Steering wheel vibration

Started by Armycook, October 07, 2018, 02:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armycook

I noticed I'm feeling a very annoying vibration from my steering wheel around maybe 60mph then it will get quiet and go again. Either I'd slow down to get rid of it or even go faster. Not really sure where to find the source. I've already replaced a lot of in the front suspension, balljoints properly shimmed, no play around the tie rods, steering rod ends, and even the knuckle joints and bushings, wheel bearings replaced and I have no play on these wheels up, down, in and out, (aside from the recent read end damage), only thing left I haven't really looked at are the steering rack (I have a new one but for a RHD, disc brakes which I highly doubt since it doesn't contribute to the vibration when I'm stepping on it.

Another I'm suspecting are these steel S wheels. Not sure if they're true and round. But why does the vibration come and go on even on consistent speed from 60mph and up?

94touring

Start with having the wheels balanced. 

Also...how many splines on your drive shafts? The early ones were (19? 18? Anyone remember) and were prone to vibrating so they added splines.

tsumini

Early hubs had 18 splines (my 60 has 18 splines) i understand they are very rare and doubt his has 18 splines especial;ly if disc brakes or twin leading.
Those typed of vibs are elusive. Usually a result of a part of the steering sytem with a natural frequency at 6o mph. Backlash in the steering may contribute.
An example is "Death Wobble" is 1990's Dodge Ram pickups with a soolid axle. I had it in a 1997 Ram 2500 4WD. It is scary. it was caused by wear in the front track bar on the front axle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J5WSkokN1M

gr8kornholio

Agree with Dan on the balance.  I had a similar issue around 55 on my 10" wheels.  One was way off.  Of course that didn't solve my issue completely.  Turned out my lugs were not centering my wheels(old mag style shank lugs).   This has been fixed with someone putting the angled inserts in so I can run those lugs.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jedduh01

Dealing with nearly the same with a customers car.
  Back on road for it after having a new powerplant installed.

the car came in rough shape = putting together now to have a solid reliable mini... over 40 MPH = Woah the wobbles.

Found = 2 ball jonts = one each side were very loose. ( completed a ballpoint refresh job)

now together = wheel is still 'loose'  , Pull back the steering rack boot and the inner tie rod joint is very wobbly on both sides=  1/16 of inner tie rod ball joint play = Drivers side worse than passengers.
   I can not get the 'joints' loose off the steering gear.... To try to tighten  == im going full in on replacing the steering rack.

Rosebud

I'm having the same problem; steering wheel vibration @ 60 mph. Additionally, I'm experiencing what I would call lash at the steering column during initial acceleration/deceleration and while coasting.

Motor mounts and engine steadies are good, ball joints new and properly shimmed, new wheel bearings, wheels balanced. No play in the steering rack and no vertical or horizontal play in the wheels when on the jack stands. A mystery ...
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

94touring

Check the steering rack U bolt nuts are properly torqued.  They will loosen and cause issues as well.

MiniDave

Also while you're down there check that the pinch bolt between the steering shaft and rack is tight, I've seen those loosen and cause play as well.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I have a similar issue with my car, mine is particularly bad between 48-52 mph, then it smooths out to about 70 when it gets pretty vibratey....my wheels have been checked for run out, balanced several times, the rack is new, in fact everything in the front end is new....it's annoying as hell, especially when I drive other cars and they are smooth as butta.....so I know something's still wrong somewhere, but I'm damned if I can find it. Mine also comes and goes...even at steady speeds.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I was thinking you'd fixed that Dave.  Felt nice when I drove it, granted it was brief.   

Any chance wheel spacers are off center and causing a slight imbalance?

MiniDave

Significant chance of that as they have slots for holes, but given how little they weigh and the fact that they're so close to the center of the wheel I've always discounted that. One way to find out would be to take them off, assuming I still have enough clearance, Clarence. The fronts are only 1/4"

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Just throwing it out there, if any of you have the axles with the hardy joints that use rwd driveshaft style u-joints they can cause random vibration at certain speeds.  My 85 yota pickup developed a vibration between 50 and 60.  Was smooth outside of that.  Replaced the u-joints on driveshaft and problem solved.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Nope, this is a later model car, it has pot joints.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

On my case= the rack 'slop" was confirmed.

Inner tie rod s joints were loose.  Rack out ( already ordered a new one)  took the tie rod off the end.

Inner cup is 'plastic" and was shattered) not providing any resistance against the back of the ball of the joint.

Rosebud

Quote from: jedduh01 on October 11, 2018, 08:22:29 AM
On my case= the rack 'slop" was confirmed

My joints are pot (😉). Steering rack is about all that's left. Jedduh, did you have any slop at the steering wheel?
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

rauckhwj

you might check the drive flanges. Mine were worn on the inside. replaced both and smoothed out the shimmy

Jimini II

Quote from: jedduh01 on October 11, 2018, 08:22:29 AM
On my case= the rack 'slop" was confirmed.

Inner tie rod s joints were loose.  Rack out ( already ordered a new one)  took the tie rod off the end.

Inner cup is 'plastic" and was shattered) not providing any resistance against the back of the ball of the joint.

That seems to be a common failure on Mini steering racks. Usually i have found on RHD's that the passenger side goes bad first making a clonking noise when on a bumpy road.