What is this?

Started by BruceK, September 16, 2018, 05:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

What is this plug?  Found it in the glovebox area of my RHD car when I was fishing a heater hose behind the dash.  Moving stuff around, I might've unplugged it accidentally.  It's a small plug with a spade and cylinder connector marked with a + and - symbol. Hard to see in the photo, but white and black wires lead to the plug. 

At the same time, I've got an electrical problem with my car:  no turn signals, no brake lights, and my voltmeter isn't working.  But everything else electrical seems to be working.

I don't think the unknown plug and the electrical problem are related, but thought I'd mention it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Never seen that style plug before, but do you have a switch off the brake pedal for the brake lights?  I'm sure you checked your fuses? Both fuse box and fuse to the rear indicators that's tucked up under the scuttle near the wiper motor.

MiniDave

That's a connector for radio speakers into the back of a radio....

You do have some inline fuses up under the scuttle you can check.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Thanks guys. I will check it tomorrow evening.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Turn signals and brake lights are powered from the fuse in the fuse box with the green wires, - that's switched power (comes on with the ign switch)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Well crap, turn signals and brake lights work now.   I got the wiring diagram out and traced the magic green wire that is switched by the ignition and checked all the connections behind the dash, on the steering column, and through the fuse box. Couldn't find any obvious reason why things weren't working. Then I tried it again and everything worked.  So I'm happy things work as they should, but I can't point to what the weak spot was.  Which means it can happen again.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Sounds funny, but occasionally spinning the fuses will make things suddenly work again. 

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on September 17, 2018, 06:33:06 PM
Sounds funny, but occasionally spinning the fuses will make things suddenly work again.

Spin the fuses clockwise?

;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Two rotations forward, one backwards, clap once, throw some salt over your left shoulder.

tsumini

Quote from: 94touring on September 17, 2018, 08:19:58 PM
Two rotations forward, one backwards, clap once, throw some salt over your left shoulder.
I think you watch too much Rachael Ray