Choke cable

Started by BruceK, August 25, 2018, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I'm replacing the choke cable on my car and when I pulled the old one out I was surprised to see there is a spade electrical connection on the cable. I haven't seen that before. Is it to ground the cable? Or is it for some type of warning light  that you still got the choke pulled on?    I don't see any wire that would hook to that so perhaps this is from an Austin Metro or something?   Also has a clip to secure it to the switch panel – I'm used to seeing the screw on type. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Yea, both of mine are the screw on type.  Along with the one that came with my 22R's Weber.  I think you're on the right track though that it may be some warning light wire. 

Could be used as a security feature also.  Hook some voltage through a switch to it.  If you don't turn off the switch and someone tries to pull your choke they get a fun surprise.   ;D
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: Whee on August 25, 2018, 08:30:55 PM
I remember the metro having a orange choke warning light.

That must be it.   

My generic replacement choke cable is 60" long - about double what is needed for a Mini.  Easy to shorten, but I wonder what car would a choke cable that long?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Where did you get it? I need a really long one for my engine stand...
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

The twist lock one I got from 7 was long but I was using it on my Toyota so it was fine. Don't remember what he said it was for.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 26, 2018, 06:49:02 AM
Where did you get it? I need a really long one for my engine stand...
I purchased two choke cables during a trip to the UK years ago.  Want the 2nd one?  It's a locking style, brand new, and I just measured it - over 6ft long.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

That would be great, thanks! Anything that you need I have that I could trade you for it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Nothing comes to mind, so I'll take a rain check.    ;D   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I don't need it right away, maybe bring it with you to the Oct Dyno Day?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Oh. Okay. No problem.  Remember to remind me please.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S