New Dyno Day at Prather Racing

Started by MiniDave, September 01, 2018, 08:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Hope no rain, I don't have windows yet! Loaded up and ready to hit the road.

BruceK

Michael and I are eating lunch with Dan after a quick tour of the shop. Just about to hit the road. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on October 04, 2018, 07:21:26 AM

BTW, what happened to Michael's MINI Clubman?

It did not instill a lot of confidence as a tow vehicle over the weekend going to/from the "All British" show in Round Rock, Tx.  I had been contemplating a better tow vehicle anyway, so made the change.

(My previous two "New" MINIs - a 2002 MCS and a 2008 Clubman-S - did better than the 20016 Clubman as tow vehicles.)

MiniDave

That's Mark's Saucy Aussie in primer?

We're all buttoned down in the hotel for the evening after dinner at the Blind Tiger restaurant, Dan got some plastic over his windows, Michael got his top on the Moke and Bruce and I are locked up tight for the night. The four cars certainly attract a lot of attention!

Tomorrow we hit the dyno!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yes, that's Mark's Oz Mini in primer.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Yellow filler primer ready for block sanding on Marks car. 

gr8kornholio

Figured as much, looking good.  Glad y'all made it up there. Excited to hear the results.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Ready for the dyno runs.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Looks like they are moving through them pretty fast.  Any crazy gains yet?

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on October 05, 2018, 08:46:12 AM
Looks like they are moving through them pretty fast.  Any crazy gains yet?

No crazy gains.   But Dan's new engine, not even run-in yet, made just a shade under 80hp at the wheels.  That was nice to see. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

velopackrat

Can those of us in the bleachers now start converting HP at the wheels to HP at the flywheel?  Dan's 80HP should be like, I dunno... 200HP?
Seriously, 80hp sounds pretty strong.  What's his motor spec?

jedduh01

80 Hp is great!!  Exp for a 'road' engine.  As Dan mentions  its been FUN to start with and break in = now a number to know!

I  dynoe'd my fresh 1275 ( pretty stock all around )  at MME way long ago = and in the 'average' of stock 1275's  62 to 68 Hp at the wheels among all the cars.  (At the wheels too)
      I remember being smack in the middle on point.   I know my engine runs well + works well, but knowing Dan has +20 HP its gonna be a real hoot!

Great to hear! 

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I'll post engine specs when I'm not driving.

94touring

Dyno graph.  One funny thing was seeing the difference between my car in 4th and the others.  My rpms go up quick! Jesse starting running everyone in 3rd gear, which did add an extra horse or two it seemed.  So maybe I could have hit 81.

Specs:
1275 +40 with 10:3:1 slipper pistons
Kent 266 cam
1.4 rockers
KC super sport stage 3 head
Maniflow stage 2 headers
Rc 40 twin box exhaust
Maniflow twin carb fancy intake manifold
Hs4 twin carbs with long ram pipes
Csi 16 point electric dizzy on curve 7
Flame thrower coil
Heat range 8 plugs gapped 30
Lightest verto flywheel available from MED
Turbo clutch.

MiniDave

There's still some very fine tuning that can be done, but look at the HP curve - it just keeps going up - if he'd gone to 6500 I'll bet there's a few more HP in there. The car is super fast!

Just for comparison, Kent Prather's racing 1275 (more like 1300) is now up to 152hp (crank) on a single weber!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Dave post up your stock 1275 for a comparison.

MiniDave

I'll have to go scan it in, but the numbers were 52.5 hp and 61.5 torques, which tailed off dramatically over 5K rpm.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Just unloaded the mini at the shop.  Time to go shower exhaust fumes off me.

stan360

Thanks so much for making the dyno day happen. Sorry I couldn't stay longer as I was trying to sort a friends tire troubles too.  It was so cool to see how  the dyno makes the tune  up process easier and the mini is running great on the ride home. I did discover that in a downpour I have a slight windshield seal leak and since I completely forgot Dave telling me to put  a lock nut on the larger nut covering the throw out plunger I luckily found that nut resting on subframe while I was cleaning my valve cover oil spray. Glad that was just a small problem, missing screw, as I usually look under bonnet before I drive and didn't today. 4 days ago on last drive it was ok so it may have fell out on my crazy drive to T town. It was nice to put some faces to some minis too. Nice to meet you Bruce ! Best driving day I have had yet . Many thanks . I wished I got to scope out Dan's car a bit more but the rain was a bit much during that time , I did get a look at the radius arms and rear brakes and wished I had those , super cool