73 Mini Innocenti 1300 Export

Started by MiniDave, October 23, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

The carpet looks brand new. Luckily they didn't cut the right side for the steering column.  A cat slept on the seats but they will clean.  I have beige inno door pockets I found to replace the one and add to the drivers door where it went missing.  They added door pulls, which is probably fine since that's how the pockets break.  Otherwise it's all there interior wise.  Has the S head so presumably the S engine that came with it. Hs4s instead of 2s. A few pieces of old paperwork showing it hit up car shows in the UK back in the 90s.

Willie_B

I think all Inno 1300's were 11 bolt.

MiniDave

Yes, but what he's referring to is that the one by the thermostat is a bolt instead of a stud/nut. That's the way the factory did them, so we are hoping it's the original engine.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The 1300 exports had an S engine and made some good numbers.

94touring

Before and after on a seat to get an idea how they'll clean up.

MiniDave

gonna need new seat foams, but they look so much better! I really like the style of those seats....  77.gif

Why aren't the black race wheels on the Hot Rod Mini yet?   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Dan says the only thing he hasn't found are the keys to the locking gas caps. Just on the odd chance that they might work, I have two different keys to try. If that doesn't work, we have a good locksmith not far away.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

drmini

Locking gas caps on a Mini in the US are a liability.  Anytime I have gotten a Mini with a locking gas cap I took it off and threw it in the trash.  Can't get those key blanks here in the US so the caps are a problem waiting to happen.

MiniDave

My local Lock and Key guy makes them for me, he has the blanks.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Dan brought the Inno up today, first thing we did was take it by the Locksmith, but no joy - he thinks the lock cylinders are stuck solid. So we brought it back to the house and unloaded it and sprayed some Kroil into the locks. We have what we think are the right keys and the right side seems to be moving a bit so we'll leave it overnight and see if it comes loose.

While we were at it I got a battery in the back and we cranked it over - with the plugs out we got 50lbs of oil pressure! So more good news, not only is the engine not stuck it made good oil pressure. We also found the vin etched into the window glass, and it matches everything else we've found - so yay!

The car looks every bit as good underneath as on top, this is one of the straightest Minis I've ever seen. And - no oversills!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

As soon as we put power to the car the antenna went up and the radio came on.

MiniDave

Last night I removed those awful fog lights, they were only held on with a rubber bungee and a couple of screws, the rest were attached with a frameworks of bits of chopped up metal strap - pitiful. I also pulled the grill and the sump plate so I could have a look around underneath - subframe has plenty of British rustproofing on it! Looks like the side seals are definitely leaking. But, it also looks completely original, undamaged and of course - not rusty. Found a local place that will blast and powdercoat both for $100 total so once I drop and strip them they'll be off to the coater's. Sump plate has definitely been doing it's job...heavy little sucker too!

Today I pulled the bonnet off for better access and more light and took off the air cleaners, I reached in and tried to lift the carb pistons but they were stuck tight! I took the domes off but the pistons were still held, so I carefully wedged them out. A quick blast of carb spray and they look like new. The filters are completely shot so we'll find some K&N's to fit, but surprise - it has some cool stubstacks on it!.

I still would like to see if I can get it to run before I pull the engine out for cleanup and reseal but it may be I need to spend too much time cleaning fuel tanks and such for that to work, we'll see. I'm also going to have to cut off the gas caps as they just are not coming loose - found out we do have the correct keys for them too but we're going with some cool Monza style caps anyway, so no loss.

Tomorrow I'll pop down and get a new battery for it, then we'll go from there.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Do you guys need a dash? From what I remember yours seemed quite good, but there's a guy listing an innocenti dash on a closed Facebook group.

It's pricey at £475, but I figured I'd ask.

MiniDave

Wow, instruments and all....No - ours is in good shape - no knowledge about whether our instruments work other than the oil pressure gauge tho

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

As you can see from the picture Vikram posted, the Inno dash is a single, full-width item.  Others have correctly mentioned, they can be brittle and tricky to remove.

Perhaps Vikram can query the seller of that dash as to the procedure he used to remove it without cracking or breaking it?

MiniDave

I'm not planning to remove ours, as long as everything works it's staying right where it is. I'm hopeful that since ours spent a lot of time in a dark garage, the sun hasn't hurt it too badly.

What we could use are a couple of those cool silver eyeball vents on the end of the dash.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 31, 2018, 05:14:36 PM
I'm not planning to remove ours, as long as everything works it's staying right where it is. I'm hopeful that since ours spent a lot of time in a dark garage, the sun hasn't hurt it too badly.

What we could use are a couple of those cool silver eyeball vents on the end of the dash.

Those Innocenti eyeball vents are kind weird - air only flows through half of the vents and the other part is not open -it's just painted black to look like a vent.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

About the sumpguard,  I thought the Inocenti ones were not solid like the one you took off but were made out of a series of strips of flat metal with gaps between the strips.  Like flat bar.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on October 31, 2018, 06:06:02 PM
About the sumpguard,  I thought the Inocenti ones were not solid like the one you took off but were made out of a series of strips of flat metal with gaps between the strips.  Like flat bar.

That is correct. 

velopackrat

Your stub stacks are an MGB item, I'm pretty sure.  Cone shaped K&N's are available to fit those.

MiniDave

The carbs are HS 4's, we thought they might be from a B, that was a common swap back in the day, however the float bowls are at the right angle.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

drmini

Yes, the sumpguard is not original Innocenti.  Like was said, the Innocenti sumpguards are made of a series of flat stock that makes up the sumpguard.  The beauty of an original Innocenti sumpguard is that you can remove one of the slats to reach the oil filter for a somewhat clean oil change.  With that sumpguard (and most others) you have to remove the entire sumpguard.

Willie_B

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on October 31, 2018, 01:25:51 PM
Last night I removed those awful fog lights, they were only held on with a rubber bungee and a couple of screws, the rest were attached with a frameworks of bits of chopped up metal strap - pitiful. I also pulled the grill and the sump plate so I could have a look around underneath - subframe has plenty of British rustproofing on it! Looks like the side seals are definitely leaking. But, it also looks completely original, undamaged and of course - not rusty. Found a local place that will blast and powdercoat both for $100 total so once I drop and strip them they'll be off to the coater's. Sump plate has definitely been doing it's job...heavy little sucker too!

Today I pulled the bonnet off for better access and more light and took off the air cleaners, I reached in and tried to lift the carb pistons but they were stuck tight! I took the domes off but the pistons were still held, so I carefully wedged them out. A quick blast of carb spray and they look like new. The filters are completely shot so we'll find some K&N's to fit, but surprise - it has some cool stubstacks on it!.

I still would like to see if I can get it to run before I pull the engine out for cleanup and reseal but it may be I need to spend too much time cleaning fuel tanks and such for that to work, we'll see. I'm also going to have to cut off the gas caps as they just are not coming loose - found out we do have the correct keys for them too but we're going with some cool Monza style caps anyway, so no loss.

Tomorrow I'll pop down and get a new battery for it, then we'll go from there.

Nice find. The last Mini with twin SU's i recently got running after a 9 year slumber i blocked off the fuel line removed the float lids and filled the float chambers with fuel and fired it up, they run for quite a while. I have driven them around the block with a gravity fed container also.

I beleive HS4 and HS2 float chamber grommets are the same so it is easy to get the right float chamber angle although the jets may be shorter, maybe they were re built to Mini spec.