What are these tabs for?

Started by ADRay, June 20, 2018, 02:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

I replaced my throttle cable by feeding it through the tab on the right that is sticking out from clutch mc, as the way the old one was. After about 10 minutes of driving, the cable was broken, the bulkhead end fitting had cracked off the sleeve.

It leads me to believe the cable wasn't supposed to be fed through it, and the angle it was held at at the bulkhead was too tight. I had some engine work done a few years ago, and based on other evidence, it wouldn't surprise me if it was reinstalled wrong.

Is the throttle supposed to feed through one of these tabs? Neither of them seem accommodating to the throttle or choke cables.

(P.S. I have sorted out the choke cable that is touching the exhaust manifold)
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MPlayle

The throttle cable should be able to come up through the one off the clutch master cylinder mount.  It should be long enough to have a loose curve up from the tube going through the bulkhead below the main crossmember then loop over the radiator top mount and down into the tube holder above the carb's throttle connection.

The choke cable is supposed to come through the bulkhead on the other side of the carb and loop over the valve cover to its clip and connection.  The way your choke cable is run it is sitting against the exhaust manifold and will cook.

I will go out to my Moke and take pictures and add shortly.

Edit: Added the pictures showing the throttle cable and choke cable routing.  The first two are closer shots of the throttle connection and routing.  The third is the overall throttle cable routing.  The fourth is the overall choke cable routing.

ADRay

thanks for the pics. That's how I had it set up, so I wonder if it was just a defective part. I've ordered a more stout looking cable from a different online supplier.

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

tmsmini

Make sure the hole in the firewall allows the ferrule to fit in all the way.If it pops out the cable can run on the edge of it.
I usually try to run a small wire brush through the hole. One one car I found  a second ferrule mashed in.
Terry

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

just to wrap up, my replacement for my replacement throttle cable arrived yesterday, installed in minutes and works like a charm. The one I purchased was from Moss, and the quality is clearly a step up from the other one.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

I've bought a few things from Moss (mostly for Midgets and Bugeyes, some Mini parts) and I agree that a lot of their stuff is higher quality than what I get from the local Brit parts store.

I also really enjoy their quarterly publication, with stories from people who have or are restoring their cars......some great trip stories in there.....

BTW, are those tabs for sale anywhere like MiniSpares or even Moss? It would save me having to make some. I wondered why I was always having to zip tie my cables away from things like the exhaust manifold......none of my cars ever had those.

Edit: Somerford lists them as part number 21A192, but says they are NLA

Edit 2: found them here  https://minikingdomonline.com.au/product/accelerator-cable-support-bracket/ but, Australia!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

Oh boy, more options. I wonder how long & much shipping from Aus...
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

gr8kornholio

Time wise from Australia isn't bad, but the cost is a little high.  Bonus is the US dollar is stronger than the Australian, but still pricey.  Joys of owning an Australian import, but hopefully I have everything I need from there. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.