New Dyno Day at Prather Racing

Started by MiniDave, September 01, 2018, 08:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I'm setting up a play day at a great local shop to run our cars on the dyno. The fellows who run this shop are extremely experienced with old English cars and carbs. The results from our first Dyno there were incredible. Not every car benefited but those that did made significant gains and really run well now. so grab your car and come play with us....

Friday, Oct 5th

Prather racing is on the southeast side of Topeka, Ks and there are plenty of hotels in the area -

Jesse Prather Motorsports
4950 SE Adams
Topeka, KS 66609
785-249-0284

There are a lot of very reasonably priced hotels near the shop and Heartland Park road course is right down the road.

Details are we'll show up at the shop about 8 am and he'll load the first car on the dyno. Each run takes between 20 min to a half hour and as we get closer to the date I'll set up a schedule. Everyone is welcome to hang out at the shop while the other cars are being run on the dyno - I find it fun to see what kinds of results the different cars bring. Right now my plan is to have all the classics run first, there may be some new MINIs interesting cars in the afternoon.

We'll break for lunch around noon and start back up about 1-ish.

I was hoping there might be an event at the nearby Heartland Park Road course that weekend but it appears not, however it's only a few miles down the road if anyone wants to go see the track - I've done probably 500 laps there over the years!

Right now the following people are going to go, subject to change: So we have 2-3 possible openings left......

Dave Craven          Mini
Bruce Kennedy       Mini
Stan Chen             Mini
Gordon Fitch          Mini, Sprite
Seth Weaver          Mini
Dan Stoughton       Mini
Michael Playle         Mini
Deighton Brunson   Mini
John Styers            Jensen Healy
Clancy Schmidt       Race Sprite
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Probably change me to Fd3s Rx7.  Should know in the coming week if I have the day off.

MiniDave

I confirmed with Jesse this morning that we would be there on Oct 5th, he's looking forward to it. He says he has plenty of needles in stock if we need them and he's confident he can gain something on pretty much every car - should be a fun and beneficial day for all!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

For those travelling up from the south, there is a Wyndham Super 8 just a few blocks south of JP Motorsports at 5922 SW Topeka Blvd, Topeka, KS 66619 (Forbes Field) Just take the Topeka Blvd Exit off 75 and go a few blocks further north and you're there. Plenty of parking space for trailers and such.

For those coming up I-35, then I-335 take the 470 exit then go south on Topeka blvd a little ways and you're there.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Rooms booked for the trip.  Staying at the suggested Super-8 in Topeka.

Edit:
What is the individual (or per car) dyno cost?  Do we prepay that to someone and if so, who?

BruceK

I'm booked there too.

I believe in another thread Dave said the cost was about $110 or so  depending on the number of cars done.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

$100 each will cover it, pay me when we get there and if there are less than 10 I'll make up the difference.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Before we get to Prather Racing, if you can - make a note of which needle and spring you're running, also what you have your timing set at. If you don't know it's no biggy, we'll check it anyway but it's good to know where things are set for the baseline runs.

Jesse will have Kent's box of needles and jets and I'll have a few of the more common needle sizes for the HIF carbs too.

Still have a couple of spots open for anyone who hasn't committed....

Based on replies I'll be making up an order of run list next week. If someone wants to go first or last or whatever, just let me know. Generally my thought is to have the out of towners go first and the locals go last. If you have a time crunch, let me know and I'll put you at the top of the line up and you can leave as soon as you like, or hang out all day with us. I expect we'll all head for dinner somewhere after the last car has run and all are welcome.

I think this will be a great opportunity for all of us to get to know our fellow RM'ers - I'm looking forward to seeing all of you there!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Quote from: Scargo on September 18, 2018, 10:18:37 AM
Makes me wish I lived in Kansas.

Uh.......no you don't.     ;D

But you could live somewhere close enough to join us!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

So Michael, when you tow the Moke up do you remove the top? Lay down the windshield?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I have not towed this Moke anywhere yet. 

The first Moke I had I flat towed behind a 2002 Mini Cooper-S.  I removed the top on it, but left the windshield (they are not hinged and do not really lay flat.  The top had a fixed rear window that would make the top act as a "drag chute".

This Moke, I had the top made with a roll up rear window.  I could go either way on the top, but most likely to remove it.  I have not decided whether to remove the windshield when towing.

MiniDave

Right now the weather looks perfect - mid 50's in the am going up to a high of 68 in the afternoon.

Seth has asked if he can go at/near the front of the line as he has a Dr appt later, anyone else need an early T-time?

Gordon has two cars to bring, so we'll let him go early too so he can drive back to Lawrence and swap cars.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Bonus!

Clancy is going to bring his race Sprite over in the afternoon for a few pulls too.....lets make some noise!   77.gif

As of now we are full up, but Jesse says we'll get them all done, no problem.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Bonus #2!

Russ Foust will be stopping by in his Clubby with the now-supercharged Acura V-6 in it!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

With all the suped up cars showing up, I wonder if my Moke is going to have adequacy issues?

MiniDave

My tired old car won't be a whole lot better - stock 1275 AFIK.....

We will make it the best it can be - and it will be very drivable when done.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The 50 miles I just put on mine to begin breaking it in says I'm going to be dyno king.  At least in the modified mini street 1275 class.   ;D

MiniDave

Should we plan to meet up for dinner Thurs evening? I'm thinking I may Super 8 it Thursday too, that way I don't have to get up so early Friday to make the hour's drive and get there by 7:30 to help get set up. I'll see if Jesse has a recommendation for a restaurant.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Sounds good.  I'm in.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Jealousy is running rampant on my end.   :(   Would love to see the numbers my 1380 could make.  :-\
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

stan360

Hey Dave,
If you are organizing slots for us with the times, I am not an early riser  16.gif, maybe I could go later in the order of  the classic mini bunch.

MiniDave

You're on Stan, no problem......let's see I'll schedule you at .....8:30 OK?   ;D ;D

Nah, just let me know when you're on your way. Of course you'll miss some of the first runs.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad