Clancy's Moke Restoration

Started by MiniDave, October 08, 2018, 09:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Got the cup in at last......

Really ruined these bearings with the sand blasting....should have pulled those out before I gave him the parts - I didn't know he was going to powder coat them or I would have.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I'm kinda stopped on the rear subframe for Clancy's Moke - I ordered a bunch of small bits and bobs way last Sunday and expected them by today or even yesterday, but it turns out due to MiniSpare's Black Cyber Sunday sale that they haven't even shipped yet. Plus too and also I sent the outer radius arm brackets and trunnions off to the powder coaters and they claim they won't be dome for two weeks......so in the meantime I'll get the bearings installed and packed in the hubs, brakes installed on the backing plates (left side backing plate will be here Friday) and at least be ready to assemble everything once the stuff from MS does finally show up, sometime next week.

I also had to place another order with Bolt Depot as apparently I wasn't paying attention on the last one and ordered 5/16 -18 stuff instead of 5/16-24. That order will be here today or tomorrow - those guys are on the ball!

Oh, and one last "fun" job, while cleaning the powder coat and sand blast residue out of the threaded holes, I broke a tap off in one of the nuts. Oh boy is that gonna be fun. I did find an interesting method online that I've never tried - you use a very small orifice on your acetylene torch, heat the center of the tap to bright red, then turn off the acetylene and leave the oxygen on - the tap will simply burn up leaving the threads undamaged - apparently they do this when they break one off in aluminum or castings.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I had a heck of a time getting the old knuckle balls out of the trumpets, they were in there tight! It took a combination of 3 lb hammer and a press to get them out....I was afraid I was going to break the aluminium trumpets if I used too much force.

I got one set of brakes done, the other backing plate will be here tonight and I can do them too, but I can't install the radius arms till I get the trunnions back from the coater as they go in first.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Is the subframe a different color?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Yes, the coaters got it wrong, but he says he's OK with it as it's under the car and really won't show....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Whew! Finally managed to get one radius arm installed - they are a total PITA with standard trumpets - easy-peasy with hi-los.

I had to install the cone and trumpet, hold that in place while I maneuvered the arm in place and engaged the knuckle into the socket on the arm, then wiggle it around till I could get the pin thru the inner hole, then get a nut and washer on it to hold it in place while I bolted the bracket onto the outside of the arm. I needed 2 more hands! Sounds simple enough when I write it but that took 2 days to figure out and make happen!

Yes, I know I don't have the trunnion on but I checked and I can get a box end wrench on the nut, and I have a pin wrench to turn the bolt. Worst case I can release the outer bracket and that will give me enough room to get a ratcheting wrench on the nut.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

One side mostly done, the other side is in but I need to get some more parts from Clancy before I can go on.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniGene

Looking good!  That color makes me think of the color of aircraft landing gear. 

MiniDave

Moke landing gear!  ;D

I picked up the rest of the parts from Clancy, now if only my MiniSpares order would ship!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I had that happen once.  Usually it's order on Sunday, arrives on Tuesday.  But one time, didn't know they were having a sale or what went on, but it took almost 2 weeks.  Hasn't happened since.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

DHL messaged me this morning that my stuff will be here Wed. The problem is MiniSpares has spoiled us with such fantastic service that when it doesn't happen once - due to a holiday or whatever - we (I) get unhappy.  ::) 62.gif

Of course, I already have another order in the cart.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

My shipment was dropped off today. I think I ordered the 23rd.

MiniDave

Same timing then, I ordered on the 25th....but, I expect quick service for as much as I pay to have this stuff shipped.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

If I remember right, it shipped quick, it was getting the order to ship that took forever.  Like I said, maybe I missed a big sale, or they went to some huge event, or maybe it was inventory.  Like you guys though it hasn't stopped me from ordering.

MiniDave

Where would I get some Moke front turn signal assemblies?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on December 16, 2018, 05:25:43 PM
Where would I get some Moke front turn signal assemblies?

Got mine here.

http://www.mokepanels.com/moke-parts/

But they are closed for the next 2 weeks.

BruceK

The Moke front turn signals are also used on later MGAs, MG 1100s, and later Morris Minor models too.  So that means there should be lots of sources for them.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I've found some at 7Ent, clear like Michael Playle's $45each.

WillieB, your's are the two tones ones?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

You can probably get some locally at Vicky British.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yes they do! Good call....cheaper too - $36 ea.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Some UK built Mokes had the all clear variety like mine and others had the two color (clear for the running light, amber for the turn signal).  I do not know what made the distinction as to which a particular Moke got.

Since Clancy is not going for authenticity, which ever you get at the preferred price should be fine.  Just make sure they can make a sufficient ground  when he powder coats the body as they ground through their mounting screws into the body.

Willie_B

The ones I bought had the two tone lens. Afterwards I got a set of the clear lens in case I decide to go that way.

Scargo

I sourced my MGA all clear lense units for the Moke from Moss.

drmini

The UK home market cars had the orange tops and clear bottom.  They had to have orange turn signals and white sidelights (parking lights) whereas, the US market cars had clear tops and bottoms because we didn't have the same requirements.  Likewise, on the rear, the UK home market cars had orange bee-hive turn signals and red bee-hive tail/brake lights.  FWIW, the units on the front are the same (orange and clear) and have inserts to change the color.

MiniDave

Victoria British has a 30% off deal this weekend if anyone needs anything - 30% off takes the front T/S assemblies down to $25 each!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad