Bodge!

Started by BruceK, August 27, 2018, 05:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

I did the same for my grille screws. So much nicer this way. Also don't have to worry about the wiring harness rubbing on sharp screws.

BruceK

A couple of weeks ago I did the same for the grille too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jedduh01

I have been working on a customers car =  76'ish Canadian mini =  Came with a 998 and Rod knock and no oil pressure.   Customer had to replace the engine.
  He sourced /FOund  an engine sort of locally = brought it in for Install and running.
Last week = Hey = it runs pretty good =- all checks out = Let me bring your car back! Im done.. 
  I get on the interstate and start going = its going ok . but strangely...

after 8-10 miles== I watch the oil pressure = from 65-  to 55 -to 50 to 40 //Pull her off the road.. Stops on side of road.

I get it re cranked=   25 or less at idle..
Aint pretty.

limp it home (under 50Psi) whole time =   less at idle... No knocking = no death.. but check things out,

Oil plunger =  Why is a 1/4 Nut in there.?

Oil plug magnet + like s spikey tree -  Not good strike 2

New plunger = no improvement to oil pressure.

=- Tear it down = Bye bye bearings.

Someone HAS been in this bottom end before= random hardware in wrong places./  New oil pump = cam looks 'new'
  Bearing (rod and crank=  are STANDARD = and Country brand == Look original.

I think we bought an engine on its last legs.. And some extra trash inside the trans + case made it done and done.

Also now found the spider gears in the differential are VERY Worn = Differential rebuild too! Upcoming!

MiniDave

Those bearings are toast!

Cross pin diff might be worth the money.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Yea  dont bother with a 4$ gasket.. Just put a glob of silicone on it 

Oil Supply Hose = A+ block has crush washers...

MiniDave

Yeah, I have yet to see silicone or JB Weld hold against oil pressure......

My story, 79 Toyota pickup, pouring oil out of what looked like the head gasket, a great big gob of JB Weld stuck on the side of the block - my guess is to stem the flood of oil coming out. Pulled the head thinking I would find a bad head gasket, instead I found the front cover about 1/16' lower than the cylinder head surface. Pulled the front cover - missing the dowel pins that locate the front cover. replaced the dowel pins, new gaskets, put it all together - didn't leak a drop.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad