Rear Subframe Tie Downs

Started by MiniDave, June 16, 2018, 11:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

At least the last picture posted of the side-mount style has a full cinch-strap horizontally around the middle of the wheel to snug down the "cap" over the wheel.

gasmini

Dan, I wonder if the straps rub on the paint while going down the road from your last post?

94touring

Looks like so long the straps are angled outward there's no risk.  Wide flares will limit how long you can go parallel to the car though.  I suppose a wide car on a narrow trailer would reduce it an amount too.

Edit: looking this over it seems pretty hard to rub the body.

94touring

Just pulled into my shop.  My trailer aside from rails has a box on each corner to strap into.  There's a lot of options at least.

MiniDave

I prefer this style but it may not work as well on your trailer, where the bonnet style straps go over the tire then straight down (or as close to it as you can) thru a flat loop, then attach somewhere further back where it's easy to reach the ratchet/release This is similar to how Uhaul does it on their car haulers, and I figure they know how to do it.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

On our lightweight Minis, I don't know why this wouldn't work too....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've always used that style too, but on Uhaul trailers as you said.  If I had a full metal bed I'd probably set something up more like that.  I really just have a metal frame along the perimeter to work with.  Till this thread I've never given it any thought and have always just looped into the subframes.  I'll probably have a safety chain with a bit of play on front and rear subbies in case of a full strap failure.  I think I'm sold on that link I posted with the video and dual side strap setup.

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on June 19, 2018, 10:44:31 AM
On our lightweight Minis, I don't know why this wouldn't work too....

Looked at that too. My only concern is rim damage. 

Nicholasupton

I just use loops and normal straps, simple effective and adapts to any tire size.

drmini

Never tie a Mini down by the body or the subframes.  You will certainly damage something.  As for new cars being hauled and tied down by the bodies instead of the wheels, there's 2 reasons they do that.  First off, they have double layers and lower the top level down really close to the bottom cars.  Allowing them to bounce on their own suspension would probably cause damage to the roof.  Secondly, the guy tying them down don't own them and really don't care if he damages the shocks or suspension.  As long as there's no visable sheet metal damage when he unloads, he's golden!

MiniDave

Straps will never hold the car in an accident......the only thing that will are chains and chain boomers.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I ended up just getting these for all 4 wheels. 

MiniDave

That looks like a good solution, you'll know for sure in 10 days or so.

Wonder if Michael's trailer will arrive in time for him to use it to tow his Moke.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

It will be very close as to whether I get the trailer in time.  The shipment tracking shows an estimated delivery to the cycle shop handling the sale as being Monday, Oct 1.  Unfortunately, being a motorcycle shop, they are closed that day, so it would bump back to Tuesday, Oct 2.  I leave to head for DFW to meet Bruce on Wednesday, Oct 3.

MiniDave

Are you set up to flat tow it if the trailer doesn't come in time, or will you just hit the road and drive up?

Bruce, you're planning to flat tow Emma, right?

Google says it's only 15 min longer to go up 75 from Plain Old, Texas as compared to going I-35, then you could pick Dan up along the way?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yes I will be flat towing my Mini up.  And yes we are planning on going through Tulsa.   Love to travel with Dan if he's okay with that. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

As of now I get home the morning of the 4th and will be loading up early afternoon to make the trip.

MPlayle

I am set up to flat tow and will most likely be doing that.

I did a brief "dry run" of flat towing the Moke behind my 2016 Clubman in a large open parking lot (Shriner Temple is just across loop 1604 from my apartment).  I will also get another trial this weekend as I will be flat towing to the TxABCD in Round Rock this weekend.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on September 26, 2018, 08:11:53 PM
As of now I get home the morning of the 4th and will be loading up early afternoon to make the trip.

We should be hitting Tulsa about that time.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Bruce just keep me posted.  I should have your number and will text as I fly back from work with my status.  I'm actually trying to swap trips around to be home the night of the 3rd to allow more time to get the car loaded. 

BruceK

Will do. I have your number and I'll keep you updated.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S