Shocks!

Started by ADRay, May 30, 2018, 05:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

my sights are set on replacing the parts on my car that can no longer be described as "shock absorbers".

Does anyone have experience with Bilstein B4s? I've had HDs on a truck before and really liked them, but they might be overkill on the Mini.

https://usa.minisport.com/bil19kit-set-of-4-bilstein-b4-gas-shock-absorbers-for-mini-59-01.html

Looking for a good gas shock for regular road driving. Thanks.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

For normal road driving those should be fine. The next step up would be the Gaz adjustables or the protech adjustables

You know you have to pull the gas tank to change the left rear shock? Some people make a 4" hole in the rear bulkhead so they don't  have to remove it (so they can reach the top nut behind the tank) but I just R&R the tank.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

Quote from: MiniDave on May 30, 2018, 06:44:21 AM
Some people make a 4" hole in the rear bulkhead so they don't  have to remove it (so they can reach the top nut behind the tank) but I just R&R the tank.

I am aware of the tank removal (the reason why I haven't taken it on yet...)

Cutting the hole is a brilliant idea - when you say bulkhead, do you mean the panel that is the rear seat back? has anyone done this and have a pic?
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

Yes, the rear seat panel, depending on the size of your hands, a 3 or 4" hole saw will do nicely. Placement isn't critical, near the side and 3-4 inches down from the top should work.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

You can replace the rear shock by just loosening the fuel tank up and moving it to the side.

MiniDave

Sometimes.....I haven't had any luck trying to do that with the big 9 gallon tanks.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I always just move off to the side.  Tanks are relatively easy to remove if needed.