Heater fresh air port

Started by ADRay, September 19, 2018, 10:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

Hey all, sorry for being a little lazy about this, but I thought maybe someone would have an easy answer.

Last spring I removed the heater from my 82 Mini 1000. One loose end that I was left with is the 4" (or so) diameter port for the fresh air, located in the passenger foot well. I had initially just duct taped over it, but the tape fell off after a few months, so I'd like to do something more substantial for it.

My question is, has anyone fitted any kind of vent on that port? If so, where can I find one?

Thanks
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

That's a good idea for fresh air on your feet  at least for a right drive car.

something like this? From Vintage air...no idea of the size tho I doubt the opening you have is 4"

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The fresh air feed to the heater on my '88 Mini uses a 3.5" hose.  Maybe it's the same size for all Mk III and up cars?   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

It would depend on whether you car also had the factory "eyeball" fresh air vents on both sides.  (They looked similar to the picture Dave posted.)

If your car did not have those, then you should only have the large port for fresh air to the heater to worry about.  On early cars, that tube went through the firewall directly into the engine bay and forward to the front corner of the grill. 

Early cars without the heater had a blanking plate over the hole in the firewall.

On later cars, especially the ones with eyeball vents, it went out under the right fender and over the wheel to a large plastic "funnel" mounted through the inner wing to the grill.  Cars with the eyeball vents had a "splitter" that mounted under the fender where each path would enter the cabin/dash from the fender.  The large "hole being under the dash.  Blanking that off may be more challenging.

I have heard of folks using drier vent hoses to replace the factory tubes.

ADRay

thanks everyone. I'm most likely just going to try to find a cap for it after all.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998