1982 Austin Morris/Mini HL

Started by lomelij, February 09, 2010, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lomelij

I just bought myself an 1982 mini and am in need of some direction.  I don't know really where to start, but I know i need to get the corrosion fixed on this bad boy.  I've attached two links so you guys can check it out...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomeli3j/TheNewCar#

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomeli3j/TheMiniPt2#

I'm excited to get this bad boy fixed up.  Reading some of the topics, I see that 94touring does some work...would you be willing to take a look and check it out?  I would do it myself, but I don't have the tools and know nothing about welding.  Let me know what you guys think?  Any suggestions are very much appreciated...

Laters,
John

joltfreak

94touring does some great work!!!! we well take good care of you.

also check out my mini site, there good info there as well http://joltfreak.tripod.com
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

lomelij

I have your website on my favorites already...lol.  I gotta give you props man, your mini looks awesome.  Thanks for the site.

94touring

Welcome welcome!  Looks pretty solid for starters so thats good.  Looks like maybe someone tried to do some work on the wing/scuttle and used a bit much bondo, which is why its cracking and the seam is non existant on the left side for the most part.  I'm always willing to look at and fix up minis for a small fee.  :)  I see you're in New Mexico which isn't too far from AZ.  Gotta get my new house out here and garage setup before I could tackle anything if you're wanting to go that route.  Email me or PM me on here and we can talk more.     

94touring

Glancing back through the pics I see you need door skins, wings, perhaps A-panels, and at least one scuttle.  I'm sure there will be a few random patches as well.  How do the floors look?  The car I just fixed for a guy back east had similar looking problem areas.  He went the budget route and had me patch the best I could, but to do it right you really need to just replace the panels.  Still a fun looking mini though.   

lomelij

Man, I appreciate the welcome...been looking for a while for some people who are into these cars.  Thanks for allowing me to be part of your forum.

I want to fix up the mini right, so whatever suggestions you give I'll take.  I would like to strip it down completely and primer everything...kind of like what you did with the "1982 refurbish" job on your forum.  I'm sure deep down there is more...this is where I need the help.

The floor boards are bad...really bad.  I'm thinking it needs new sheet metal underneath.  I'll see if i can take it to a lift somewhere and take pics of the underside for you.  I can tell you that the right side seat floor frame is broken because of the rust...which is not good.

The wiring is what I've been trying to figure out...the speedometer works, but none of the gauges or switches work.  I got the head lights to come on now, but no blinkers, no parking lights and no horn.  I just bought a battery for it, so it is drivable now...lol.

As far as where I live...I'm in the Air Force and stationed at Cannon AFB, NM.  I'm on the border of west Texas and east New Mexico...the city of Clovis.  There is nothing to do here so I bought this as a project to keep me busy and it has...which is great.

I am interested in you taking a look, so whenever you are settled please let me know.  I'm willing to drive it up to you and see what magic you can do.  My biggest concern right now is the amount of corrosion and bondo it has...just as you said.   

94touring

If you can pull the carpet back and snap a photo that will do, as well as on the outside along the cill's, which is just below the doors from front to back.  I'm not always the best with electricals but can usually figure it out.  On your signals you may want to check for an inline fuse in the engine bay along the firewall.  Its usually tucked up under the scuttle nearly behind the carb.       

94touring

Hey kinda short notice and probably on the wrong side of the state, but I'm flying to Deming NM tomorrow.  Won't be around long, but could look at the car if our paths cross. 

lomelij

man, I would really appreciate it...but lookin on google maps, it's like a 7 hr drive from Deming to Clovis.  If you're willing that would be awesome brotha!  I can email you my cell number if you like...i really would like for you to take a look though.

94touring

Well I'm flying a guy to Deming for a business meeting and will be hanging around for a couple hours and then flying him back to AZ.  Too bad it wasn't closer.   

lomelij

dang...i figured it would be a little too far.   I've been trying to upload some pics...but been having a little trouble.  I think it's because of the megapixel setting...I'll keep trying.

Did you get settled with your new home yet?  where exactly are you in AZ?  Maybe I can make the trip to you...

lomelij

So here's where I'm at with the project...I took out all the unnecessary wiring.  I took out that little TV it had and I installed new wiring for the speakers and radio.  I really don't know what the previous owner was trying to do...I'm surprised the car never caught fire!  Anyway, for now the radio works while i drive it around.

The previous owner put some type of tar to stop the corrosion i think.  It didn't work...

Going back to the wiring, I found that there was a burnt run on the back of the speedometer.  I'm pretty sure this is why my temp and gas gauges don't work.  At least I can see my speed...I still can't figure out why none of the switches work.  Man it was a pain trying to go around that heating assy...i did not know that the coolant runs through there.  I found out quick...have any of you taken that heating assy out?  I wonder if i can bypass it and not have a spill of antifreeze again when i decide to go under again.

Below I posted some pics of what i did...I took some pics of the underbody, I tried to do the best i could with no lift.  My priority now is trying to get the corrosion fixed...I'm just glad i can drive it around.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomeli3j/UnderTheMini#

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomeli3j/TheInside#

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomeli3j/TheTrunk#

Willie_B

Flashlight in the mouth is always fun.

94touring

I am south of Tucson in Sahaurita.  I'm suppose to close on the house around April 1st.  After that feel free to stop by.  HOA should love my projects, lol.   

Looking like you need some new floor pans, maybe whole sections and x-member may be questionable.  Cills, depending on how they really look under the undercoating are hopefully still good.  That stuff is a nightmare to get off too from a previous experience or two. 

Yeah on your picture uploads, you probably need to shrink them up a bit. 

lomelij

dang...any suggestions as to how to get started with this monster?  I want to make that trip up to you after April...I honestly don't even know where to start with this project...lol.  I can take some time off and put in some work...all i need is some guidance and direction.

???

My boy was helping me out with zip tying some wires...i was proud to see my boy putting in an effort in helping out instead of video games...he helped replace the battery terminal and put the battery in...lol.

I have to ask...what is an X-member?  Is it where the seats bolt in?  While i was pulling the carpet up, i found myself pulling up some of the metal up with rust...I'm thinking it's pretty bad.

Sounds like you place is going to be "the spot".  

94touring

Hmm, basically how I get started is by pulling everything and anything off the car.  All interior, all exterior, and engine bay as needed or desired.  Then its a matter of fixing each bad area one by one and anything pulled off that needs attention one by one.  The interior I would typically leave the heater assembly and dash, unless something needs worked on.  In your case you're working on it.  So you could really take everything out and start going through the wires to get it sorted.  If its really bad and molested you could just replace the harness and start fresh since now would be the time to do that. 

The x member is the part the seats attach to.  I could just tell by looking at the underside its probably rusted out pretty badly where it would spot weld to the floor.  Doesn't surprise me your carpet has become infused.  You really have the full restore on your hands since its floors, doors, and front end panels to replace.  Between panels, paint, materials and supplies you'll probably have close to 2 grand invested.  If I had to guess I'd say about 15-30 full days of work.  Thats my work time, lol, keep in mind I did a full bare shell tear down, replaced panels, and restore/reassembly (car at the top of the page) in 14 days over a xmas break.  For some reason I'm abnormally fast.  ;D  If you're bringing the car here for me to do all this, ideally it would be just a bare shell for me to work with.  At that point I could change colors easily, flip the car all around to work on floors, and also not have a huge pile of parts in the way.  I'll shoot you an email so we can get into more detail about this process.                 

94touring

Hey!  If you have a zip file of all your photos now is a good time to send them to me.  I'll be mass importing pictures into the media gallery after this database restore thats taking place. 

lomelij

hey man, I haven't forgot about you...I'm trying to make a plan on how to get the car down to you and do the payment.  I'll still keep in touch...thanks again for your help.

4.gif

94touring

Sounds good, I'll be here.  You thinking of hauling it here somehow?  Uhaul trailers do the job and I have a flat tow bar setup I use too. 

Any luck with your electrical mess?

94touring

Update:  John is being sent to Germany for 4 years so looks like the mini project is on hold.