Clancy's Moke Restoration

Started by MiniDave, October 08, 2018, 09:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Disc brake kits came in to MIniSpares again, so I have one on the way for the Moke along with a bunch of other pieces parts.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I've had an interesting time finishing up the suspension on the rear subframe for the Moke..specifically fitting the outer radius arm brackets. When I get everything buttoned up, the bracket misses the holes by quite a bit. So, I took it all apart and used just the inner shaft and washers - it was just too long to make it all fit, so I found a couple of the old nuts and tightened them on the end of the old shaft, then got out the 3 pounder.

15 min later, things are pretty close, but rather than hit it anymore I decided to ream the holes a tiny bit for the extra clearance, Clarance. Now all I have to do it put it all back together, it takes three of four arms to do that, so I may have to get some help from my lovely assistant.

I also found I had the wrong  emergency brake cable brackets - the ones that go between the shoes - but fortunately I had a new set in stock, so the brakes are now done too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I ran into that too.  Luckily I had 2 sets since the tool I bought came with a set.  2 of the 4 were the same length and fit my arms.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Allrightythen.....it's all back together except for the emergency brake cables, he took the brackets off to the powdercoater's today, so I won't see those for a couple of weeks.

He'll be back Thursday to pick up the rear subby and I'll start on the front one....at some point he'll bring the engine down and we'll drop it into the subframe too. The body is at the welders and there was considerably more rust and bondo in it than expected so they're having to do a lot more welding and repairing - but then it's a Mini isn't it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

High praise, coming from you pbraun! Thanks.

Still a lot to do ...I don't know if he's wanting it done before the first race sometime in April or if we're on a timeline at all, but I want to get back on the Inno full blast.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Just heard from DHL at last that the parts they charged my card on a week ago will finally be here on Monday. I guess the holidays really slowed them down too......anyway I should have everything to put the front suspension together on the Moke. Clancy said the shell was in worse shape than expected so it's going to need to spend more time at the welder's but that it's coming along. Since he's decided to powdercoat it instead of paint, the metal work has to be pretty much perfect or it will show, but I don't think he's that concerned as it will be a "pit car" for the race tracks.

BTW, does anyone have or know where to get the brackets that hold the round tube bumpers on? He has plenty of tubing he can make them from but all the suppliers seem to want to sell is the complete bumper.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

RE: Bumpers

I have never seen individual parts sold for building bumpers... But They're simple

For the rear, a piece if 1.5 angle iron would be made up and bent on one end to form the bracket. with 2 holes and welded to the bar= easy.

For the front- more of a triangle type sheet metal bracket would be made... Not Horrible but if metal is available they would be less than a few hours work to make up and be close enough.

My moke is away in winter storage now., but plan on seeing it soon i hope. I can get some better shots and measurements pretty soon if needed  Let me know.

MiniDave

Thanks, as a last resort I thought I would contact Moke parts and see if they would sell the brackets separately (to save on shipping two long pieces of pipe across the pond) If they won't then we'll make them. I agree they look simple enough in the drawings and if it were just me I'd just make them, but the body stuff is up to Clancy......I've got enough to do just building the rest of the car!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got started on the front subframe, only to come to a screeching halt when I realized the upper control arms had not been to the powdercoaters.....I also found a little bit of wear in one, where the ball had worn thru the nylon cup allowing the ball to rub on the metal arm...given the use of this car I think a tiny bit of JB under the cup for support and t will be fine.

The brackets between the control arms are just there to give back to Clancy, he left them here the other day.

Oh, and yes, I know the upper subframe mounting bolts are wrong, Clancy supplied them when he brought the subby back - I've already ordered a set.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Just be sure to redrill the "drain" hole in the cup of the upper control arm you plan on putting the JB-Weld into.

MiniDave

Right, although I doubt this car will ever see rain again in it's lifetime.....

BTW, Harbor Freight has 25% off on the 31st and 1st.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Regarding the bumper brackets Dave try D J Mini's in Wesley Chapel Fl, i believe he has made up some bumpers for Mokes before.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got the two sets of disc brakes built today, MiniSpares just sells a "kit" of all the parts, it's up to you to put them all together!

I started off packing up a set of bearings with grease and driving the inner race into the hubs, then in go the roller bearings and seals and stub axle. Turn it over and install the disc and flange, split washer and castle nut. Then bolt on the caliper, install the pads and retaining pins. The kit did come with nice, proper English made bearings! 

The only time consuming bit is shimming the ball joints properly, you put in some shims, tighten the nut and depending on whether it's tight or loose you add or subtract shims till you get it just right. I always set new ones up pretty stiff as I know there will be some wearing in, especially in the first 1000 miles. On this Moke that could be a few years since it's going to be mostly a pit car at the track.

For now I'm stuck again waiting for bits to come back from the powdercoaters, and I forgot to send the steering arms out to be cleaned and coated but as the bodywork is still in process, it will be a while before they become critical. In the meantime I'll do some more work on the Inno, I need to install and ream the radius arm bearings and install the front upper control arm bearings.

It's just too cold to paint right now, but it's supposed to hit 50* again this weekend.....that's borderline but I may be able to get some bits painted, like the axle shafts and other odds and bobs while I wait for parts from the master blasters.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Make sure you hand lap those ball joints.  Shimming is the worst part of that job!

jedduh01

For some UK Moke Bumper bracket pics .

MiniDave

Super, thanks Jedduh! I'll pass those along to Clancy.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Jedduh, is your front bumper bent? Or is that the more areo style.

MiniDave

Ha! I didn't even notice that!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

While waiting for the rest of the parts to come back from the powdercoaters I installed the rear brake pressure regulator. The new one is adjustable compared to the old one, so it would not fit in the place the old one went so I had to make a bracket. I had a scrap of stainless so I used that. A few holes, some grinding, drilling and cleaning up with some more grinding and wire brushing and it was ready to go.

I also bent up the front pipe that goes across the front of the subframe and clipped it on in anticipation that the parts will be back soon so I can install the front hub and disc assemblies.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Nice install. I may do the same for mine.

MiniDave

Thanks, the only things I'm not sure of with this design is that there's enough room for the emergency brake cables to clear and whether there's enough room between the top of the valve and the body of the car for the pipe from the front to fit into the top of the valve. I won't know that for sure till I fit the subframe into the car.

If there isn't I'll have to try something else....it's possible I could just rotate it some on the bracket as it sits to get enough clearance at the top..

I thought about just using a straight bracket to space it out far enough that the end with the adjuster could fit into the hole, but then you couldn't adjust it, so I scrapped that idea.... the only advantage to doing it that way is keeping it in the original orientation.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Just checked on mine. From the top of the subframe to the rear floor is 2 3/4". The parking brake cable is 1" above the bottom of the subframe at the mounting point.

MPlayle

Here is an alternate view of mine.  I did have to adjust the contrast and brightness to reveal the part clearer and so also circled it.