Mini Meet East Meets West June 24-27, 2019

Started by MiniDave, July 02, 2018, 07:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

You going across on 64 to St. Louis?

If you come thru KC give a shout, you can caravan up to Denver with us if you like..... 77.gif

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

Yes, more than likely I-64 out to StL and then I-70 from there.
Not sure of the timing of it all so if I don't see you on the road, it'll be on the mountain.

Safe travels all !

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I saw Howard and Neil, but I seem to have missed Dave. I saw the two Minis hitched together in the lot. Hopefully tonight at the banquet.
And I must have talked to Whee, I guess I just need to seek out the black Moke.

PS: just said hello to Dave

MiniDave

Whee is Peter Kyte, one of the hosts of the event, I'll make sure you see him tonight.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

It was a stellar job in organizing and hosting a fabulous event in a fantastic location.  Hats off to the entire MOTR crew and especially to the hard working Whee (Peter Kyte). KUDOS !!

MiniDave

Just got home, other than my little adventure at the top of Loveland Pass my Racing Green performed perfectly. as did my 2009 Clubby - especially driving home in the 102* temps today.

Unfortunately Don's Pup didn't fare so well.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I think it has a blown head gasket...at least I'm hopeful that's all it is.

On the trip out he was adding about a pint every 100 miles, the day before we were going to leave he took a test drive to Glenwood springs and it took a quart in 30 miles, I told him I didn't think we'd make it back to my sister's in Denver let alone the 800 miles to KC. So we made a deal with a guy from Knoxville to take it on his trailer and Don would follow along in the guy's cars (name escapes me - Mike with the purple equinox)

They got to KC about midnight with no issues save a broken tie down strap.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

Sounds like it was Mike McMillan who came to Don's rescue.

MiniDave

Right, that's the guy!

I'm hoping that this time we'll get it cured once and for all and he can just drive it - he's probably going to tackle it in his own garage rather than bring it to my shop, but we'll see. The key will be if we can get the head off with the engine in the car or if we have to drop the motor again. If we don't find a blown head gasket ( I think  Joakwin has had to replace a couple on his too)
his next choice might be to see if he can find another engine or send this one to the machine shop and rebuild it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I also would like to compliment the entire MMEMW team on a job well done, it went off very well, with hardly a glitch, and even those were handled with humor and aplomb. The funkhana was unexpected and crazy fun! Well done MOTR!

Having been to three of these (MMEMW) and several MME and MMW now, I can't help but notice they and all the Mini Meets seem to follow the exact same formula - car show, gymkhana, funkhana, local tour/ride and rallye followed by the wrap up banquet.

Is this format set somewhere and must be followed (or expected)?

Also, I've noticed the only cars that win at the shows are those perfectly restored or in the case of the new MINIs those with lots of stickers and graphics all over them. Not much point of entering a car that doesn't hit those criteria.....

One thing they did at this meet that I really liked was the picture at the end of the car show - Eric did a fantastic job, and while it seemed to take forever to get the cars lined up just so, the results were SO worth the investment in time! However, I didn't find out they were selling them till after the show (can I buy one now, and if so how - and how much?)

Lastly - location, location, location! Snowmass was an inspired choice, both for the scenic-ness and local beauty but also proximity to such a variety of roads and access to other places that were fun to see (like Aspen, Independence pass etc.)

I think next time I'll take a page from Rick Higg's book and add a day or two to the end of the event to go spend a little more time sightseeing in the locale.....even tho I lived in Colorado for a number of years and have already travelled all over the state I would have gladly spent a few more days there.

For those on Facebook, here's a quick vid of the car show pic set up - I'm standing right next to the light pole, FWIW. You may have to watch several times to see it, but there's a surprise in the pic.....

https://www.facebook.com/oregonminisociety/videos/451334079001910/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

drmini

Yes, it was Mike McMillan who came to Don's rescue.  As one who moves a lot of Minis for folks, Dan gave Don my number to call.  Don called and asked if I would be traveling that way anytime soon and if I could transport his PUP back to KC.  No cross country runs scheduled but I told him I might get my friend Mike to haul it back and let Don drive the Equinox back.  Phone calls were made and another Mini owner saves the day.  Amazing how our Mini community is so closely connected.  I guess instead of Six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon, perhaps it's six degrees of separation from Dr Mini?  Anyway, I love it when a plan comes together!  Glad that Dan made the recommendation and a couple of calls got a solution to what would've been a major problem.

MiniDave

Yes, it could have been quite a headache for Don, I'm very happy Hugh was able to hook us up with Mike and a big thanks to Mike for hauling the Pup and letting Don drive his car.

A few pics from the event, I've noticed that a few guys have been posting photos of their trips home to Canada and the northwest on Facebook, if you have FB check them out!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

We are still motoring along, in Yakima last night. Today Mount Ranier and on to The Dalles. Over 4000 miles and just afew minor issues.

MiniDave

The next one of these far away trips I do I'm going to budget in a few extra days for actual sight seeing in the area.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

After we checked out of the resort at Snowmass on Friday, a few of us took the high road and went up to the top of Pikes Peak (14,110) in Mini's. That little excursion was well worth the extra day.

That happened to be just a couple days before the annual Hillclimb, so race teams were in town, paddocks and hospitality tents were set up, and spectators had been camped out at the starting line for days catching practice and qualifying runs.

MiniDave

You drove the Moke up there? Quite the view going thru some of those blue sky turns isn't it?  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

Just like it was throughout the Rockies all week, the view from the road up Pikes Peak was spectacular at every turn.

My 850 Moke would've been huffing and puffing at the higher elevations of that road. We did have Al Frost's Moke as a part of the group, but I rode in Larry Atkinson's Mini Sprint.

tmsmini

I am not sure this is working properly. There are alot of photos. It could take awhile to load. I may have to switch the way the gallery is configured.
With multiple drivers in the same car, they all started to look alike.

MMEW Auto-X photos
http://www.tmsmini.com/cooper/2019/MMEW/

Jimini II

Great pic's.
Those sticky Hoosiers on Dan's yellow Mini from Florida look like they are giving the suspension and bearings a workout lol.

tmsmini

Something broke on that car. I never heard what the failure was.

MiniDave

Broke the diff housing right next to the shifter.....he thinks it's because his daughter (she was driving when it happened) was too harsh on and off the throttle, that combined with the sticky tires was too much for the trans, He said he's getting 140hp and it sure ran like it, I followed him back to the hotel the day before and that thing absolutely flys!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad