Clancy's Moke Restoration

Started by MiniDave, October 08, 2018, 09:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on March 21, 2019, 11:58:32 AM
Just got an email from British Wiring - harness is already shipped!

And I wonder whether your next order will be from Bullmotif or British Wiring?   Not really.  I guess some businesses just don't care too much about ensuring they meet their customer's needs (for payment, communication, and inventory)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

It was a lot more money, about 25% - $300 vs $400 - but like you say, the service is worth it.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Moke harness showed up today and looks like OEM factory made....should work perfectly. $415 shipped vs $315 from England.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, after a pretty long hiatus, we're back to work on Clancy's Moke....he's gotten it home from the powdercoaters and he likes the result. Next up he'll get the wiring harness laid in then I'll head up to his shop to install the front and rear subframes, do some finish wiring and see if I can get it to start. Of course, that will have to wait till after I get back from Snowmass....

He wants new tail light assemblies - but he doesn't want the "beehive" style, rather he would like the "flat" ones....all I've seen online are beehives, anyone know where to get the ones he wants?

He's also looking for a "Bimini" style top, he doesn't need side curtains or a rear window, just shade. Any tips on where to get one or get one made?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The early Mokes had just the round beehive style.  The later Mokes had the square housings with flat lenses.

To have the small round taillights in a flat lense, you may have to be creative in adapting aftermarket trailer/accessory lights.  Most auto parts stores have a selection in a section near the towing accessories.  Most likely you would have to do an in-person search to find options that could be adapted.

MPlayle

As for the top, he will most likely have to have one custom made.  Almost any auto upholstery shop should be able to make one.

A lot depends on what top support he has.  Is he going to be using the original factory top bows?

MiniDave

Yes, I'm ordering him some in the next few days.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Check with wherever you are ordering the top bows from to see if they also offer a basic top.  I seem to recall M-Parts offering tops, although theirs had a rear window and no sides.

BruceK

Please don't rig up some awful all-red generic trailer light or Jeep light - the Moke at least deserves a proper red & amber combination lamp assembly.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Honestly, I tend to agree with Bruce.  I would recommend telling him to "suck it up" and go with the proper beehive lens taillights.

MiniDave

So, the only flat style ones were the later two tone rectangular ones? Normally it would have had beehives?

I wonder if the reason he wants the flat ones is to fit it into the trailer when he goes to the races, maybe he's concerned the beehive ones get knocked off? I'll have to ask him but he's in Toledo right now....and I don't think he gets back till after I'm gone to Colorado.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I also dislike the pointy beehive lenses and ended up useing early Morris Minor clear flat lenses in the front turn signals of a Mini as i used a two filament bulb and some 7 inch flat lens H4's head lights with no sidelights in them. The flat lenses were fitted into the stock bee hive rubber housings with the chrome ring.

Couldn't you just paint the inside of the flat lenses with lens paint for the rears?

MiniDave

OK, those are available from Moss, but like you said he would have to tint the lenses.....I'll talk to him and see what he wants to do. Thanks for the tip!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on June 14, 2019, 06:20:20 PM
So, the only flat style ones were the later two tone rectangular ones? Normally it would have had beehives?

All UK Mokes had the beehive style taillights.  I think the early Aussie Mokes also had the beehives and later went to the rectangular single housing styles.  All of the Portuguese and Cagiva Mokes had rectangular taillights.

MiniDave

This weekend we got the the subframes installed in Clancy's Moke - I had previously gotten him a wiring harness, and he had it laid in, the speedo was in, lights were all in tho nothing was wired up.

The rear subframe went in easily, although we had to reset the body on his cart to get clearance for the front edge, but it went in fairly easily.

The front was a bit more troublesome, possibly because we had 5 "helpers" all of whom had ideas on how it should go back together, none of whom would listen to me so it probably took  couple hours longer than it should have done. The engine and radiator were also in the subby, and he had a 50mm 2 core aluminum rad which required some trimming of the panel to fit. But in the end we got it hung in the car, Clancy didn't have all the bolts and washers needed to button it up but we got it secured. He'll get the rest of the hardware he needs this afternoon and button it up. We weren't helped by the fact that I think this subby has been hit and is slightly tweaked.....

I forgot to take pics, but I will next time I'm up there.....one thing I'm really impressed by is the powdercoating on the body shell, it really turned out slick - every bit as good as a paint job, and far cheaper too. He paid about $1000 to have it stripped and soda blasted, then another $1500 for the powder coating - so $2500 all in and that's the entire car coated inside and out.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Is the powder coating matte or glossy? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Shiny, and very smooth and slick - almost like glass.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

On August 1st I placed an order with M-Parts for some stuff for Clancy's Moke, you have to ask for a quote so they can remove VAT and add shipping to the US, which I did.

YESTERDAY I got the quote - 15 days to get a price so I could send them some money and get some parts! On top of that, when I went to pay, the banks fraud protection software denied my purchase - three times on two different cards. Even after I called the bank and they said it would go thru - it didn't. Finally, they had to remove all fraud protections from that account for one day so my purchase would go thru.

The only other time I've ever had a problem trying to buy parts from overseas was when my purchase exceeded the one day limit on my account. A quick call to the bank fixed that and that one went thru easily.

The good side of the M Parts purchase? it's already shipped and I have a tracking number. We'll see how long it takes for the parts to get here.

Edit: Tracking says delivery next Wed by 6pm, we'll see.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Yeah......I have to say I'm not impressed with M-Parts.

My shipment hasn't left Europe yet, but tracking says it should be here by Monday, the 26th.....5 days longer than the original tracking said. I don't know if that's an M-Parts problem, the shipper's problem, a Brexit problem or what.......all I know is that it's taken a month to get a small shipment of in stock parts from them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on August 21, 2019, 08:41:50 AM
Yeah......I have to say I'm not impressed with M-Parts.

My shipment hasn't left Europe yet, but tracking says it should be here by Monday, the 26th.....5 days longer than the original tracking said. I don't know if that's an M-Parts problem, the shipper's problem, a Brexit problem or what.......all I know is that it's taken a month to get a small shipment of in stock parts from them.

Going on two weeks just waiting on a quote from them, I should not be surprised after already dealing with them.

94touring

They must be so busy stamping out panels they don't have time to sell them!

Willie_B

It may be that they were at the IMM and other shows.

MiniDave

When I couldn't get a response I had my brother (who lives in the Midlands) call them. They said they had just moved into a new facility and they were just getting things sorted out. However, there is no mention of that on the website, and they should at least answer a freaking email!  :-[

IMHO that is.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

M-Parts has had their struggles over the last year it seems to answer and ship accurately in due time.

I recently took an order from Moke panels.com

https://mokepanels.com/moke-parts/

They do not have a super thrifty online purchase ability but the response time was adequate = sent a paypal invoice to me .  Processed and shipped in fair time _ delivered on time too.

They may not have ALLLLL the moke parts M parts does but they offer Nearly the same.

I would shop both for any Moke needs.