High Quality Ignition Points for 45D4 to 43D4 Conversion

Started by John Gervais, September 03, 2018, 05:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

I received this today as my back-up to the optical system:

From the website:
https://www.aldonauto.co.uk/ignition/distributors/distributor-parts

"LUCAS 43D POINTS UPGRADE KIT
Many high revving engines using Lucas 43D4 type distributors suffer from points bounce and certain classes of motorsport do not allow electronic ignition upgrades. The original Cooper S points solve this problem but are only available for 23D type units. The solution is this kit which adapts these points to fit the later distributors using a special base plate. Also included is a more substantial external condenser and a red rotor arm. This kit has seen use of 10,000rpm without bounce."

As I don't plan on using the external condenser (DCB104S), I took a new 'Distributor Doctor' condenser (Aldon's DCB104 is similar and probably supplied by the 'Distributor Doctor') and with a slight modification (drilled a 3mm hole) to the brass connector that one normally clips onto the points, and fitted it under the nut instead of the crimp-on ring connector.  If I had the kit here, I'd take a picture to show it.  Basically, the instructions tell you to crimp the connector to the condenser lead and fit it to the contact breaker points - secured with a nut.  (similar to the attached drawing)

The red rotor is stamped 'DD', so we know that it came from the 'Distributor Doctor'.

The contact breaker points themselves are sprung nice and tight.

All-in-all, it's a nice kit for those who have dropped the vacuum advance and want to get some nice, tightly sprung points.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Jimini II

Nice kit.
I had a condenser fail on a Mini trip and my back up condenser also failed. I was out in the middle of nowhere and got a ride from a guy to the nearest parts store which of course did not have anything close condenser wise.
I ended up getting a condenser for a 60's 6 cylinder Chevy which was too big to install in the correct place.
I installed it on the outside mounted to one of the vacuum advance screws and attached it through the hole in the side of the distributor.
It ran fine with no issues and with all the condenser quality issues i ended up leaving it on there and sold it that way.