42 PM
Can you buy rebuild kits for those?

Were those factory or aftermarket?

They look like there factory as the install looks too finished.

Rebuild kits are available.
https://www.ebay.com/i/230353259131?chn=ps

MiniDave

Not bad for the rebuild kits, I've seen SU HIf kits for way more.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Progress, but slow......as always.  ;D

I got the intake and exhaust installed - I had to clean and rethread not just the holes but also the studs that mount the intake.

The starter from the Inno is fubar, the bushings are worn out so it won't crank under compression, but digging around in my old parts I found another starter that seems to be useable, so I mounted it up.

I had trouble geting the distributor back in and had to remove the old bracket and clean it and the end that fits into the drive gear.

i also had to convrt over to the standard oil pressure pipe as there was no room to mount the oil cooler in the engine stand - took me over an hour to find where I had put the damn pipe.

Now about all that's left is to wire it up and and get the fuel to the carb, then see if it will crank over on this starter. I'm going to run compression first too. I had to mount my spare alternator too as the Inno is wired differently.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

No joy getting it to run this am....no fire, so I have to do some more sleuthing. Ran compression tho......150, 150, 140 , 145 and that's without adjusting the valves, could be more there after I get it started and blow out the cobwebs. The old starter that I dug out of my old parts stash cranks it over pretty good.

More as it happens - or doesn't! ::) 8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Spark, fuel, compression...should vroom vroom.

velopackrat

It's fun to read along and watch the progress you guys are making.  Thanks for sharing the saga.

MiniDave

Spent the day tearing down the front subframe and all it's components so I can send them all off to the powder/blaster/coaters on Tuesday. Looks like it's had recent upper control arm bearings and shafts, everything else was totally knackered....all the rubbers were done, all soft and squishy from the oil and the inner sleeves welded with rust onto their shafts. The cones were about 1/2 normal size. It will all come back looking brandy new and I'll have all new bushings and bolts to re-assemble it all. Nice that it came with Hilos too......

I don't know if I can get the rear out and torn down in time to send it off with the others by Tuesday, due to the cold I can only work so long in the shop before I have to go back in and warm up again.

Subframe looks like new other than being coated in grease and grime, no damage or rust on it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Cones were a good idea to add to the list!

MiniDave

I also tore down the hubs, brakes and axles, I added new ball joints to the list but I think the discs are OK. I already had caliper rebuild kits in the cart so I think I'm ready to push the go button on the order today. If MiniSpares holds true to form they'll have the stuff to me no later than Thurs!

While everything is out being cleaned, blasted, painted or coated I have a lot of cleanup to do too...I plan to just take solvent and 409 to the firewall, then I have to clean everything that attaches to the parts I sent out - that will take a few days (weeks?) too.

What do you guys think for the calipers, black, silver, red.....something else? I'm thinking silver myself, since everything else in the front end will be shiny black and the car is already red.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I did my calipers in silver. Looks good.

94touring

I'd say silver or that stock gold color, but probably silver.