Silicone valve cover gasket

Started by BruceK, August 10, 2018, 11:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I'm looking at buying a silicone gasket for an alloy valve cover.  Are they worth the additional cost?    Are they reusable?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I don't think they'll work as well on an alloy valve cover, they need the channel on the tin one to locate the gasket. You could "glue" it in place with silicone sealer I guess.

As for reusable, absolutely.

I have an extra if you want to buy it from me, I got it from MiniSpares so it will 1/2-1/3 the cost from Mania. £8 currently from MS, so $10 plus shipping?

Looks like Mania offer a flat silicone one designed for alloy covers, $20 plus shipping from them, but that one would work better IMHO.

I find the cork ones to work well with the flat surface on the alloy covers, I glue it to the valve cover, then put a layer of grease on the cork on the head side, they never leak and it comes off easily. They last a long time like this......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Thanks Dave.  I think I'll stick with the cork ones - I've got 4 or 5 brand new ones just sitting in a box 

And I'll try your trick for affixing them to the cover. And the grease too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

+1 for Dave's method.  I've used that on the last few Minis and it works well.

To ensure a good seal between the gasket and cover, I set the gasket on a smooth level surface, smear a layer of sealant on the top of the gasket and set the cover on top to let the cover's own weight settle the sealant.  Then I leave it overnight to cure before installing the cover on the car.

MiniDave

I do something similar,  I put the glue on the cover, then position the gasket on the cover, then turn the valve cover over and put a weight on it for at least a few hours.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad