Brake servo - later style

Started by BruceK, August 11, 2018, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I am replacing the brake master cylinder and servo on my '88   It originally came with the tall master cylinder without the sevro, but when I had the car built for me I wanted power brakes, so I had a post-89 brake servo and m/c fitted. But the parts were used and the m/c recently crapped out. I figured I'd replace the old servo at the same time as the m/c, you know, the "might as well" line of thinking. 

The problem is that even with newer Mini parts, many of them are NLA too.   I like to replace that nylon colored valve that brings the vacuum hose to the servo (first picture) , but the part I got from MiniSpars a while back is definitely not the right piece.   I've  looked at the MS site for more info but can't find anything, I've also looked on the Minimania site, and the MiniSport site too.

I don't know for sure if there's anything wrong with the old valve but since I'm putting new parts on everything else I'd rather replace that at the same time because it's at least 25 or 30 years old.

Anyone have one of these?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

I was able to remove the piece from the old servo without breaking it and found out it is only a nylon 90 degree elbow piece.  Not a valve at all.   The valve function is handled upstream in the hose to the intake manifold.  I had forgotten the original valve was NLA and I had purchased a different style when I placed my order 2 months ago.  So I have all the stuff I need - and a brand new wrong type  valve I don't need and can't return.   So, ready to assemble as long as don't drop the nylon elbow price and break it. (I did and it didn't). Or step on it once it was on the floor (I almost accidentally did).  Too tired I guess.    Still it's another of those parts on our cars for which there are no replacements available. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

jeff10049

Fairly easy to make a replacement if needed though. A brass 90 with two different size hose barbs threaded in could be used.

MiniDave

You can also find those 90's in plastic at your local auto parts store, they're fairly universal......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Good to know.  Thanks guys.

I've going to have to post a thread about the phenomenon of "might as well" or "as long as you're" that starts small, but leads to doing more and more things that were never part of the plan.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad