Setting Cam Timing

Started by MtyMous, August 06, 2018, 08:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

Gentlemennn!!!!

I'm finding more and more time to get into the garage now. I'm setting the static cam timing right now. My Kent 286 calls for 106° static. I've got it set to 104° now to account for a little bit of stretch on the duplex chain. Anyone think there's an issue here?

MiniDave

If it calls for 106, why not do that. I doubt a duplex is going to stretch much.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

I've read multiple people online say their duplex stretched and changed their static timing. I'm gonna get back out there tomorrow and set it closer to 106. Doesn't take too much with the adjustable kit I have

MiniDave

Hmm, I'm surprised to hear that......but thinking it thru, if it does, wouldn't that retard the timing further?

Also, how many miles did it take to get loose - hundreds? thousands? tens of thousands? How many miles do you think you'll put on this engine a year?  I'll be surprised if you do 1000 a year actually.

I've had my green car for two years and it's been to Texas, Tennessee and all over Kansas and Missouri and I've done less than 6k, and it's practically my daily. My friend Don has had his Pup for 10 years now and drives the wheels off it - it's been to Texas, Milwaukee, Tenn, Georgia - all on separate trips - and all over Kansas and Mo and he's done 30K in 10 years.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

well it sounds like I'm gonna set it to 106 and let it ride. lol Thanks Dave!

94touring

I've been under the impression the benefit to the duplex was it doesn't stretch like a simplex would. 

MiniDave

That's what I thought too, double the chain = half the stress and wear.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

I've heard there's some very slight initial stretch with the duplex. I've always had a duplex, so I don't have much to compare it with, but we'll see. I'm gonna set it just on the shy side of 106 in case there's some slight stretch. The adjustable cam gear makes it a lot easier. So glad I invested in it honestly.

jeff10049

good idea on the shy side of 106 pushrod deflection is also something to consider so setting up this way helps.

Just set up the cam for my 50 chevy pu project. Set it up about 1.5 shy per the manufacturer recommendation since I was going off the edge of lifter rather than the @.050 method at the valve and not accounting for valvetrain deflection.