thread tape on coolant temp sensor?

Started by ADRay, June 02, 2018, 05:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

At this point I think it is the difference in sensor position that makes mine seem hotter.

The electrical sensor has a short tip - maybe 3/4"?  The capillary sensor I used has a long tip - about 2".  That makes it stick much further into the head and much closer to the exhaust side of the #1 combustion chamber (a higher heat source location).

I would have to take it out for another run and use the temp gun to report accurate numbers, but I seem to recall the temp of the top of the T-stat housing and the top radiator hose being about 20* less than the gauge, but the gauge being accurate for the head temperature right at the where the sensor mounts as well as the temperature at the #1 spark plug.

MPlayle

I realized I still have the old head from the 998 sitting in the garage and it has the factory sender still installed.  I took a couple pictures to try to show the difference in where the senders sit to clarify my comments about why I think the Moke appears to run warmer than expected.

The first picture is showing where the factory sender tip reaches in the head - looking down through the thermostat opening.

The second picture, I placed a pen into the opening with the end of the pen about where the tip of the capillary sender sits - right beside the exhaust valve area of the #1 combustion chamber.

By the way, anyone need/want a used 998 head?