Throttle Cable?

Started by ADRay, June 18, 2018, 05:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

last week my accelerator pedal was getting a little sticky and looked pretty tired. Ordered a new one and a new trunnion bolt, installed it last night. it seemed to be the fix, however, it was tighter than the old one, and after 15-20 minutes of driving, it seemed to be sticking and hanging up like the old one. I tried loosening it up, and was having the same kind of issues. It would seem to stick, and I had to push up on the pedal with my foot. Got it home & walked away for the evening.

I'm going to try to re-install it again. It doesn't seem to lock into the slot on the bulkhead  or at the carb (is it supposed to?)

It should also be noted that my carburetor has been giving me guff lately, and wondering if it isn't the cable at all, although when the engine isn't on, the new cable is stiff and sounds awful too like it is scraping against the bulkhead.

What am I overlooking?  Thanks

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

There's a slot in the bulkhead that the tubular end of the throttle cable sits in.  If you miss the slot the cable will bind and eventually fray, causing it to be stuck.  I once had one stick wide open throttle on the highway in traffic!

ADRay

yes. I think that I have it seated properly, but it's kind of loose. The old one was a little tough to remove, which I chalked up to rust. Is it supposed to lock in?
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

They usually fit kinda snug.   You could try some adhesive to get it to stick into place if it's popping out.

MPlayle

Disconnect the cable completely from the carb and make sure the carb linkage is not sticking as well. 

Then test the cable for smooth sliding in its sheath while still disconnected.  If sticking in the sheath while disconnected, it could be that the cable has been acting as an engine ground and cooked inside the sheath (check for good engine ground cable and connections are not corroded).  It will also cook inside and start sticking if it has gotten too close to the exhaust manifold.

There should not be any tight bends in the cable.

The ends do not "lock" into the bulkhead or carb flange.  They do insert into the slots/tubes meant to hold them.  The tension on the cable when connected to the carb and pedal keeps the sheath from coming out of the tubes at each end.